Black bear in Monrovia Canyon Park

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

My wife and I were out for a leisurely walk to Monrovia Falls (we also visited Sawpit Dam) and I jokingly apologized to her that we didn't see a bear. A few minutes later, when we got back to the upper parking lot, she spotted a bear sitting in the park about 50' from the road. He was scratching himself (herself?) and paying no attention to the people wandering around. I got pretty close with my cell phone to take some video. He eventually walked up to the turnaround loop, sniffed a tree, then started back toward the park. He wasn't hanging around the trashcans or begging people for food, so I didn't haze him. I was sort of conflicted about this, but after a few minutes of capturing his friendly mug, we drove down. The ranger (nature assistants) at the booth were not concerned when I reported him on the way out. They said he had been hanging around the area for a couple of weeks. I got as close as 40', closer than I should have. This video is collection of 4 snippets, the last one was shot from inside the truck.