Gabrielino Trail (Big Santa Anita - West Fork - Arroyo Seco)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I'm interested in day hiking the Gabrielino Trail from Chantry Flat to JPL. The Wikipedia entry reports the mileage at 28.5 miles and the elevation gain at 3500'. A brief look at the map seems to indicate more along the lines of 4500' including the ups and downs.

Does anyone have first hand experience or know of anyone who has done this? Any links? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Interesting. That's often done as a two or three day BP. I've done all of those sections separately, but not as a day hike. I'll bet you could do it if you got an early start on a nice long Spring day and travelled light and fast.

I haven't got any hard info not having it done it as a day hike, but the sections are something like this:
1. Chantry to Newcomb Pass. Pretty easy, goes along Big Santa Anita until approx. Sturdevant Camp and then ascends to Newcomb Saddle. Water readily available along the way until you leave the canyon and start climbing to the pass. Climb to Newcomb Saddle not too bad as I recall, but exposed (sun). Bathrooms available (if you care) at several of the trail camps/pic nic spots. There are emergency phones too, but not sure how well they work.
2. Newcomb Saddle to Switzer. Descent to W Fork SG River not bad. Water dependable in river most years. Head up river and then climb to Red Box. Not too bad of a grade. A lot of nice shade. Descent from Red box isn't bad, although that section of the trail doesn't appear to get as much use as some of the other sections. The trail from Red Box departs from the NW corner of the W Red Box parking lot. Not too hard to find. Water available once you hit the canyon bottom as you descend from Red Box. Bathrooms available if you care at several of the trail camps, at Red Box, and at Switzers Pic Nic area.
3. Switzer to JPL. Plenty of water at Switzers as you descend through pic nic area to Switzer Falls area. Don't take trail of course to go to base of falls, but stay right which stays high to avoid the "grand canyon" section of the Arroyo Seco. No water here; quite exposed (sun). Trail was pretty eroded in spots last time I was through here. You eventually get back down toward the canyon bottom where water again is available. From Oakwilde down, it's pretty straight forward. Water readily available. You do have some stream crossing which could be a bit wet depending on what kind of rain we get between now and when you take your hike. You can exit at Altadena Drive if you want to cut it a little short or you can leave your car in the lot at the top of Windsor at the corner with I believe Ventura. I prefer to leave my car on Altadena Dr. when I can since a) I avoid some of the dumb paved road and b) it can be a sitting duck in that lot. WATCH OUT FOR PASADENA'S INFAMOUS PARKING RESTRICTIONS.

You'll need a car shuttle or something to get back to Chantry Flats -- unless you REALLY like walking.

Hope that helps.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks HJ. Your description agrees/confirms with how I have envisioned it. I was most uncertain with the upper part of the section from Switzer down to JPL.

Problem with starting at Chantry is that you can't get in until "sunrise", so I'll have to wait until sunrise is a bit earlier than it is now. I'm thinking a nice cool weekend day in late March or April. Then next year I can do it in reverse - JPL to Chantry!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:Your description agrees/confirms with how I have envisioned it. I was most uncertain with the upper part of the section from Switzer down to JPL.
That upper section above Oakwilde but below Switzer Falls is probably the least used section of the whole Gabrieleno trail. A lot of people hike to the base of the falls, but very few take the rt. fork. Coming from JPL, it's a long hike up to Switzer Falls that would require a car shuttle. A lot of people just turn around at Oakwilde. There aren't a lot of drop in points between JPL and Switzers. Yes, there's the Gould Mesa drop in from ACH, but that doesn't save you much. One can also enter/leave via dark canyon, but that's not an official trail and is a bit beyond what most people will do. All that to say that upper stretch is the least used. Like I say, it was passable but eroded. Some parts of the trail were very sloped, where the uphill side of the trail tailed off quite a bit down to the downhill side of the trail. Don't think it would be a big prob since you'd only have a day pack.

You may already have this map at home, but here's a good overview map:
http://www.caliberdt.com/~bill/May2004Hike/hikemap1.jpg
http://www.caliberdt.com/~bill/May2004Hike/hikemap2.jpg
The route is marked in purple. Note that the route exits at Altadena Drive not the public trailhead parking lot.

