Cheap Eats for the Trail: Ramen Plus

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Not that this is earth shattering or anything, but I've written an article for SoCalHiker.net about an inexpensive alternative to freeze dried food.

See Cheap Eats for the Trail: Ramen Plus.

HJ
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Good stuff Jimbo. I always take Ramen when I go overnight even though it's water intensive. I take Chili Flavored Ramen and then take a small baggie with shaved carrots, shaved celery, bean sprouts, chopped cilantro, chopped green onions, and lime slices. You can add sliced mushrooms if you want to. And one time I even took a small pouch of Sriracha sauce. I normally eat it the first night since it's so aromatic.

I like it so much I sometimes make it at home. 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yeah, it's a staple. Easy, light, and my daughter likes it.

I like the Sriracha! Won't fly with my daughter, but for my next solo... :)

HJ
Taco

Post by Taco »

As one who has benefited from Jim's Super Ramen (tm) on several occasions, I have to say this is solid stuff. 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: As one who has benefited from Jim's Super Ramen (tm) on several occasions, I have to say this is solid stuff. 8)
Hey, nothing like a little Super Ramen™ on the side of Crystal Crag. Or dodging dislodged rocks with one's little girl. :shock: Good times!

HJ
Rudy Rodriguez

Post by Rudy Rodriguez »

Yeah! Ramen and tuna... Ramen, 5 for $1....tuna pk...$1...mountain house...?...too much! Ramen and tuna and, taco bell hot sauce, and instant oatmeal. Oh yeah and coffee. That's all I'll need. I'll get my veggies and vitamins when I get back to the city!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Ramen and tuna and, taco bell hot sauce
FWIW, The Hat has a ton of different condiment packets, including relish which goes well with tuna I've discovered.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Chick Fil-A has good condiments too, including honey which makes a lot of things better.
I have also benefitted from meeting HJ on the trail, sampled some food at the ski hut one afternoon.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda