Biking Death Valley: Titus Canyon, Eureka Dunes, Saline Valley, the Racetrack

Archived TRs for desert ranges.
dima

Post by dima »

So I said to Taco "I want to go ride in Death Valley. How are the roads?" And he says "Way too rough and sandy." And then I thought "Oh, I'm sure it's fine."

So when a long weekend came around and the weather looked reasonable, Kris and I made a loose plan, and showed up at the park late on Thu night. The plan was to make two loops: Titus Canyon on the day 1 and The Racetrack, Saline Valley, Eureka Dunes on the next 2-3 days.

We started riding North from partly up Daylight Pass road. This is paved. As expected, there are cool rock formation. At Daylight Pass:

We crossed the CA-NV border (no CA signs, but both "welcome" and "good-bye" NV signs), and turned off pavement onto Titus Canyon Rd. This is soft and somewhat washboarded, but not terrible. The road is straight until it reaches the Grapevine mountains, where the sand and washboard disappear. We climbed about 2000ft up to Red Pass, an area with very red rock.

Past this you descend to the Leadfield town site

This is an old mining ghost town. A few buildings, some adits, and piles of tailings remain:

Apparently Titus Canyon road was build specifically to access the town. The interesting part of the road begins immediately below the town site. This is a narrow canyon just wide enough for a dirt road. In fact, only downhill traffic is allowed here.

There's a working spring in the middle somewhere. It's next to the marked petroglyph site, and is fairly obvious. I got a flat in this canyon. After installing the spare tube, I flatted THAT a few minutes later. Then I used all of my patch kit and half of Kris's trying to get either of the tubes to hold air. The patches just wouldn't hold. Eventually (after 7 patches, I think) it held enough to leak slowly-enough to get us back to the car. We rode ~ 25 miles and gained ~ 3000ft at the end of the day to complete the loop. All the patching business used up a lot of time, so we finished in the dark. 62 miles total ~ 4500ft gain, ~ 27miles unpaved.

Next day the first order of business was to figure out what to do with the air situation. We went to Beatty, and were told that the nearest place to buy some tubes was 75 miles away. A convenience store in that town did have a VERY el-cheapo patch kit, that I bought. This turned out to be magical. I was able to patch both tubes, and they held. So late in the day, we cautiously started the big loop. The plan was to try to get to Eureka Dunes with my questionable tubes, and if that was a problem to return the same way. Initially the road is straight, and slowly climbs the northern end of Death Valley. This starts at ~2000-3000 ft.

The road is somewhat soft and somewhat washboarded, but not terrible. A storm was brewing South and West of us

For a while we were outrunning it. We arrived at Crankshaft junction (near the end of Death Valley), and took a hard left to climb up into the Last Chance range. The climb (2000ft I think) was steep, but the road condition was much better.

It rained on us for a bit on top, but only for maybe 20 minutes. At the top is a big mining site. Based on the yellow rocks and the smell, I'd guess this was a sulphur mine

The steep descent to Eureka Valley was paved (!) and took no time at all. Then the pavement ended (just the descent was paved), we turned left, and soon the dunes came into view

The road here isn't paved, but is in GREAT condition. We were flying, and the 10 miles to the dunes took no time at all. Camp at the primitive campground at the dunes. 42 miles. Maybe 2000ft gain. Pretty much all unpaved.

In the morning we climbed up the dunes a bit. They're BIG. Kinda like Kelso Dunes.

My tire still held air and we were able to bum some water from another camper, so we broke camp, and continued down the road. Here the USGS "4WD" road starts, and the park service maps call out "deep sand". They aren't kidding: the road in the valley around the dunes is REALLY soft. But that lasts only a few miles. Then you leave the valley floor, and climb up Dedeckera canyon towards Steel Pass. For jeeps this is very technical towards the canyon mouth (and there were lots of them here). For bikes, it's fine. The road is soft-ish, but there's no washboard.

After a while you can see the dunes behind you

We climbed ~ 2000ft. I startled a very jumpy rattler

Then we rounded a corner to get a first glimpse of the Inyo Mountains. The big thing in the middle is New York Butte.

