2016-10-10: Bailey Canyon Bear Encounter

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

http://ktla.com/2016/10/10/possible-bea ... ice-chief/

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/10/ ... ar-attack/
A 53-year-old man was hospitalized Monday after an encounter with two bears along a hiking trail in Sierra Madre.

The attack was reported shortly before 1:30 p.m. about two miles north of the entrance to the Bailey Canyon Wildnerness Park in the U.S. Forestry area, according to police.

The hiker was hiking along a trail when an adult bear stood on its hind legs, Fish and Game officials said. A second bear emerged and attacked the hiker, who eventually called 911.

He was transported to a local hospital with some puncture wounds and scratches, but there was no immediate word on his condition.

Bailey Canyon and the Mount Wilson trail were both temporarily closed.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html
A hiker has been hospitalized after a bear attack in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains near Sierra Madre, authorities said Monday.

The hiker was attacked about 10:45 a.m. about two miles north of Bailey Canyon Wilderness Park near George’s Cabin and rushed the hospital, the state Department of Fish and Wildlife said. The condition of the hiker, who was described as a 53-year-old man, and the whereabouts of the bear were not immediately known.

The hiker was alone when he said a bear appeared ahead of him in the middle of the trail and stood on its hind legs, said DFW spokesman Andrew Hughan. The hiker told authorities the bear was taller than him, meaning it was a full grown adult, Hughan said.

A few seconds after the bear stood up, the hiker said he was attacked by a second ursine that “came out of nowhere,” Hughan said.
“This typically will be a few seconds, but I’m sure it felt a lot longer,” he said.

After the attack, the bears ran off and the man got up and returned to the trail head where he called 911, Hughan said.

The hiker suffered “several cuts and scratches and possible puncture wounds,” Hughan said.

Two game wardens are now in the area searching for the bear. If they determine it is the bear responsible for the attack it will be euthanized per department policy, he said.

The park is part of a small nature-study area with trails and oak trees, and is surrounded by quiet residential streets. The park and the hiking trail leading up to the attack site have been closed until further notice, authorities said.
psykokid

Post by psykokid »

Bummer that the guy surprised the bears and got attacked. I've seen a few bears on my hikes up the Mt. Wilson Trail, and every time they have high tailed it in the opposite direction.

I'm going to take a wild ass guess that the bear that the guy came upon in front was probably a couple of years old and the bear that came from his side/behind was the mom protecting her "cub". It's not unheard of for young bears to stay with the mom for a few seasons before striking out on their own.

That being said, it's a bummer that they closed the Mt. Wilson Trail as well for now. That's my go to morning spot as I can be at the TH at 5:00 when the street parking restrictions end. Hike up to Decker Springs or Orchard Camp, turn around and be back to my car by around 6:40. Gives me time to drive home, take a quick shower, make the kids lunches for school and then leave the house to drop my daughter off and head to work. #firstworldproblems
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

The bears that attacked may have been mating. From the LA Times:
Department of Fish and Wildlife spokesman Andrew Hughan said in an email that a game warden believed the bears “may have been a mating pair that was interrupted.”
I am waiting for the avalanche of jokes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Strange story...bears don't mate this time of year do they?

Read one account where he says the bear held him by his neck.

Not surprisingly, some stories mention Georgia's Cabin, when it should be George's Cabin.

I've been up near the cabin before and have heard a very large animal thrashing about in the chaparral down canyon from where I was but very near the trail.

Odd story.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote: Strange story...bears don't mate this time of year do they?
Ack, I think he surprised them and they got defensive....or is it on the offense? At least some of them dont scatter, even when it should be plainly obvious there is a human around.

I also think making a move right near a bear is a bad idea. There was a guy who also got mauled over this same type of move this year.......twice I might add since he got attacked running back to his car.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Here is a quote from another forum:
About a 100 yards down the canyon there's a bear cave. A member of the canyoneering community spotted a bear in this cave about three months ago.
Anyone want to climb down there to confirm?
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Anyone want to climb down there to confirm?
I'll take his word for it. :D
mrnizegy

Post by mrnizegy »

A friend of mine had a bear siting early September. He was on a Boy Scout outing with his son. I don't remember where they camped but they left out of Chantry Flats. The one they saw was not very big according to his fuzzy nighttime picture and behaved pretty harmlessly.
robow8

Post by robow8 »

mrnizegy wrote: A friend of mine had a bear siting early September. He was on a Boy Scout outing with his son. I don't remember where they camped but they left out of Chantry Flats. The one they saw was not very big according to his fuzzy nighttime picture and behaved pretty harmlessly.
Boy Scout outing. Chantry Flats. Probably Hoegees. Seen a bear or two up there myself.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Official report
https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2016/10/ ... ornia-man/

".....Wildlife officers and animal experts examined tracks and other evidence at the scene and believe that the first bear seen may have been a yearling (approximately 12-24 months old), while the second bear may have been its mother. The CDFW wildlife forensics lab, which analyzed evidence including DNA extracted from saliva on the victim’s clothing, confirmed that the second bear was female....No further efforts will be made to trap and/or euthanize the bear...."
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Dang AW, you can find the most obscure shit sometimes. Thanks!