Peak recommendations in Chimney Peak Wilderness + Owens Peak Wilderness

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I'm camping at Chimney Peak Campground this weekend and want to hit a peak in the area while I'm there. I would love to do Lamont, but at 7K+ feet, I imagine it could have a lot of snow still.

Do you guys have any recommendations for lower peaks in the area that are likely to not have a lot of snow right now?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I haven't really been in that area, but Peakbagger.com is a great resource when looking for nearby peaks. Just search it for something sort of close, like Chimney Peak, then scroll around for ideas.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

tekewin wrote: I haven't really been in that area, but Peakbagger.com is a great resource when looking for nearby peaks. Just search it for something sort of close, like Chimney Peak, then scroll around for ideas.
Yeah, I've been looking at Peakbagger, SummitPost, HPS, AllTrails, etc. There's obviously a ton of peaks in the area. I'm just looking for some recommendations rather than picking a random peak off of a list. ?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I'm going back in a couple weeks. Any recs?

I did Lamont last time. Awesome hike.

I wanted to do Owens this time, but unfortunately, part of the PCT is closed between Walker Pass and Chimney Peak CG.