MAJOR EXTRA CREDIT. :) The yellow route is an optional way to avoid a car shuttle. You walk along Altadena Drive until you get to the Eaton Canyon Nature Center entrance. Go in, visit the Nature Center, then take the toll road to Henninger Flats and then to the top of Mt. Willson, descend the Sturdevant trail to return to Chantry Flats. For serious overacheivers only. :-)

HikeUp wrote:Problem with starting at Chantry is that you can't get in until "sunrise", so I'll have to wait until sunrise is a bit earlier than it is now. I'm thinking a nice cool weekend day in late March or April. Then next year I can do it in reverse - JPL to Chantry!
I wonder if the residents or the pack station ever get an exception re the gate. They may not, but it might be worth chatting up the owner at the pack station. Would be nice to start at first light on the trail.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Is overnight camping allowed at Chantry? I know of the nearby trail camps like Hoegees and Spruce Grove, but I'm wondering if you can basically car camp at Chantry.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I don't think you can camp at Chantry. There are picnic tables but no camp sites. You could call the Ranger Station and ask. You could also just sleep in your car and see if anyone says anything. Depending on your vehicle type and how low a profile you keep (don't use any lights), I bet you could get away with it.

You could bypass the whole hassle if you do the route clockwise.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote:You could bypass the whole hassle if you do the route clockwise.
Assuming I finish before dark :D ! Don't want to be locked behind the gate.

I'll figure something out. Thanks for the input.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

If you do it clockwise, you could do a "bike shuttle." By "bike shuttle" I mean you position a bike in the Chantry Flats area, and then bicycle out when you finish your hike. On a bike it should be a fairly easy ride to get back to your car, and the Chantry gate is one you can get a bike past fairly easily.

You could bike all the way back to your car. It's about 13 miles. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&g ... 39568&z=15

Or you could just hike down the Chantry Flats Rd to a spot where you get cell phone reception and have someone pick you up at the gate.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hey HikeUp. I did that hike a few weeks ago from jpl to chantry in one day. It's ez. I started at 6 and ended at 6. Got a ride back. YOU CAN DO IT.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

HikeUp and I are planning on doing the Gabrielino Trail on Friday, April 25. At the moment, the plan is to meet at the Windsor lot at about 5:30 and take a car to Chantry Flats, heading up when the gate opens at 6:00. We would be happy to have more company.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

I can't go :cry: I hike on Saturdays only. :cry: :cry: :cry: You guys would probably hit me or something. Hey AlanK, do you think Bear Flat to Baldy trail is ok to do now w/o snow stuff? crampons and ice axe? Please let me know. Thanks.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I made some comments about snow conditions on the Baldy thread. Basically, Bear Flat can probably be done without winter gear if you go late enough in the day. Care is required above 9000' until you are about even with West Baldy.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Thanks AlanK.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

AlanK wrote:HikeUp and I are planning on doing the Gabrielino Trail on Friday, April 25. At the moment, the plan is to meet at the Windsor lot at about 5:30 and take a car to Chantry Flats, heading up when the gate opens at 6:00. We would be happy to have more company.
One of the planners of this event got out of synch with the other one. The bottom line is that the organizing committee decided to move the hike date from Friday, April 24 to Saturday, May 3.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

ive been wanting to knock this trail off my list
i would have come along with you guys but i got
a job interview..if you can,would you take some pics
of the trail camps along the way.[devore,westfork,valley forge]

im curious to see at what time you guys arrive back to the car
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

friendowl wrote:if you can,would you take some pics
of the trail camps along the way.[devore,westfork,valley forge]
Sure! I love it when I get a request I can actually grant. 8)
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

AlanK. you little stinker. Did you change the date so it was on a Saturday just for me???? I might go. I would like to start really early though, like before 5 am. It's a long hike. If I do go I won't carry all the garb that I took last time I did it. I think my pack weighed over 35 lbs. I know I can go a lot faster if my time is too slow for you guys. Remember I carried all my water (3 gallons) to prepare for that Rabbit Peak hike. That hike is just so far away and nobody I know wants to go with me. CHARLES YOU BUM. :evil: I KNOW YOU ARE READING THIS AND YOU LIVE SO CLOSE DOWN THERE. CALL ME UP AND LET'S GO! LOL. But AlanK, That would be a blast! How many people are already going? It took me from 6 am to 6 pm. It's so flat compared to Baldy or Iron or any of those other hikes. You gonna feel really funny walking up from JPL w/o any incline at all. The only part that seems like an incline is from devore to newcomb saddle and that really isn't that steep. It's just near the end and you be tired from crossing the stream a bunch of times. Do you think feet swell more than normal on hikes longer than 20 miles? Mine sure did.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

