Kellys Camp Spring (Ontario Peak Trail)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
jfr

Post by jfr »

I was there on Memorial Day weekend (ten days ago) and the spring was running fine, flowing at about 600 ml per minute (two minutes for a very full nalgene bottle). There is also a small pool/seep in the ravine 100 feet from the spring a bit further from camp. I saw a deer drinking from it.
My hiking trip reports: https://hikingtales.com/
tmmabey

Post by tmmabey »

Just got back from Kelly Camp. Stayed Friday night June 15. Water is still flowing in a steady trickle. Filled a liter bottle in about 2-3 minutes.
hiiker

Post by hiiker »

Today on my way to Bighorn Peak I stopped by both springs to check their flow. The flow out of the pipe remains unchanged from the last report. The flow from the spring without the pipe is very slow. I didn't measure its flow rate but it didn't take very long to fill its depression up after I cleared all the water out of it. This is a "pump only" spring. It could be an alternative source if the water coming out of the pipe stops flowing later in the year.

Water reports would be helpful for the remainder of the year for both springs. Anyone that happens to be in the area of these springs please check on them if you have time. Thank you.

Hiiker

Pipe flow

Other spring

Temp at Kelly Camp 9 a.m.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I have read various reports about other unpiped springs in the Kellys Camp area, but I have never been sure about their locations. Where is this spring located?

Since this was a low snow year, I expect these springs to dry up at some point. So, frequent reports are very helpful for trip planning. Thank you for posting.
hiiker

Post by hiiker »

It's only about 25 yards from the pipe. I took this photo last Oct.

Other spring location
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

hiiker wrote: It's only about 25 yards from the pipe. I took this photo last Oct.

Other spring location
So, basically just downstream.

Interesting that they only repaired one of the pipes (there used to be two).

HJ
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
hiiker wrote: It's only about 25 yards from the pipe. I took this photo last Oct.

Other spring location
So, basically just downstream.

Interesting that they only repaired one of the pipes (there used to be two).

HJ
I was up there today and the spring is still trickling--I'd estimate about 4 minutes to fill a liter bottle.
The "other spring" in the photo is in the Lost Creek drainage and is just west of the present spring. It has always been dry in my experience, except for run-off/snow melt. There are some old rusty tools and PVC pipe buried over there. Downhill from the present spring there are wet areas caused by the spring overflow. There was a pipe there for a time when the old spring box was clogging up, but I believe the source was the same.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Good updates; thanks, Dave.

HJ
Sean

Post by Sean »

There was a steady but very weak flow at the Kelly Camp pipe yesterday. You could probably get a liter after a few minutes.

taktical

Post by taktical »

Has anyone been through Kelly's Camp recently? If so, I would appreciate any report on the condition of the spring. Thanks in advance.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

taktical

Post by taktical »

Much thanks! I totally missed that.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We hiked to Kellys Camp today to check out the spring. It is all but dry. Water was coming out of the pipe one drop at a time. It would take forever to fill a bottle.

The forest service put up a new sign at the trailhead with pictures of the Icehouse Canyon Resort.

JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Thanks for the water update, that may change my plans for this weekend by carrying more.
I remember having a beer at Icehouse before it burned down the last time. Sitting in the big room looking out towards what is now parking lot.....
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
longcut

Post by longcut »

the piped spring was dry as a bone. the other "unpiped" spring was also dry if I was looking in the right place. Ive never been sure about the exact location of the other one but I check about 30 yards up and down of Kellys camp on the gully and there was nice green clumps of grass but no water to be gathered that i could see.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Confirming longcut's report. The spring at Kelly's is totally dry. From today:

RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Thanks Rico. We really, really, really need a wet winter.
The Steady Foot

Post by The Steady Foot »

How is the water situation at kellys camp? Columbine spring below the saddle?

Grazi
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We were in Kellys Camp today. The spring is bone dry. Not a drop.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

:(
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Anyone happen to have more recent info than this? Hopefully some of the monsoon rains helped?
I was looking to head up FRC to Ontario and wanted to have some water for the walk down.

Thanks in advance
tarol

Post by tarol »

Thinking about hiking there next month - do you know if there's water at the camp and will it continue into April?
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We were in Icehouse Canyon for the first time this year yesterday. The early season creeks/springs between Columbine and the saddle were all dry. The creek that crosses a little before the Cucamonga wilderness boundary was down to a trickle. Although we did not go as far as Kellys, I am hard pressed to think that there is much water there. Columbine and the springs near the trailhead had good flow.
tarol

Post by tarol »

Thanks - anybody been up recently to confirm?
jchristopher

Post by jchristopher »

There was water at Columbine spring yesterday (Memorial Day)
Didn't get to Kelly's though. If you go up please let us know.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I was at Kelly's Camp on Tuesday. Was able to get water from the weak, natural flow in the gully west of camp. Couldn't find the pipe, even though I've been to it several times. It looked like someone might have buried it. Anyone know what's going on with that?
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I couldn't find it last time I was there either. Kind of glad to know it wasn't just me feeling very lost.
Donald Shimoda
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

Any news this year regarding the water at Kelly's camp? I would imagine there should be plenty of water, but I'm curious if anyone's been up there recently.
psykokid

Post by psykokid »

I'm going to head up there next Saturday to recce the water situation before going up with my son's Boy Scout troop the weekend after. With the wet winter I would expect there to be water flow but who knows for sure. If no one else chimes in beforehand I'll post what I find by late Saturday afternoon.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Water is flowing at Kelly Camp, I was there on Friday. Filled a 32 ounce bottle in about 30 seconds. Some work has been done to clear brush around the pipe.

Donald Shimoda