Then there was a long, steep descent to Saline Valley. Here the road is made up of rocks. So it's "soft", but not with sand; it's sort of a large gravel. My tires were marginal, but I guess it worked. This road surface continues on Saline Valley floor. We came up on a burro, and looked each other in the eye for a while. Then he started making burro noises and walked off.

Eventually we arrived at the Upper Saline Valley warm spring. This is lightly developed: there's a nice rock+concrete pool in a cluster of palms, surrounded by a burro-proof fence. Nobody here. A few miles down the road is the middle spring. I got another flat, and my triumphant re-entry into relative civilization was walking with my bike, carrying my bags. The naked dudes soaking in the pools were not impressed. I swapped out the tubes, and was good to go. Here the road improves, and there are people and many more vehicles. The road becomes smoother and wider. But also softer, and more washboarded. So not a clear win for bikes. A bit further down the road is the lower springs. These are most developed and have the most people. Most of these people are naked, so no photos. There's a palm oasis, a number of pools, a dish-washing area with the hot spring water plumbed into a tap. There's a lawn and a fish pond sourced from a cold spring. The camp host goes by "Lizard Lee". He would like you to know that there're to be "no drums past 10pm". Because "this isn't burning man". This place is in the middle of absolutely nowhere. We filtered the tap water, and hung out for a bit. Needed to put more miles behind us to stay on schedule, so didn't camp here, or take a dip. Next time. Below the springs the road passes Saline Dunes, so it's really soft and really washboarded. It was also really windy, so the descent felt like a climb. At the foot of the Inyo Mountains is a junction with the "main" road, and we took a left, towards the salt lake. It actually had water in it

The salt tram towers are still there

And the tram route up the mountain could still be made out

The wind was punishing, so we eventually made camp off the road somewhere. 52 miles. ~2000ft gain. All unpaved.

We camped in a small drainage to shield from the wind. This seemed like a good idea, but then it started raining, and then it seemed like maybe a bad idea. It rained for about 3 hours at night, but then it stopped, and nobody got flooded out. In the morning the wind and rain were gone, and the Inyos had a fresh dusting of snow

After 800ft of climbing, we found our turn, and rode across Saline Valley towards Lippincott pass, and the Racetrack.

The road across the valley is rough. Up the pass the road surface is good, but it's REALLY steep. There was lots of walking.

Eventually we were on top, barely above the Racetrack.

Note the healthy snow cover on Tin Mountain.

Hardly anybody here. The sailing rocks were here, though. The surface was still wet in places, so we just saw the few on the edge. The road out towards the pass to Death Valley is all soft, and very VERY washboarded. It was slow going, but eventually we made it to the pass. This is at ~ 5000ft. The Joshua trees like it here.

On the other side was a fast descent back down to Ubehebe Crater, and a few more miles to the car. 44 miles, ~4500ft gain.

So this was a very long way of saying that "Taco was right".
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

That is a super report! Thanks for posting. I love Death Valley.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Nice adventure. Do you have a track of your route?
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Very cool! I love hiking in Death Valley. I've been wanting to check out that Teakettle trail. Nice pictures.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Nice giant bike adventure! I need to get back to DV this year, even for just one day. Also love the burro. I've never seen a wild burro.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Hey, guess what you need? Another bike that fits wide tires. Also probably almost definitely tubeless for this jazz! Do it! I implore you! I don’t wanna do those roads until I have my old mtb rebuilt, at least! <3
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Beautiful! That northward road out of DV is a lonely place, and the terrain climbing past Crankshaft Jct is weirdly pre-historic, scared me a little bit.

Lots of backcountry to get lost in out there. I've done a bunch of riding at both the north and south ends of Saline Valley. I've done South Pass to Hunter Mountain (wild horses at Spanish Spring!), and Marble Cyn->Jackass Flat->Micadon Cabin near North Pass. North Pass has lots of great campsites to use as a basecamp for riding and hiking, right in a lovely pinyon forest at ~7000' elev. It's the 'easy' start for hiking Waucoba Mountain. You could probably do a loop of North Pass->Saline Hot Springs->Dedeckera Pass->Eureka Dunes->North Pass.

