BALDY - Archive of Mt. Baldy-related Discussions

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Wow, that first picture is incredible. I grew up in Glendora and that view looks so freaking familiar. Also messing around in Google Earth, I'd say it's taken right around where the 210 hits Citrus Ave, which is my childhoodhood. :D

Out of curiosity, do you remember where you found that one?

Great find and thanks for sharing!
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

The postcard photographer Burton Frasher, who worked the period 1920 to 1950, took pictures of the San Gabriels along with much of California and Arizona. The Pomona Public Library has a searchable database of his work available online. It can be found here:

http://content.ci.pomona.ca.us/index_frasher.php

Here is one of his pictures of Baldy, Ontario and Cucamonga. Pomona was farmland.

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

This is my take on the first picture...

T McPherson

Post by T McPherson »

Excellent guess!
simonov

Post by simonov »

Nunc est bibendum
Taco

Post by Taco »

They've got something similar in Big Bear, the "Alpine Slide", which rides on a bobsled-type track. It's a lot of fun. With how steep Baldy's terrain is, one at Baldy would reach 'Ludicrous Speed' in no time!
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

I would buy a t-shirt that said "I Went Plaid Down Baldy Bowl".
Taco

Post by Taco »

LOL
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I have read the comments on the San Jacinto board about the Palm Springs tram closing early in high winds and stranding 17 people on top. It makes me wonder. What if you were riding the Mt. Baldy ski lift, summer or winter, and the lift failed in mid operation. How do the people dangling in the air get down? Do they throw you a rope and tell you to rappel down? I'm curious if they have a rescue plan.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

jmac

Post by jmac »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That was intense.
Breabonnie

Post by Breabonnie »

FREE SCENIC RIDE LIFT TICKET TO BALDY NOTCH:

I get these in my email from time to time. The website also has other deals to consider. But this is why I subscribe. This print at home ticket is only good through 2/15 so enjoy a break and a hike in the cooler weather and perhaps a nice lunch at Top of the Notch as a thank you.

http://www.getfreeticketshere.com/Shop/ ... dghvpaituu

Enjoy! And happy valentine's day.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I went last weekend - $10 for a round trip ticket with a $10 coupon for dinner. They have the same deal this Friday and Saturday, gotta do something to keep people employed with the lack of snow up there.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

I had a friend used to work Mt Waterman Ski Patrol.
Some evacuations can be done running lifts backwards slowly.
I do think sometimes lines need to be strung - that would take many hours.
seadweller

Post by seadweller »

Just curious where I can find info about people who got into
trouble on Baldy, in 2011?

thnx
everyday

Post by everyday »

Hmmm...cant find specific numbers of direct hiking related fatalities, but theres a lotta bodies found up there, how they get there isnt always known.

Neat lil article -- http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/deaths.html
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Try contacting San Dimas Mountain Rescue Team: (sdmrt.com) or Sierra Madre Search & Rescue (smsr.org)
seadweller

Post by seadweller »

Thank you all for the links!
bradical1982

Post by bradical1982 »

Hiked up Ski Hut / Baldy Bowl trail yesterday. About an hour into it, near the base of the bowl, I looked up from the ski hut and I could make out a group of people hiking directly up the bowl towards the summit... definitely not on any trail.

This looked completely insane, and was wondering is this is something people actually do or was just a foolish group of people? Those must be 40-45 degree slopes at some points. I know people do this in winter, but I can't imagine that ground is safe to hike in summer... hard enough to keep your footing descending parts of ski hut due to the shiftiness of the rock and dirt.
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

I've done it quite a number of times. The slope ain't that bad (20 degrees in a few spots, maybe 30 degrees max), its the loose scree, combined with the relentless exposure of the mid-summer sun & heat, that can make it miserable. Just stay to the right, away from the fall line of those cliffy-type projections, and you'll pop out between Harwood and Baldy. And it bears repeating - do it in the early morning to avoid the heat.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Thinking about joining up with the masses for this Baldy expedition:
http://www.mtbaldyskilifts.com/summersolstice.php

Sure don't need the guide for this hike and I think they have the timing wrong in their website blurb but it's always good to get out and meet new people in the mountains.
Donald Shimoda
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

4X4 van shuttles from the ski lift to the "drop off" point. Fascinating.

