Hikers Rescued in Eaton Canyon

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
mrnizegy

Post by mrnizegy »

http://abc7.com/news/hikers-rescued-aft ... f/1558682/

Boyfriend/girlfriend. Rescued in Eaton Canyon. 1000 feet above the canyon. Off -trail in a restricted area.

Sound familiar?
Sean

Post by Sean »

"The couple had possibly faced a $5,000 fine from the U.S. Forest Service for being in an area that was off-limits to hikers - though the agency said a citation was not issued."

Breakin the law, breakin the law!

\ m /
robow8

Post by robow8 »

Sean wrote: "The couple had possibly faced a $5,000 fine from the U.S. Forest Service for being in an area that was off-limits to hikers - though the agency said a citation was not issued."

\ m /
How are you going to get people to stop if you don't enforce?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

robow8 wrote:
Sean wrote: "The couple had possibly faced a $5,000 fine from the U.S. Forest Service for being in an area that was off-limits to hikers - though the agency said a citation was not issued."

\ m /
How are you going to get people to stop if you don't enforce?
Give em "free" health care and a hug.
mrnizegy

Post by mrnizegy »

I have a Home Security false alarm and the City of Long Beach charges me $75 for dispatching police. (To which I hung out with and chatted on my sidewalk for a few minutes afterwards. My alarm seemingly not interrupting an emergency.)

A couple gets SAR helicopter called out for negligence and they get a free ride off the mountain.

(It does make sense, to a degree, why it isn't enforce. If people knew they were going to be charged a few thousand dollars then they might not call at all and end up perishing. (Some might say that's nature just "thinning the herd." But, if there was awareness that the fines were real, then hopefully that'd be an effective deterrent.)