Waterman and Twin Peaks

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
David R

Post by David R »

This Sunday I went up the the rave party called Angeles Crest to hike Twin Peaks. I have never in all my years of hiking seen so many people in the mountains. The combination of just opening the most popular trail heads with everyone sitting around has created crazy demand. Switzer was filled from the Clear Creek station to the bottom with every space taken. Near Mt Sally some kids got together with their cars and started practicing Tokyo Drift moves with rubber burning in the air. Newcomb's at least looked normal with every spot taken by the motorcycle and cool car gang.

At 10 I arrived at the TH by the fire road. I hiked along the trail until the second water drainage and started up the canyon. I decided to angle slightly more to the west to try and hit closer to the trail junction. I clambered up steep slopes and ended up on the top of the switchbacks above the junction. I didn't realize it at first and after a little bit I realized I was heading to Waterman, oh well. Once I had climbed most of the gain might as well continue to the top. The top still had small amounts of snow on the north side. I reached the summit with surprisingly no people despite the high volume of hikers. I stayed for a short time and dropped off the south slope to hook into the Three Points trail. I usually take the west drainage but this time I dropped into the east drainage which is wider and easier to traverse then the west. It dumped me a couple hundred yards from the junction with Twin Peaks trail which was perfection.

I zipped down to the saddle and met two parties hiking back. Twin Peak was also busier then usual with six parties passed or met at the summit. The use trail is in excellent shape perhaps the best I've ever seen it. There used to be places where you could go off trail and now it really feels pretty clear all the way up. Despite that there are more ducks then ever before, go figure. At the top there were two parties doing the Instagram thing with the wood sign on the summit. I did not see a summit register. The top was very pleasant in the high 60s with minimal amount of bugs.

The way back was uneventful other then the climb back up to Waterman which is always tiring to end a hike. There were even more people on the trail on the way back but I also shortcut down the water drainage to minimize contact. Stats were around 12 miles with 3,800 feet elevation gain in 4:45.

Some pics from the summit.
IMG_1827[2821].JPG
IMG_1828[2823].JPG
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Can we re-open already and get the "filthy casuals" back into the malls where they belong? ?
Sean

Post by Sean »

Cool. When I read your reports I imagine you bouncing from boulder to boulder like a mountain Tigger. Not sure why that is.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

David R love the pics and the detailed TR. I am very annoyed as well. Since the pandemic non-hikers or as uncle Rico called then "filthy cashuals", (I have better choice words but I'll be nice) are just crowding our trails. I am making it a point to try and go far away to check out new stuff. If i start early I can avoid them but as soon as I start heading back to my car then that's when I run into herds of people especially families with young kids that aren't really prepared for a serious hike. Not to mention the a******* not wearing mask. At least you were able to do some serious hiking.