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I thought it might be just as easy to fire up Chair 4, drops off at almost the same spot. Either way it skips the hard hill at the beginning of the hike.
Donald Shimoda
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

Groupon is offering a deal: $29 gets you two roundtrip lift tickets for the Mt. Baldy Ski Lift plus a $20 gift card to the restaurant at the Notch.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/mt-baldy-la-1?c=all&p=8

Seeing as how lots of people have bought this already (a prior deal site also offered this deal a month ago, I believe), we can expect substantial crowds at or near Mt. Baldy this season. Luckily, they won't be crowding Manker.
curiousscoutsurvivor

Post by curiousscoutsurvivor »

hi guys
im new here...jus quick background..im 20 but have been out in the wild all my life boy scout for years and years but never in the san gabriel mountains
however recently been trapped in the la area for way too long.. heard from a guy that if i want to get away for a while a good place with hardly anyone around in that area in the right places is mount baldy..i know im probly gunna catch crap for this but i dont care... i want to "disappear" for most likely 2 weeks maybe more maybe less i am gunna be hiking out... but i know that im not gunna be able to carry that much food soooo heres the questions 1 any recommended areas with the least population 2 is there small creeks to fish out of.. or can i bring a bb gun or a 22 or whatever and hunt small game squirrels etc
thank you
curiousscoutsurvivor

Post by curiousscoutsurvivor »

please???
Taco

Post by Taco »

Post moved to General Discussion. The questions and comments section is for questions and comments regarding the forum, not the mountains.

Cheers.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

If you want to get out for a couple of weeks, head up the East Fork of the San Gabriel River which flows by Mt. Baldy. You can explore Iron Fork, Fish Fork, and Prairie Fork as well as many lesser side canyons.

Fishing? Here? Good luck.

Hunting is illegal unless you have the proper license and then only in season. Living off the land? In Southern California? Again, good luck.

The native americans themselves couldn't live off the land in terms of fish and game. They relied on acorns as their primary food source. Acorns will give you the worst case of the runs if you don't know how to prepare them properly, and preparing them properly is a lot of work.

In terms of food, if you want to eat it, you'd better bring it.

HJ
tracker

Post by tracker »

Not to be total downer on you but there may be a couple reasons why you aren't getting many responses to your question.
Where do I start?
>This is Los Angeles.
Most of us are not trapped here. It is our home and we choose to be here. There is a price for living here: There are a lot of people and therefore a lot of laws. You are asking people to help you do something that is not real popular and will likely be illegal. If you didn't know that it is illegal to hunt tree squirrels in LA County, I'm thinking you aren't up on the fishing and hunting laws. Now if you would eat ground squirrels, wood rats, and gophers, that would be different. Poach a deer? Good luck. There are more people than you can realize up in these mountains and getting caught is a real possibility. I know of two game wardens that hike to the bridge to nowhere on a regular basis. And they are friends with the crew of LASD's "Air-5". Cell and sat phones are pretty common with hikers.
Several of the drainages in the remote areas that might have had a trout or two have been "de-trouted" by State and Federal agencies to comply with a court order to protect endangered amphibians.
Remember your Boy Scout lessons and remember -This is LA. Good luck in your quest.
Sean

Post by Sean »

curiousscoutsurvivor wrote: i want to "disappear" for most likely 2 weeks maybe more maybe less i am gunna be hiking out... but i know that im not gunna be able to carry that much food ...
Personally, if I wanted to disappear for two weeks, I would haul about 150 Clif Bars to Upper Fish Fork and set up camp. But for you, I would suggest hiking up the Baldy Bowl/Ski Hut trail from Manker Flats. There is good water near the Ski Hut. Continue up the steep trail for another mile or so until you reach the ridge. Instead of turning right and heading up-ridge to Old Baldy, turn left and walk a short distance to a single campsite. If it's not a weekend, you'll probably have the site to yourself. You'll only be a couple hundred feet away from the trail, and you might get an occasional visitor, but most people don't bother walking over there. Whenever you need more water, you'll have to drop back down to the Ski Hut and climb back up to the ridge, which should be a piece of cake for a serious Boy Scout such as yourself. In your spare time you could also head up to Old Baldy and have a look around. If you can't carry two weeks worth of Clif Bars, then I suppose you could buy food off the dayhikers along the trail. Let me know when you're going up there. I'll bring a bunch of Clif bars and resupply you for $3 a bar.