Remote Mine Joshua Tree NP

Archived TRs for desert ranges.
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

Its been a while since I've Done anything trip report worthy, but this week i ended up going to a place I have been wanting to go for a couple years. I had no idea where this mine complex was, information on the internet was scarce and not very helpful for locating this site.

I drove out to Joshua tree and started my hike out into an area of the park that doesn't get much tourist traffic. Starting off I hiked about an hour and a half in the wrong basin/canyon system it was a nice waste of time although it was hot (87) and it drained my water supply pretty fast.

ImageDSC_0950 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0931 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

I was finding timbers and cans in the wash so I figured I was in the right area. Eventually I figured out I where I was and headed about 2mi across washes and ankle turning rocks to the correct wash. I found few collapsed shacks and a mine adit.

ImageDSC_1004 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

not long after the shacks I came around a small hill and the full site came into view

ImageDSC_1027 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

closer

ImageDSC_1036 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

inside had a few old bottles and the walls were lined with antique wallpaper and newspaper.

ImageDSC_1046 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1104 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

outside in cabin in the enclosed patio.

ImageDSC_1063 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

about 200 yards up the wash along an old road was another cabin.

ImageDSC_1150 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

inside the cabin is a small kitchen complete with fridge, oven, and range burner. all inoperable but very cool to see the luxury they had out in this random canyon.

ImageDSC_1195 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1167 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

outside of each of the cabins was a huge trash dump with furniture, toilets, anything that was once in the cabin seems to have been yanked out and scattered about.

I continued along the old road another mile past this 3 smaller cabin. there was nothing inside, but checking out the construction was interesting. it looks like someone tried to fix the roof with modern materials... boo

up at the upper mine workings I found a small workshop and an open shaft. A bunch of old cans with old style logos sat in a pile in the workshop.

ImageDSC_0010 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

tools
ImageDSC_1296 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1288 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr
not much inside this mine only some old ventilation tubing the shaft isnt very deep either.

the views up at the upper mine were great.

ImageDSC_1251 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1260 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0113 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

last stop was the lower mine workings on my way out.
remains of an old ball mill, workshop, and mine awaited me.

ImageDSC_0061 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

a lot of leftovers, including a few jars of cyanide.
ImageDSC_0088 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0119 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0073 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

a big compressor/generator thingymabobber

the mine itself was bat caged. this may have been recent. A single fuel filter was left outside the bat cage and a box full of never used in original packaging. lots of trash/remnants of the mining here.

ImageDSC_0102 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

after exploring i walked out a few miles across the open desert back to my car.

ImageDSC_0163 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

I walked across and old WW2 training ground and found what looks like a rifle mounted grenade or something. maybe a sno cone maker, i dont know what patton's training was like.

ImageDSC_0188 by Scott Richardson, on Flickr

great day exploring the desert.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98779591@ ... 4817096906 Full Pictures
psykokid

Post by psykokid »

The back country of Joshua Tree is pretty cool. There's all sorts of roads and mine works that you can explore, as long as you have a vehicle that can make it.

Living dangerously picking up that old grenade though Scott. If you see old ordinance like that just leave it be and take pics of it as it lays. It can be live and leathal all these years later, especially in desert environments.
dima

Post by dima »

Neat! It's always fun to read about cool places you've never heard of.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Neat-o trip Scott. Reminds me that I need to get out to the desert again.
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

psykokid: I didn't realize it was a grenade when I picked it up, thought it was just a rusty pipe or something. about the time i snapped the first pic I realized what it was.

Picture of what the non deteriorated one looks like.

Unclerico: now it the time its starting to cool off.
psykokid

Post by psykokid »

Indeed, this is the time of the year to hit the deserts. While it's cool, but not too cold.

My son's scout troop is heading out to Joshua Tree over Veterans Day weekend and to Mojave National Preserve a few weeks after that.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Wow! What a sweet find! I'm always interested in those hidden mines because you can find some real treasures! I'm wondering about the cyanide though hmmmm?

Nice report and Pictures!
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

They used cyanide in ore prosessing back in the day.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Great find in Joshua Tree and interesting pictures. I can't believe you found a grenade out there on the ground. I hope it's not still live.