Iowa State Capitol Hike

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Normally I wouldn't classify a state capitol tour as a hike. Sure, there can be a lot of walking inside the building itself, as well as around the grounds. But I typically don't need to navigate a half-mile of streets and parking lots just to reach the entrance from my car.

DSC04606.JPG

Why did I have to park so far away, you ask? Well, it just so happened to be the last day of the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines, and they just so happened to be using the lots around the capitol as additional parking for the event.

The city was absolutely crazy-packed with fairgoers. Cecelia, not as keen as I on visiting capitols, wanted to check out the mega-party while I did my own thing. So first I dropped her off a couple blocks away from the fairgrounds (we couldn't actually reach the entrance by car), and then I fought traffic to the capitol, which included having to detour around a stopped train on the road. After giving up on the parking lots closest to the capitol building, I settled on a half-empty one a few blocks away.

Screenshot_20190820-083723~2.png

With my destination in sight, I hurried toward the building, hoping to catch a tour at the top of the hour. I arrived winded, with a few minutes to spare, only to learn that the next and final tour was on the half hour. So I waited and did a little browsing in the gift shop.

There were about thirty people on the guided tour. Some highlights included the ornate staircases,

DSC04559.JPG

the mosaics that appeared to turn and watch you as you moved across the room,

DSC04558.JPG

one of the most beautiful libraries I've seen,

DSC04548.JPG

and, of course, the legislative chambers, which contained remarkably large double galleries for the public.

DSC04560.JPG

The grand finale of the tour took us up 130 steps in a tight spiral staircase to the dome level.

DSC04575.JPG

DSC04573.JPG

A narrow balcony circled the base of the dome.

DSC04572.JPG

And this is the view looking up.

DSC04566.JPG

The dome and many other parts of the building were covered in nearly pure gold leaf. The flag is actually suspended on wires twenty feet below the sky-painted ceiling.

After the tour, I explored the grounds outside.

DSC04595.JPG

There were some nice statues, like this one of Abraham Lincoln reading to his son, Tad.

DSC04591.JPG

But there was also this lewd one of a woman fondling herself.

DSC04599.JPG

Allegedly she represents Iowa's "affections" toward the union of states. But to me, and the four other males who were taking her picture, I'm sure there's something else to it.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

It's Lady Lift and Separate!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

How many Capitol cities have you been to and how many Capitol buildings have you seen/toured?

How many states have you set foot in?
Sean

Post by Sean »

HikeUp wrote: How many Capitol cities have you been to and how many Capitol buildings have you seen/toured?

How many states have you set foot in?
I've been to 41 capitol cities where I saw the capitol building. I toured about 36 of those, about 5 were closed during my visit. I drove through Tacoma in the dark and didn't stop to see the building--or much of anything there really. I've been to every state (and DC) except for Kentucky and Delaware. The most beautiful capitol building is still Pennsylvania's. Though Iowa's is a close second or third. The ugliest is Alaska's, because it's an unremarkable rectangular office building.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sean wrote: I've been to every state (and DC) except for Kentucky and Delaware.
I've been to 43 states. Missing Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin. A few which you just toured, so I found your posts informative - thanks.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Sorry, I missed this Capitol visit but I was having too much fun at the Iowa state fair looking at huge bulls and fat cows. This is a very beautiful capitol and my favorite of the three that I did tour with you was North Dakota.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Most affectionate!