Spruce Knob, West Virginia

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
Sean

Post by Sean »

After visiting the West Virginia capitol building in Charleston, I headed eastward to the Allegheny Mountains, a subrange of the Appalachians. It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon, and I had blocked the rest of the weekend for nature time in the Monongahela National Forest. So I was in no great hurry. My first goal would be Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. The rental car's navigation system wanted me to go one way, but I noticed a tiny road sign that said "Spruce Knob" and it was pointing the other way. So I turned off the tech and followed the sign, which guided me to a very good dirt road along Gandy Creek.

DSC05140.JPG

I stopped to check out the creek and re-consider taking the rental on an unknown dirt road for 18 miles.

DSC05134.JPG

Some locals assured me that the road stayed very good all the way to the Knob, as it's well-maintained by the county. They sounded like they knew what's what, so I decided to put the Ford Fusion to the test.

DSC05141.JPG

It was like hiking along a river deep in the mountains, only while driving a car. I just stuck the camera out the window and got these views of the stream and fall colors.

DSC05138.JPG

DSC05139.JPG

I thought about stopping and sleeping in the car, it was so peaceful being tucked in the river valley with no city sounds and sights. But I wanted to reach the summit before sunset.

A little before the peak, I stopped briefly at Spruce Knob Lake. It looked like a very serene place to fish. A trail circled the shoreline, but I was running out of daylight.

DSC05148.JPG

I arrived at Spruce Knob with a half-hour to spare. A short path goes up to an observation tower, where I and some others watched the day end.
DSC05164.JPG
DSC05169.JPG
DSC05160.JPG
DSC05155.JPG
DSC05154.JPG
DSC05162.JPG
DSC05179.JPG
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

That was a nice day - it was pouring rain when I was there in July. Bonus to see the trees turning colors like that.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I wonder how many state high points are drive ups. Nice forest colors and the lake is great.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Wow! Beautiful pics of the creek and fall colors. I wish I was there.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

tekewin wrote: I wonder how many state high points are drive ups. Nice forest colors and the lake is great.
This one requires at least a 100-yard walk! I took the scenic loop around the summit so it was maybe a half mile of walking.
I have put my camera on the hood of the truck at the high point of Kansas and Kentucky. I know that Nebraska and North Dakota are also the same, I'll probably visit them next spring. Also Ebright Azimuth in Delaware is on a residential street while Britton Hill in Florida is about 10 yards from the parking lot.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

tekewin wrote: I wonder how many state high points are drive ups.
According to the list at the Highpointers site, there are eleven drive-ups (less than 0.1 miles), and a few more that are only 0.1 miles from the parking. Spruce Knob is actually listed as being 0.3 miles. There was a short walk to the summit area on a nice trail.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Counts the same a Denali!

I have a friend who has 49 state high points and two fails on Denali.
jarredorlane

Post by jarredorlane »

Quite breathtaking and pleasing to the eyes.