Editing posts

Comments & questions about this site.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Has there been a change to the time allowed to make an edit to a post? IIRC you used to have a limited time to be able to edit your own posts (was it maybe an hour or less I think?). Has this been extended? I don't like the idea of forever being able to edit posts (leads to even less accountability than already exists on this internetweb thingy).
Sean

Post by Sean »

When I became admin, the forum was configured to allow unlimited editing of one's own posts. Since that time, I have noticed a few topics in which the OP deleted their entire post, rendering the rest of the thread basically pointless. I therefore limited the editing time to 24 hours, to maintain the integrity of topic threads over time, while also allowing the author a generous period of time for editing.

If you need to edit or delete an old post, please contact admin. Right now that's me, Dima, or Hikin_Jim. Keep in mind that topic threads are the lifeblood of a forum. There should be a very important reason for wanting to delete an old post, especially an original topic post.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the response. I couldn't remember if there was or wasn't a time limit before - I must be thinking about another discussion forum.