Browsing & Posting Tips

Comments & questions about this site.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Periodically I'll post a tip or two on how to use this forum most effectively. Feel free to add your own tips. I mostly use the mobile version, not the app or desktop. So I'll focus on helpful suggestions for mobile users.

Tip #1: Featured Image

If you write a post and upload photos, be sure to select a featured image. Click on the labelled circle under the picture you want.

Screenshot_20190719-081757~2.png

Your featured image will be used for snapshot links in the homepage Gallery and in links on other sites like Facebook. If you don't select a featured image, then Tapatalk's algorithm will do it for you, and it might pick someone else's photo from a reply to your post.

If you only embed images here, consider uploading one photo to make the featured image.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Tip#2: Quoting

When posting a comment, please don't use the "Quote" button for a general response to a topic or report. This clutters the thread with unnecessary repetition of the original post. Instead use the "Post Reply" button at the top and bottom of the thread.

Screenshot_20190923-120529~2.png

The "Post Reply" button will open up an empty text box for you to write your comment.

Quoting a post should be reserved for replies to a specific part of the original message. First hit the "Quote" button below the post to which you have a response.

Screenshot_20190923-115957~2.png

This will open up a text box pre-filled with the entire text from the original post.

Screenshot_20190923-120022~2.png

In the mobile version, you now need to delete the portion of the original post's text that is irrelevant to your reply comment, but keep the quote tags "[quote...]" and "[/quote]" that appear before and after that text. Then compose your comment after the end-quote tag "[/quote]".

Screenshot_20190923-120242~2.png

In addition to unnecessary text, please also remove any image links in the quoted material, unless you're commenting on that particular photo.

The desktop version will not show the coding for the quote tags. Instead, simply click on the quote box to edit and delete unnecessary content within the quoted message.