SNOW - Questions, Forecasts & Reports About Snow

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Here's the video I put together from September 22-23, 2007. Took advantage of the snow. Fourth attempt on the Baldy Bowl, and first ascent for me!

I have a bunch of other videos on my site there in the San Gabriels. Warning, I tend to curse, I guess. :lol:
mdostby

Post by mdostby »

cool video
Taco

Post by Taco »

Thanks Mike
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice vid Taco!
:D
Imageniiice!
Taco

Post by Taco »

LOL

Got that from MPnet!!!!! I got sick of searching for mountaineering related pics that weren't copywritten... so I chose good ol' Lando Calrissian.
Taco

Post by Taco »

This friday-saturday, November 30-December 1, 20-40% chance of snow, respectively.

Weather seems to be stable enough to let it stick.

Place your bets now!!!! :lol:
Travis

Post by Travis »

Great, I am looking to get out for a wuick hikeSunday morning and would love to hike in some fresh snow,

what are your plans? Baldy?

travis
Taco

Post by Taco »

Telegraph Peak area. Can't see anything outside or through cameras though, so I'm blind. Hopefully it snowed!
Taco

Post by Taco »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

http://71.116.210.254/webcam/webcam.JPG

Doesn't look like any snowfall as of 1600.... SNOW NOW!!!!

*Crushes various objects with hands out of blind rage and hatred for warm temperatures*
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Want snow?
Taco

Post by Taco »

Michael Mojarro, I really hope you're right!!!!

I just got back from a run a lil' while ago, and it started raining around 6pm... gets my hopes up.

If this works, I'm looking towards a trip up to the Baldy area. Figure I'd go (arrive, rather) around 4pm and hike up near Icehouse, going up Telegraph or something that looks good, if this ends up being good stuff.

Or monday.

Probably both. :lol:

Unless there's no snow. :cry:

Anyone up?
simonov

Post by simonov »

I see we have snow in the San Gabes now. I was thinking of doing a couple peaks in the Cucamonga Wilderness this month and was wondering what you folks thought the snow would be like? I was hoping not to need snowshoes. Is it too late for that?
Nunc est bibendum
Taco

Post by Taco »

From my back porch, looking at the south side of Baldy, there appears to be very very little snow. I'd say crampons might be an option, though I really doubt it. Dawson Peak also seems to have some, anything north facing etc etc.

Not likely you'll need snowshoes for awhile. We're supposed to get some snow this coming friday through saturday night, and at least on paper, it's more significant of a forecast than this past week.

Where did you plan on going? Which trails? Chances are that unless you're the first person on a certain trail, you won't need snowshoes. The other time is if you're breaking trail and going somewhere off the trail grid, as it were.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I was thinking about doing Cucamonga or Ontario, maybe the weekend before Christmas.

One of these days I would like to start snow hiking, with snowshoes and/or crampons, but not without some help. In the meantime I was hoping the dryfoot season wasn't already ending.

Another storm coming this week. Had a hike up Mt Lowe scheduled for Saturday, and so far see no reason to postpone it. But I guess it will be dumping more snow across the San Gabes.
Nunc est bibendum
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

simonov wrote:Had a hike up Mt Lowe scheduled for Saturday, and so far see no reason to postpone it.
Which route are you going to take to Mt. Lowe? Last Sunday I was up that way and the middle sam merrill trail (from Echo Mt. to near Inspiration Pt.) was badly rutted by mountain bikes (on the lower half) and was like an interstate for bikes. They were all courteous but there were a LOT of them. The Castle Canyon Trail on my way down was bike free and in pretty good shape. Also, there were a lot of bikes on the trail from inspiration pt. up to the east side of Mt. Lowe so perhaps the upper sam merrill trail on the west side would be a less crowded route.
simonov

Post by simonov »

HikeUp wrote:
simonov wrote:Had a hike up Mt Lowe scheduled for Saturday, and so far see no reason to postpone it.
Which route are you going to take to Mt. Lowe?
I'm going with a group, from the end of Lake Avenue.

I'm pretty used to mountain bikers from canyon hiking here in Orange County.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco

Post by Taco »

Ontario early-on will probably be a good place for snowshoes. I think they got rid of the dead trees blocking the trail, making it a bit friendlier.
simonov

Post by simonov »

TacoDelRio wrote:Ontario early-on will probably be a good place for snowshoes. I think they got rid of the dead trees blocking the trail, making it a bit friendlier.
Maybe the weekend before Christmas is the one when I pop my showshoes cherry. I'll plan on doing Ontario or Cucamonga that weekend and rent some snowshoes at REI just in case I need them.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco

Post by Taco »

I hope to have some by sometime this winter.

From my only time going up Ontario, it really felt like a good place for a snowshoe ascent. It's got great views, and is all relatively easy terrain.
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

FYI - The trail to Ontario was definitely cleared of fallen trees a while ago (except for 1 biggie you can go around), although there were a couple of small ones that came down recently. It is a nice, gently climb and probably idea for snow shoes. Maybe we'll get that snow this weekend!
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Hi, y'all.

Anyone got any good beta on snow conditions?
Taco

Post by Taco »

It's blue outside!!!! :lol:

Hopefully it clears up enough on Saturday to see something.
He219

Post by He219 »

The pow was so light and fluffy this weekend that snowshoes and even crampons were useless in the Gorgonio Wilderness.
The light powder wouldn't compress enough to be practical for snowshoes.

Rob's TR today indicated the same for the Backbone ..
simonov

Post by simonov »

Thanks, I saw that.

I'll rent some crampons and hope for the best.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco

Post by Taco »

Should be good for crampons in +/- a week, on Ontario.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Studying Rick Kent's photos of his 12/1/2007 Mt Whitney ascent, I don't see much early December snow in the Sierras.

Judging by photo time-stamps, Rick K and his team appear to have trail camped.
Taco

Post by Taco »

The heavy stuff fell more recently. http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 58&start=0
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I'm wondering if there is snow on Iron Mt. and, if so, how low is it? Thanks in advance for any info.
Taco

Post by Taco »

From my house, I can see snow in some gullies on the southwest side, near Allison Gulch. There is a bit of snow on San Antonio Ridge closer to Baldy.

Conditions-wise, I'd bring crampons and poles, just in case. You might have some ice on the summit.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks. That's exactly the info I was looking for.