Day Pack Recommendations

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

So I've been using an Osprey Talon 22 for the past 7 years or so and it's finally developed a small hole in the bottom and on one of the mesh hip-belt pockets. I don't really need a replacement, but I may use this an excuse to pick up a new bag anyway. ?

For me, 22-25 liter volume is optimal for a day bag. Also on the wish list are:
  • Hydration reservoir
  • Stretch side pockets (not mesh)
  • Stretch shove-it pocket (not mesh)
  • Hip belt pocket (not mesh)
  • Exterior attachment features for sticks, etc.
  • A small pocket or 2 for glasses, keys, maps, etc., but I don't need a ton of "organization."
In doing some searching, I haven't come across a bag that hits all of these points precisely. The Osprey Skarab 32 fits the bill in every respect, but it is a little bigger than I was hoping for. The Osprey Skarab 24 has everything I want except hip belt pockets. The MHM Switch 26 has everything but exterior attachment features.

So does anyone have a suggestion for my "perfect" bag? I could always get another Talon 22 (which has been a solid bag), but I don't know that I like the new "Stow-on-the-Go" trekking pole attachment. I also have a couple of other very minor nit-picks about the Talon which admittedly may have been addressed in the "new and improved" version.

Anyhoo, I can definitely live without the Holy Grail of day packs and get one of the above bags, but before I do, I'd interested in what you guys/gals have to say on the subject.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I like the pole storage options on my Osprey Atmos backpack but that is a totally different kind of hiking. For day hikes I use a REI Flash 18 which I really like because it's light and simple - doesn't have most of the things on your list. In the winter I'll bring my old REI Traverse which is 30 liters to carry bulkier stuff.
This probably doesn't answer your questions except for the fact that I have used the quick pole attachment.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Thanks Jeff. I too have an REI Flash 18. I like it a lot, but I use it for a different kind outing.

The Lowe Eclipse 25 looks promising. https://lowealpine.com/us/eclipse-25-5
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Old post but if you're still looking REI Garage has a sale with additional 25 percent off right now, the Kelty Ruckus might meet your criteria. Seems to load funny but I always stop if I'm getting something out of the pack anyway. (Coupon code is Garage25)
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/ ... -28-liters
Donald Shimoda
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

I use an Osprey Skarab 24 as my standard day hike bag, I've been very happy with it overall. The only thing I would change about it is adding hip belt pockets, so the Lowe Alpine Eclipse 25 looks nearly identical while adding that feature. I haven't tried that brand personally, but Skarab 24 is getting a little beat up (mainly minor tears to the outside stretch pockets related to bushwhacking) so I'd certainly considering it when I need a replacement and would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with Lowe Alpine gear. I did just buy my fifth Osprey pack, so maybe it's time to branch out...
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

JeffH wrote: Old post but if you're still looking REI Garage has a sale with additional 25 percent off right now, the Kelty Ruckus might meet your criteria. Seems to load funny but I always stop if I'm getting something out of the pack anyway. (Coupon code is Garage25)
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/ ... -28-liters
Thanks Jeff. I have not pulled the trigger yet. Hadn't considered the Kelty but the price is right for sure. Btw, the saw either you or your doppelganger at Cedar Crest on the South Kaibab Trail at the South Rim on November 19. Don't suppose you were there were you?
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

headsizeburrito wrote: I use an Osprey Skarab 24 as my standard day hike bag, I've been very happy with it overall. The only thing I would change about it is adding hip belt pockets, so the Lowe Alpine Eclipse 25 looks nearly identical while adding that feature. I haven't tried that brand personally, but Skarab 24 is getting a little beat up (mainly minor tears to the outside stretch pockets related to bushwhacking) so I'd certainly considering it when I need a replacement and would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with Lowe Alpine gear. I did just buy my fifth Osprey pack, so maybe it's time to branch out...
Yeah burrito, hip belt pockets are a nice feature that I've grown accustomed to. I don't have experience with the Lowe pack either so it would be great if we heard from someone who has actually used it. Since the original post, I've looked at the Osprey Talon 33. A little bigger than I was thinking about, but it's a pretty sweet rig and hits all of my boxes on my check list. https://www.osprey.com/ca/en/product/ta ... LON33.html
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Uncle Rico wrote:
Thanks Jeff. I have not pulled the trigger yet. Hadn't considered the Kelty but the price is right for sure. Btw, the saw either you or your doppelganger at Cedar Crest on the South Kaibab Trail at the South Rim on November 19. Don't suppose you were there were you?

I wish. April is my next trip there.
Donald Shimoda
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

An older version of the Talon 33 is my second day pack, I use it primarily in the winter when I need more room for clothing and is easier to attach my snow shoes and ice axe to the outside. It's a bit large for me outside of winter use, but I do like it, so if you don't mind a slightly larger pack it would serve you well.
gardonj

Post by gardonj »

I'm very pleased with my Osprey Skarab 24. Very comfy to carry.
Rudy Rodriguez

Post by Rudy Rodriguez »

Everybody seems to favor light day packs. I go the other route on a day pack. I figure a short hike allows me to handle the weight for a short period of time. My day pack is a Maxpedition falcon 2. Its 23L at 3.2 lbs. The advantage in this pack is its bombproof ruggedness. And its got molle compatibility. I can carry up to 4 liters, just on the hip belt, making me a camel when there's no water; I can carry what I'll need. I do wish it had just a little bit of a frame for my back.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I like light packs because I can walk faster and therefore farther.
FWIW, I got that Kelly pack and it really feels cheap. The side bottle holders are so small that anything more than a mini 10 ounce water bottle falls out. But it is light.....
Donald Shimoda