Dead Animals

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

My morbid collection of road kill and other sad animal demises ...

Fox.jpg

I found this little Gray Fox just last weekend on Mt. Baldy Rd. He was in such good condition I took him home
to have him taxidermied, but then I found out the cost. Yikes! So I gave him to the Eaton Canyon Nature Center,
where I sometimes do docent work.

ringtail.jpg

I found this Ringtail on Hwy 39 on the way to the East Fork. It was a fresh kill, but the skull was too damaged
to have him taxidermied.

jay.JPG

People call these Blue Jays, but there are actually no Blue Jays in California. This is a Steller's Jay. I offered
him to Eaton Canyon, but they can't take birds because of the Newcastle Virus, which it may have died from.

deer.jpg

This poor little Mule Deer got whacked on Lower Tujunga Rd. You can tell he was less than a year old from
the spots on his side.

coyote.jpg

This badly desiccated Coyote (or maybe a chupacabra) was found near Inspiration Point, outside of Wrightwood.
He was missing a leg, which leads me to believe he may have been caught in a trap and chewed it off.

tarantula.jpg

Found near the Bridge To Nowhere, this LOOKED like a dead Tarantula. But on closer inspection this turned
out to be a shed exoskeleton. They shed their entire outer shells just like snakes do with skin. So somewhere
out there this spider still lives on.

bighorn.jpg

This Bighorn skull was found about 200 yards from the Horseshoe Annex Mine. The rest of the skeleton is
still inside the mine, killed by a mountain lion. I took the skull home, bleached it, and now it's on my wall.

kingsnake.jpg

This King Snake was found on a road in Agua Dulce, near Sterling Mine. A car had injured him, and he was
pretty much doomed if he stayed on that hot pavement. I moved him off to the side, but he probably didn't survive.
dima

Post by dima »

This is my kind of post! What's your success rate with roadkill? I'm discovering that more often than not, cars have run over the carcass, shattering the bones. And I usually can't tell until after some fairly-smely work. Oh, how different do empty tarantula exoskeletons look from living tarantulas? I've seen these a few times, but assumed they were the full animal. Would have taken it home if it was just a shell.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

I don't even bother with the splatter kills. If they get whacked in the head and not actually run over the carcass is salvagable, if it's fresh. I used to have a pet tarantula and one morning I woke up with two full sized ones in the cage. What the hell? That's how I found out about them shedding. The shed looks identical to the spider.
robow8

Post by robow8 »

I was road walking from Buckhorn Campground back to Cloudburst Summit and almost walked into a dead deer near Krakta Ridge. It looked like most of it's vitals were gone. I shoulda taken a photo; sorry.
dima

Post by dima »

Sounds like a just-the-right-amount-of-dead specimen. You should have taken it home :)
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Here's a shot of the rest of the bighorn's skeleton. I always get nervous when I enter this mine.

IMG_3461[1].jpg
Sean

Post by Sean »

Neat pics. The worst one I ever encountered was a dead deer alongside Angeles Forest Highway, probably roadkill. It was rotting and the stench was horrible.
robow8

Post by robow8 »

Sean wrote: Neat pics. The worst one I ever encountered was a dead deer alongside Angeles Forest Highway, probably roadkill. It was rotting and the stench was horrible.
That's my problem; I have no sense of smell, so I get no warning.
David R

Post by David R »

This is bringing back flashbacks of finding that suicide last year. I'm done with finding dead things.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

A few new additions to my morbid collection.
The first are skulls from prairie dogs.
The second is a dead antelope. I broke the skull of the rest of the skeleton and took it home to bleach.

If the photos don't upload here's a link.
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipO ... sV_s0WADIp
G0573353.JPG
GOPR3361.JPG
dima

Post by dima »

Your tapatalk photos posted just fine. But your google photos require a google account. How much are they paying you???
dima

Post by dima »

Oh, and thanks for the photos. How do you know the smaller ones were prairie dogs? Do they have some identifying features? Rodents all look kinda similar.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

That stuff was found on the prairie, east side of Colorado Springs. There aren't any rodents with skulls that big out here other than prairie dogs. One skull had a damaged eye socket, so they were probably killed by hawks or falcons.. There are badgers out here too. That would be a dream find. Google Photos is free, unless you have a massive amount of photos, and then they start charging you.
dima

Post by dima »

Neat! You definitely need a google account to give them images, but I thought you could tell them to not require one for people viewing the images? There's no button you can push?
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Not sure.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

So morbid but cool!
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Creepy Joe approves
creepy.jpg
dima

Post by dima »

I don't know what that means. But can we please keep this apolitical? Thanks.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Is there anything in this world that doesn't offend you Dima?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hawk.

IMG_0294.jpg
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Copter Ridge (Aug 2009)
IMG_5004.jpg
Taco

Post by Taco »

My dreams
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Thanks for the Faces of Death post.

BTW, how much is it to taxidermy a carcass?
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Taxidermy is pricey. Depends on how big the animal is. If you find something that is in good shape they recommend you freeze it as soon as possible. There are also good and bad taxidermists, so make sure you view a few photos of what they've done before. For fish they charge by the inch, about $11 to $22 per inch. Something large like a bear can go for anywhere from $3,000 and $4,800. A raccoon or a fox might go for $400 to $600
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Thanks! I've always wondered how much it cost.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Found on the Wilson toll road.
DSC09344.JPG
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Why shop when you can run one over.
turkey.jpg
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Squirrel at Henninger Flat area.
IMG_1024.JPG
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

What's that hole in the ground above him?
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

CrazyHermit wrote: What's that hole in the ground above him?
It's the water drainage.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda