SNOW - Questions, Forecasts & Reports About Snow

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Bill wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: Bill,

Look, I'm really sorry. Some people. :roll:

HJ
Fortunately, it melts quickly this time of year. Really, you all have me to thank for this phenomenal snow year. Since I sold the snow blower at the yard sale a couple years ago seems like we are getting some pretty decent snow. We've been doing it old school (shovelin) since then. :roll:
I'm getting the big one (Binford) next year so enjoy it while ya got it. :wink:
Waaarmest regards,
Bill
My hat's off to you, Bill.

Damn, my ears are getting cold! Hat back on!

A tip of the hat to you, Bill. 8)
Taco

Post by Taco »

Bill, that's a surefire way to get it to snow, much like washing your car calls in a huge rainstorm.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Taco wrote: Bill, that's a surefire way to get it to snow, much like washing your car calls in a huge rainstorm.
Ya. Kind of a rain or snow dance. I'm a giver. :lol:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

So Bill? How much snow did you get in Wrightwood? Do you know the status of the ACH to the west of town - open to Vincent Gap?
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

For those of you that remember the secret path this thread once followed, the conditions this weekend seem like a winner ( if the forecast holds ). Cold and a little windy for nice firm snowpack after the warmer days we've had prior. I'm sharpenin' my cramp-pa-pons.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Does anyone have a good source for recent snowfall data on ole San Jacinto? I'd rather not call the lady at the tram and ask her to guess. Oh yeah!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Thanks Jim, didn't see any threads there on current weather/snowfall totals. Am I missing something? I'm at work, can't blatantly surf mountain stuff tooooo much.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nothing specific.

Were I you, I'd post a question and see what comes back.

HJ
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Yeah, but then I gotta sign up and blah blah blah. Do you have any idea how lazy I am?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Sorry. My mistake. :lol:

HJ
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Can we turn the switch back on now? :cry:
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

mcphersonm80 wrote: Can we turn the switch back on now? :cry:
I'll second that - but head to the north side to keep things going "Just a little bit longer now" :D
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

It's the second week of May

Who would have guessed snow.

From the NOAA website

Overnight: Scattered snow showers. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 27. North wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

:shock: :D
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I talked to a fellow who spent last weekend in Mammoth. They got 18" of snow Saturday.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Sunday, May 15th, 2011 - 7:30pm - ok, not enough snow for your kinda fun, but still, it's snow 8) ...

Who was up there :wink: :?:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I was up on the ACH in the Waterman area early (before 7am) and it was pouring rain below 6000' and a mixture of snow and rain above 6000'.
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

I was up icehosue saddle but turned around at the cucmonga saddle becase the wind was just tooo cold and strong.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Looking back, I don't think we have as much snow as we did last year on Baldy - this pix taken May 24 2010. Can't speak for peaks further north, tho...supposed to get more snow this weekend. Glad I'm not a thru-hiker!

VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

Is there snow left anywhere in Southern California? Just a patch of it will do :) Looking for some for next weekend for sentimental reasons. I was on Baden-Powell yesterday and it was completely dry. But a friend just got back from John Muir and there was snow in the Sierras at 11k-12k. So I was wondering if there was anything on Gorgonio or Jepson or their friends over there? Anyone know?

Thanks!
Eric Su

Post by Eric Su »

PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Ha ha, had to ask!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Ty, Taco and myself got snowed on during the last two hours last night coming down the canyon, it was the thinnist, weakest $hit I've ever seen. So it's out there, it just doen't want to come in quantities, nor does it want to stay. :evil:
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

You should get what you want this weekend. From the weather bureau forecast discussion:

THE JET STREAM ACROSS THE NORTHEAST PACIFIC STRENGTHENS AND SAGS SOUTHWARD DIRECTING MOISTURE AND ENERGY INTO NORTHERN AND CENTRAL CALIFORNIA THE LATTER HALF OF THIS WEEK. HIGHER CLOUDS AND A COOLING TREND WILL DEVELOP FRIDAY. SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WILL BE ON THE SOUTHERN FRINGES OF THIS MOISTURE ON SATURDAY AND SO WE HAVE A CHANCE OF SHOWERS THEN. A MORE ORGANIZED SHORTWAVE TROUGH APPEARS TO DEVELOP AND MOVE INTO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA EITHER SUNDAY MORNING OR SUNDAY AFTERNOON OR EVENING. THIS WOULD BE THE TIME OF HEAVIEST RAIN...MOUNTAIN SNOW AND STRONGEST WINDS. NORTHERN CALIFORNIA WILL BE VERY WET FOR SEVERAL CONSECUTIVE DAYS...BUT SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA LOOKS WET ONLY SATURDAY THROUGH MONDAY. IT LOOKS RATHER STORMY SUNDAY INTO MONDAY MORNING.
seadweller

Post by seadweller »

Anyone has any latest forecast for this? I wanna do adayhike
in the early morn hours tomorrow like 7:00am start --- just wondering...

By the way, I totally love storm conditions and full blown blizzards ....
My only worry is I hope I can dig my car out upon my return in the afternoon!!
Taco

Post by Taco »

I wouldn't worry about digging your car out from snow so much as digging it out of a pile of OTHER cars in a big crash. It will probably be a HUGE clusterf*ck out there... not sure why I bothered to censor the word f8ck but whatever. It's often really crappy when everyone goes up to 'see the snow', as they say. Strange people. Terrible drivers. Fun to drift around them though.

Anywho, good luck, be safe.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

I second Taco - I almost broke up with my girl as she tried to drive me up that hill (for hours) and drop me off. It's bad. Millions of morons driving poorly, parking anywhere they like, throwing snow/rock balls at each other, making snowmen on their vehicles and driving around with them. It makes me laugh when CA folk mock the people back in the midwest where I'm from. The Mount Baldy visitors make peeps from Ohio look like friggin Einstein.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Every once in a while you have to say "what the f8ck"
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

For a current forecast, go to www.weather.gov and enter Mt Baldy,CA in the local search box in the upper left corner. They are expecting as much as 36 inches of snow over the weekend! I don't know if this will save the season for the local ski resorts. Here are the gory details:

Tonight: Rain, mainly after 11pm. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 41. West wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Saturday: Rain and snow, becoming all snow after 11am. The rain and snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. High near 46. Breezy, with a southwest wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to between 20 and 25 mph. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 15 to 21 inches possible.

Saturday Night: Snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 27. West wind between 10 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.

Sunday: Snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. High near 37. West wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Sunday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Northwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Monday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 39. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.