Lonnie DeCloedt Archive

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Mount Langley (14,026') and Cirque Peak (12,900')
August 2-4, 2005

By Lonnie DeCloedt

Hike Stats from GPSr:

August 2, 2005 (Trailhead to Cottonwood Lake Three):
Distance: 5.53 Miles
Starting elevation: 10,056'
Lowest elevation: 10,032'
Highest elevation: 11,119'
Total elevation gain: 1,072'
Total elevation loss: 304'

August 3, 2005 (Cottonwood Lake Three to Mount Langley and Cirque Peak):
Distance: 14.31 Miles
Starting elevation: 11,157'
Lowest elevation: 11,091'
Highest elevation: 14,030'
Total elevation gain: 4,422'
Total elevation loss: 4,665'

August 4, 2005 (Cottonwood Lake Three to Trailhead):
Distance: 5.92 Miles
Starting elevation: 11,157'
Lowest elevation: 10,056'
Highest elevation: 11,147'
Total elevation gain: 305'
Total elevation loss: 1,159'

Last year, on August 11, 2004, Ashley and I headed up to Cirque Peak. The next week, on August 25, 2004, we went after Mount Langley. Both times I went the wrong way and failed to make the summit. Ever since then, I've been biding my time, waiting for the chance to go back and exact my revenge. I finally had the time and opportunity, and headed back up there, though this time without Ashley (fortunately, as it turned out).

It feels great to finally get these two done. Now, I can once again say I have a 100% success rate -- I have now made it to the summit of every mountain I have set out to conquer. I've only failed four times (Silver Peak, Iron Mountain #1, Cirque Peak and Mount Langley), but have gone back to each one and done it right eventually.

Sierra Nevada Mountains
(Golden Trout and John Muir Wildernesses)

-- August 2 --

Beginning the hike at the Cottonwood Lakes Trailhead, I somehow managed to set the camera to 400 ISO again, so the first few pictures in this gallery are a bit grainy. You'd think I'd know to check that at the start of a hike by now, wouldn't you?

[Note: Unfortunately no photos from the first day could be recovered.]

I set up camp at the same spot I had last year, near Cottonwood Lake Three. Throughout the gallery for last year's Langley attempt, I kept referring to this lake as number four, because the USGS map labels it as that. The map is wrong, though, as I later found out.

On the northwest end of the lake is a small waterfall. This is the outlet from lake four above.

7:45 pm
Temperature: 53°
Wind: 1-2 mph

-- August 3 --

5:30 am
Temperature: 48°
Wind: 0 mph

Today's hike will start on the other side of the lake, near the waterfall I checked out the previous evening, where I would head up to lakes four and five in the bowl ahead, then make my way up Army Pass. There's still some snow in the bowl up here.

Fellow hikers camped on the saddle between lakes four and five. I would see them again on the summit of Mount Langley.

[There was] a tiny chipmunk on a large rock [and] wildflowers by the trail.

The view northeast.
20050803_41.jpg
Mount Langley to the north.
20050803_42.jpg
[Note: Only partial captions could be retrieved for the remaining photos.]
Snow on the trail at the t...
Snow on the trail at the t...
This was the largest snow ...
This was the largest snow ...
-- August 4 --
One of the stream crossing...
One of the stream crossing...
Some False Hellebore (Indi...
Some False Hellebore (Indi...
Here's another sign I didn...
Here's another sign I didn...
Back at the trailhead and ...
Back at the trailhead and ...
Lonnie DeCloedt - 2004 Bio.png
Sean

Post by Sean »

Mount Whitney (14,497')
August 11, 2005

By Lonnie DeCloedt

Hike Stats from GPSr:
Distance: 21.35 Miles
Starting elevation: 8,443'
Lowest elevation: 8,376'
Highest elevation: 14,498'
Total elevation gain: 5,570'
Total elevation loss: 4,976'

I got a permit for the Mount Whitney Trail for September 15 during the lottery earlier this year. A little while later I decided I also wanted to try the Mountaineer's Route, and decided I would do it a month before that hike. I called the Lone Pine Ranger Station to reserve a permit for the Whitney Trail for this trip also, so I would have a backup plan in case I decided against the Mountaineer's Route for some reason, and also so I could return to the Portal on the main trail instead of heading back down the MR. (Although there is often some confusion about that, a permit is not needed to take the main trail down after ascending the MR. I knew this, but just wanted to keep all my bases covered.)

I headed north after work on Tuesday and arrived at Horseshoe Meadow in the rain. That didn't bode well for the trip, and I almost turned around and headed back home right then. For some reason, I just wasn't looking forward to this hike. I forced myself to stay, however, and the rain soon stopped, allowing me to set up camp. For the previous couple weeks, I had been wavering about my decision to ascend the MR, concerned about the Class 3 section near the top and the snow still said to linger there, and the rain I found on my arrival made up my mind -- I was not going to do the MR. Maybe some other time.

My original plan called for me to hike the first two or three miles of the MR on Wednesday, as a conditioning hike and to check out the route, since I would be hiking in the dark for a while. With my decision to not take the MR, that left Wednesday free, so I drove north to Manzanar for a visit, then a little further north to Independence to check out the museum there. Heading back to Lone Pine, I stopped at the Mount Whitney Restaurant for lunch, then headed up to the Portal, where I slept in my car before the hike. Several times I put the key in the ignition, intending to go home and just skip the whole thing. I just wasn't into it this time. I didn't leave, though, and did end up doing the hike, reaching the summit of Mount Whitney for my second time. Despite not really wanting to be there, I managed to have a good time anyway.