Also, there are fewer tire hazards the higher up you get.
dima

Post by dima »

Uncle Rico wrote: Do you have a track of your route?
I wasn't recording, so don't have one handy. But there aren't very many roads up there, so you can easily see the route if you look at a map.

tekewin wrote: Also love the burro. I've never seen a wild burro.
There was also a pack of them crossing the paved road to Beatty, on the NV side. The hot springs people regularly chase away the burrow apparently, so Saline Valley is probably a good spot to see them.

Taco wrote: Hey, guess what you need? Another bike that fits wide tires. Also probably almost definitely tubeless for this jazz! Do it! I implore you! I don’t wanna do those roads until I have my old mtb rebuilt, at least! <3
Ah, but I now have the gas station patch kit from Beatty. That thing is bulletproof!

Tom Kenney wrote: Beautiful! That northward road out of DV is a lonely place, and the terrain climbing past Crankshaft Jct is weirdly pre-historic, scared me a little bit.

Lots of backcountry to get lost in out there. I've done a bunch of riding at both the north and south ends of Saline Valley. I've done South Pass to Hunter Mountain (wild horses at Spanish Spring!), and Marble Cyn->Jackass Flat->Micadon Cabin near North Pass. North Pass has lots of great campsites to use as a basecamp for riding and hiking, right in a lovely pinyon forest at ~7000' elev. It's the 'easy' start for hiking Waucoba Mountain. You could probably do a loop of North Pass->Saline Hot Springs->Dedeckera Pass->Eureka Dunes->North Pass.

Also, there are fewer tire hazards the higher up you get.
Thanks for the pointer. I'll definitely look into that next time. What is at Jackass Flat and Micadon Cabin?
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

dima wrote:RE: burros...

... Saline Valley is probably a good spot to see them.

RE: Micadon
What is at Jackass Flat and Micadon Cabin?
RE: burros...

Once, while we were camped near the mouth of Hunter Canyon (west side of Saline), there were about 10 loosely affiliated burros wandering around the area. We had to choose our campsite carefully, as much of the desert floor was covered in burro poop. One wandered into camp after dark and scared me but good!

RE: Micadon Cabin

Nothing is there, really, but the geology is very interesting. The cabin is your typical 'user-maintained' shack. I think it was just the remoteness that interested me. There are a few other cabins of this sort near North Pass, including an actual house with a porch and peaked roof, etc. There is also a cabin at the Dry Mountain trailhead near Crankshaft Junction.

The road south through Jackass Flat (lots of side roads with excellent camping, but 4x4 required) is in this pic. The route to Micadon crosses the 'pass' in the middle of the pic, then heads left through a narrow slot that splits the large ridge on the left, and drops into the next valley where the cabin is located.

The Micadon Cabin:

Wild horses at Spanish Spring, near Hunter Mountain:
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

"no drums past 10pm".
?
Hey, guess what you need? Another bike
Pretty sure the day Dima gives in and gets a second bike is one of the signs the end of the world is near.

I've seen the feral burros a couple times, always kind of fun. There was a program to eliminate the population a while back that they claimed was successful, clearly that wasn't the case and a few slipped away to do burro stuff again. I'm curious what their impact on the ecosystem is, they have obviously been pretty resilient.

Dima, how much water were you guys carrying at a time out there? Looks like a great trip!
dima

Post by dima »

I carried around 6L most of the time, but we were being overly conservative. I only dropped below 4L on the last day when we were riding out. If this wasn't a long weekend, with many people out, then carrying all the water would make sense.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I had the same question about water.... What were the temperatures? Seems this time of year the lower elevations would be nearing triple digits.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

I could listen to burro noises all day.
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Sean wrote: I could listen to burro noises all day.
Have I got the thing for you!
Sean

Post by Sean »

headsizeburrito wrote:
Sean wrote: I could listen to burro noises all day.
Have I got the thing for you!
I just laughed for a minute straight. Then I restarted the video and laughed for another minute.