Lake Monroe, Indiana

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
Sean

Post by Sean »

On a recent state capitol-bagging trip, I managed to squeeze in some nature time. My first leisurely stroll took place at Lake Monroe, Indiana. This is a huge man-made lake surrounded by the Hoosier National Forest.

DSC04879.JPG

All I knew from looking at the road map was that Lake Monroe seemed like my sort of destination. So I plotted a course along a road that traversed the lake and hoped for a trail. I lucked out and found a state ranger station at Paynetown. The ranger inside listened to my needs (a short trail to the lake) and suggested something called the Whitehead Trail.

DSC04886.JPG

The trail is located on property owned by the Sycamore Land Trust. But the area is called the Amy Weingartner Branigin Peninsula Preserve.

DSC04925.JPG

The trail was ideal for what I wanted to accomplish in an hour or so. At first a narrow path leads to an old dirt roadbed, which then heads through a lush forest along a short peninsula of the lakeshore.

DSC04884.JPG

DSC04888_stitch.jpg

DSC04896.JPG

At the tip of the peninsula there is a small beach, perfect for hunting down smooth pebbles and tiny shells and relaxing by the water. Fortunately I was in the sun with a slight breeze coming off the lake, so mosquitoes weren't much of an issue.

DSC04908.JPG

DSC04911_stitch.jpg
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Very nice. Did you collect any shells?
Sean

Post by Sean »

Girl Hiker wrote: Very nice. Did you collect any shells?
I didn't take any, but I took a picture of them. They were pretty small.

IMG_20190926_163031079~2.jpg