Sierra Nevada Mountains
(John Muir Wilderness)

-- August 9 --

Horseshoe Meadow from the Cottonwood Pass Trail.
20050809 03.jpg
The cabin.
20050809 04.jpg
I accidentally discovered this cabin two years ago, last time I was up here acclimating before hiking Mount Whitney. It's kind of hidden in the trees, so I'd bet many people don't notice it. When you're on the Cottonwood Pass Trail, just under a mile and a half in, as you make your way over the first creek crossing, it's on the left (south), down a faint use trail.

Whoever built it must have been pretty short. That doorway is only about five feet tall.

The cabin in Horseshoe Meadow.
20050809 05.jpg
I saw this little guy duck into a hole on the side of a log and stopped to see if he would peek back out.
20050809 10.jpg
I pre-focused the camera on the log, switched to manual focus, and waited. It only took a minute or so for him to get curious enough to see if I was still there. Too bad pre-focusing like that only made sure the log was in focus, not the squirrel. At least resizing for display here on the web makes that less noticeable.

If he had a door, I'll bet he would have slammed it on me...

-- August 10 --

Since I had decided to cancel my plan to hike the Mountaineer's Route, there was no need for me to do any route finding the day before the actual hike. Instead, I headed north to Manzanar, a "Relocation Camp" (a PC term meaning "Concentration Camp") for Japanese citizens during WWII. There's something about the place that draws me like a magnet, especially the tiny cemetery at the back (west) end of the mile-square compound, every time I'm in the area. They recently added a new exhibit hall in the old school building that I hadn't seen and wanted to check out.
20050810 01.jpg
Manzanar was completely dismantled after the war ended, but they appear to be at least partially rebuilding the camp to restore it to its original state.

It's fascinating to see some of the things people leave in the cemetery(ies). This faded old "Winnie the Pooh" book was on a grave in the Pet Cemetery, just north of the small "human" cemetery.
20050810 02.jpg
A rock and duck at the cemetery entrance.
20050810 03.jpg
Sometimes I wonder just how much money is scattered throughout this cemetery. I'm sure it's a significant amount. I know I've left several dollars in small change here myself over the years.

[There were] paper (origami) cranes tied to a fence rail at the cemetery's entrance. [There is] a monument in the middle of the cemetery. Mount Keith (13,977') looms in the distance to the west.

The bottom symbol on the front of the monument.
20050810 05.jpg
The entire inscription, when translated, reads "Soul consoling tower." Inscriptions on the back read "August 1943" and "Erected by the Manzanar Japanese."

A beer bottle left on the tower.
20050810 06.jpg
It was full, but since the cap is gone, I'm assuming it was rainwater, not beer.

Rocks, coins and other items left on the monument.
20050810 07.jpg
That snail was there a month ago too, but someone has since rearranged it and added yarn reins around its neck.
20050810 08.jpg
There are only about a dozen marked graves in the cemetery. Most just have a simple wooden cross as a marker, but three of them have actual tombstones, like this baby's.
20050810 09.jpg
One of the other legibly marked graves.
20050810 10.jpg
A wide angle shot of the cemetery, looking northwest.
20050810 11.jpg
After visiting Manzanar, I drove north to Independence, to see the (free) museum there that I've heard about numerous times. While there, I found out that [the] sign [at Manzanar is] a replica. There is another replica in the museum. Nobody knows what happened to the original.

By the way, if you have a chance to drop by that museum, do so! There is a lot of interesting history on display there, not only about Manzanar, but also related to the history of the Owens Valley and surrounding desert area. I'll be going back there again.

-- August 11 --

[Note: Unfortunately Lonnie's full captions from summit day could not be retrieved.]
20050811_38.jpg
20050811_39.jpg
Looking east from the top ...
Looking east from the top ...
Zoomed in on Lone Pine Lak...
Zoomed in on Lone Pine Lak...
Another picture of the Gol...
Another picture of the Gol...
One last Golden-mantled Gr...
One last Golden-mantled Gr...
Lone Pine Lake.
Lone Pine Lake.
The outlet below Lone Pine...
The outlet below Lone Pine...
Sean

Post by Sean »

San Gorgonio Mountain
August 31, 2005

By Lonnie DeCloedt

I've been wanting to hike the Vivian Creek Trail to San Gorgonio Mountain all year, but something always seems to come up to stop me. Last week I headed up here only to find the permits were all gone at the ranger station's self-issue desk. I gave it another try this week and was able to get a permit this time. There was a lot of water flowing this time, much more than I've ever seen up here before.

[Note: Only two partial captions could be retrieved for Lonnie's photos from this trip.]
Grinnell Mountain.
Grinnell Mountain.
Lake Peak and Ten Thousand...
Lake Peak and Ten Thousand...
20050831_32.jpg
20050831_33.jpg
20050831_43.jpg
20050831_44.jpg
20050831_45.jpg
20050831_46.jpg
Sean

Post by Sean »

I've added several of Lonnie's TRs from 2005. After hiking Whitney and San Gorgonio, he developed a bone spur and stayed away from hiking for over a year. This is probably a good place for me to take a break as well.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks Sean.
Gene

Post by Gene »

A poignant vist to the cemetery at Manzanar. A few years back we visited the museum there. They had a display of log books of the incarcerated. and there it was, the name of of best friend's Father's family.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Wow! I just took the time to read some of those trip reports.
It's too bad that marker is now missing at the Stony observatory near Devils peak.

I will have to read the rest when I have more time.