AlanK wrote:
AlanK wrote:HikeUp and I are planning on doing the Gabrielino Trail on Friday, April 25. At the moment, the plan is to meet at the Windsor lot at about 5:30 and take a car to Chantry Flats, heading up when the gate opens at 6:00. We would be happy to have more company.
One of the planners of this event got out of synch with the other one. The bottom line is that the organizing committee decided to move the hike date from Friday, April 24 to Saturday, May 3.
sooooo? What does the organizing committee think about all the FIRE and SMOKE? hmmmmmmmm? I can only speak for myself but I do not like smoking cigars while hiking. :cry:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

FIGHT ON wrote:What does the organizing committee think about all the FIRE and SMOKE? hmmmmmmmm? I can only speak for myself but I do not like smoking cigars while hiking. :cry:
The organizers have decided to pull the plug on this Saturday's hike. :(
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Well there are "other" places ya know. Just pull out that old map, close your eyes, take that finger and start to hover over the map in circles and repeat after me. ROUND AND ROUND SHE GOES, WHERE SHE STOPS, NOBODY KNOWS. and plant your finger on it. Open your eyes and low and behold! THAT'S THE NEW HIKE FOR SATURDAY! :)
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

tempting.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

I looked on the map and sure enough the Gabrielino Trail is still there!
:lol:
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=34.20470,-11 ... ilson%20CA
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Does anyone know the conditions between Red Box and JPL on the Gabrelino trail?

Does anyone know if the parking area is open up there?

How about ACH to that spot?

I know we have more snow coming and would greatly appreciate new information on Thursday after this storm is past?

Thanks

Lilbitmo
:D
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Patrick - you plan on hitting Gabrielino on Friday or Saturday? I just inherited my neice and nephew through January 3rd, but I'd like to go. I got your email this afternoon, but didn't read it. It came in as my machine was shutting down. My neice and nephew are old enough to stay by themselves for half a day so chances are good I can make it. Send me a PM.

~EnFuego
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Was on the portion from ~ switzers to Oakwilde, it is in good condition. flowing water you'll have walk on rocks across the creek a few times.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

The parking lot at Red Box is open - I was just there on Sunday. BUT - you need to get there early (before 9am I'd say) because it completely fills up with snow looky-loos.

Snow shouldn't be a problem on the trail. The road may be closed or require chains on Thursday or Friday, but I would bet by the weekend it will be fine.

Just somewhat educated guesses...

It's a great hike though. Beautiful canyons.

Frankly, I'd start at Switzer's instead of Red Box - there's not too much of interest between Red Box and Switzers. Same advice about getting there early to get a parking spot applies..
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Is the Parking Area at Switzer open this time of year? Like it is at Red Box?

I don't get that way much. Other than doing the whole Gabrielino Trail last year and from South of Big Bear all the way to Miller crossing over the Winter of 2006 on the PCT, I've just been busy doing other hikes.

Since one of the group got sick 10 miles in last year and I had to climb the wall of a canyon to get help from Conservation Group to take him out (just south of Red Box by about a mile) it cost us so much time we did the last 5 miles in the dark, so I'm looking forward to getting a much better look at the area below Switzer Falls, Oakwilde, Paul Little - nothing worse than having to rush to finish in the dark.

lilbitmo :D
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Yes - the Switzer parking area is open all year. There is a gate at the top of the road that goes down there - it is supposed to be open at 8am, but sometimes the rangers aren't too timely....if for some reason you can't drive down to the trailhead, you can park at the top and it's a short walk down the road to start the hike.

My personal favorite is to have a car shuttle set up and exit up the Gould Mesa fire road, rather than going all the way down to JPL. That lower stretch is nice, but it's more of a walk in a park (along with lots of people, kids, bikes, dogs, horses, etc.) than a hike.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Sometimes they do close the Switzer's gate if it gets really busy. I personally find that walking back up that hill from the picnic area to ACH to be a pain in the butt after a long hike (assuming my route ends at Switzers), but sometimes it's hard to avoid.

Gould Mesa is a good exit. There's a bit of a swimming hole near the camp, which can be refreshing on a hot day. The Gould Mesa exit is a bit painful on a hot day (exposed). On a hotter day, I might walk all the way out to one of the lower exits rather than climb up from Gould Mesa to Angeles Crest Hwy.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

I know the trail is officially closed, but has anyone been on this section recently and can tell us the condition? Anyone ever done this then the Rim trail to Wilson?