Kellys Camp Spring (Ontario Peak Trail)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
simonov

Post by simonov »

turtle wrote:Simonov, do you consider the water from Columbine safe to drink without filtering?
Since it comes right out of the mountain, I would say yes, unequivocally.

But then I never treated my water until very recently when I started hiking with a Katadyn, which I use as much for the convenience of pumping out water without all the crap floating in it as for concern about microorganisms.
Nunc est bibendum
Migolito

Post by Migolito »

I'm heading up to Kelly's this weekend. I remember reading the spring is inop. Is that still the case? If so, can we fix it?
T
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Spring is not flowing. As to whether or not you can fix it, that remains to be seen. I think you'd probably need a pick and a shovel to dig it out. The spring box probably needs to cleared out or replaced.

Good luck,

HJ
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We hiked to Kellys Camp Saturday 6/11. Someone has repaired the spring box and installed a new pipe. Water is flowing better than ever. Thanks to whoever did this work. This is the second spring. A large, dead tree came down during the winter directly on top of the first spring, but it never had much of a flow anyway.

simonov

Post by simonov »

That's great! I'll be heading up there ASAP!

Now I wonder who could have repaired that spring box? Anyone we know? Image
Nunc est bibendum
Madrox

Post by Madrox »

Awesome, I have never seen any water up at Kellys before. :)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Sweet!!!

HJ
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We hiked Ontario Peak yesterday 7/2. The water flow is still excellent. A camper told us that the rangers rebuilt the spring box. Also, the spring about 1/2 mile below the saddle still has great flow.

muddeer

Post by muddeer »

Will Kellys Camp spring flow for the rest of the summer?
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

muddeer wrote: Will Kellys Camp spring flow for the rest of the summer?
The old spring tended to dry up by the end of summer. With the spring box being rebuilt and this being a wet year, it may last longer. It would be useful if those who spend time at Kellys would report on the flow.

The spring 1/2 mile below the saddle has always been dry by August, but the flow this year is stronger than usual.
muddeer

Post by muddeer »

Thanks, Richard. I may lead a beginners' backpacking trip up there this summer.
simonov

Post by simonov »

RichardK wrote: The old spring tended to dry up by the end of summer. With the spring box being rebuilt and this being a wet year, it may last longer. It would be useful if those who spend time at Kellys would report on the flow.
Exactly two liters per minute on 3 July.
Nunc est bibendum
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

RichardK wrote: We hiked Ontario Peak yesterday 7/2. The water flow is still excellent. A camper told us that the rangers rebuilt the spring box.
Nice! It's always great to see examples of our Adventure Pass $ at work. :)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

RichardK wrote: Also, the spring about 1/2 mile below the saddle still has great flow.
Do you mean Columbine Spring?

HJ
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

HJ - No, Columbine is more like a full mile below the saddle and always flows. There is a small spring about 1/2 mile below the saddle that has early season water. Last Saturday 7/23, it had slowed down quite a bit. It will be dry soon. From the trail, it looks like a small, short creek. I have never explored upstream to find the source.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

RichardK wrote: HJ - No, Columbine is more like a full mile below the saddle and always flows. There is a small spring about 1/2 mile below the saddle that has early season water. Last Saturday 7/23, it had slowed down quite a bit. It will be dry soon. From the trail, it looks like a small, short creek. I have never explored upstream to find the source.
I've wondered about that one--always figured it was a creek coming from snowmelt above.

FYI for anyone interested: As of Saturday, Kelly Spring was producing ~1 liter/minute.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

RichardK wrote: HJ - No, Columbine is more like a full mile below the saddle and always flows. There is a small spring about 1/2 mile below the saddle that has early season water. Last Saturday 7/23, it had slowed down quite a bit. It will be dry soon. From the trail, it looks like a small, short creek. I have never explored upstream to find the source.
OK, I think I know where you're talking about.

I didn't think you meant Columbine. I've never seen Columbine dry.

HJ
hiiker

Post by hiiker »

Today I hiked up Ice House Canyon to Kelly Camp and back. The weather was almost perfect. At Kelly Camp I stopped by both springs to check their flow. The main spring (the one with the PVC pipe) was flowing 350 ML per minute, down from 2 months ago when I checked it. The other one had a somewhat better flow IMO. However, I could not measure it since it flows into a small pool.

The temps were pretty chilly at the camp, 44f in the shade at around 8:30 a.m. It was a little warmer at the Ice House Canyon Saddle, 51f in the shade.

If you haven't done so it's now time to head up the canyon to view the fall foliage. A lot of the trees and bushes are at or near their peak.

hiiker

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Good info and good pics. Thanks!

HJ
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Sorry I missed you; I went to Cuca.
It was a stupendous day.

My T/R is posted on Calimountains and is worth a read because of the surprise I had...
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

The repair job on the spring must have been a good one. It's usually dry by October. Thanks for posting the info!
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Stopped by Kelly Spring last night and as one might expect, it's pretty much closed for the season.

Spring flow: ~1 drop/min

Nipply temps

Fall-down tree on lower Icehouse Trail
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

It looks like the wind storm hit Icehouse Canyon. Did you see many downed trees overall? The Whitney Portal Store board reports a lot of trees came down there, but the buildings and trailhead structure were spared. Mammoth Lakes basin reportedly has 300 fallen trees.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Richard~I only saw a few downed trees; expected to see more. The one that fell across the trail was the largest.
bradical1982

Post by bradical1982 »

Have plans to hike cucamonga peak from icehouse canyon, then descend and camp for the night at Kelly Camp.

My question is, what is the water situation at Kelly Camp? I know there is suppose to be a pipe installed that provides water, but various reports I've found from past years indicate it doesnt always have water.

Anyone been there recently?
Tim

Post by Tim »

I passed through Kelly Camp last week. I'm not sure about the pipe but there was a large group of college aged campers there and they said they were getting water from a stream just north of the campsite. I didn't check it out to confirm, but I do recall there is a small seasonal stream north of there.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Tim, was there any water flowing?
Thinking of spending the weekend up there and would rather not have to carry a couple gallons with me...

thanks,
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

The water was flowing Sunday. Nice and cool. The old metal pipe and box have been replaced, there is a white plastic pipe now.

There were even a couple of old dirty patches of snow near the camp, which could be used to cool a beverage.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Cool, thanks. Home for the weekend.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
aj

Post by aj »

Does anyone who's been up there recently know if there is still water at Kelly Camp?