Mt. Langley

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
davidwiese

Post by davidwiese »

Wife and I did an overnight trip to Mt. Langley on 7/11 - 7/12. Weather was warm but not too warm, wild flowers were out, and bug pressure was only bad at dawn/dusk. Map of our route:

https://caltopo.com/m/DANB

Day 1 - Left LA (sea level) and drove to Horseshoe Meadow (10,000') to start our trip. Hiked up Cottonwood Pass to the PCT, and took a short break at Chicken Spring Lake. Continued on the PCT until cutting north onto the Siberian Pass Trail to Lower Soldier Lake. Scouted out some potential sites near the lake, went to see the actual lake, then went to our chosen spot a bit back down the trail, near a stream for easy water access and an earlier start the next morning for our summit attempt. Walked through the Golden Trout Wilderness and into Sequoia National Park this day. Set the alarm for 4:15am.

Day 2 - Broke camp and hiking by 5am. Mosquitoes were awful at the stream but we filled up quickly. Permethrin on our clothes only seemed to help so much, and picaridin on our exposed skin didn't seem to dissuade them too much. Thankfully I don't think we got any bites, but not for lack of them trying. Made it to the saddle below New Army Pass just as the sun broke over the mountains. The final mile push to the 14,042' summit was brutal, climbing over 1,500' on steep, sandy scree. The way up was not always obvious, even with the large cairns. People were choosing their own adventure and making the slow shuffle up. The wind on the summit was bitterly cold, but the views were worth it. We stayed for maybe 30 minutes, then made our way back down to Old Army Pass. We had originally planned to take New Army Pass down, but didn't feel like climbing the extra 400 ft. up and had heard that Old Army was passable with one snowy section. We waited and watched one hiker cross the patch coming up the pass, and followed her line on our way down. That crossing was actually pretty sketchy and you really had to take your time, especially in slushy conditions. One particular step at the very end was pretty harrowing. My wife was not happy -- probably the most scared I have seen her on a hike. The earthquake that had happened in the few weeks prior also caused a lot of rock fall on this part of the trail, until you made it down to Cottonwood Lake #4. Once we were safely down, we took a rest where Lake #5 drains into Lake #4 on a really nice knoll. After that, we hiked down toward Lake #3, then took the trail branch to the east to walk by the unnamed lake there. Views were great -- glad we ended up taking this trail. Great views of Lake #1, and could spot Lake #2 behind it before dropping down Cottonwood Lakes Pass and in completing our loop back to Horseshoe Meadow. You enter the John Muir Wilderness once you drop down Old Army Pass, and re-enter the Golden Trout Wilderness where Cottonwood Creek turns to the south.

Day 1:
IMG_20200711_193658.jpg
IMG_20200711_181320.jpg
IMG_20200711_173127.jpg
IMG_20200711_164042.jpg
davidwiese

Post by davidwiese »

Day 2:

Langley from the saddle below New Army Pass. Old Army Pass descends on the right here below those cliffs.
IMG_20200712_065610.jpg

Whitney in the background.
IMG_20200712_094213.jpg

The valley below.
IMG_20200712_094257.jpg

Obligatory.
IMG_20200712_100310.jpg

Looking back up at Old Army Pass over Lake #4. The sketchy snow patch is one of the smaller ones left of the large one at the center, near the top of the ridge.
IMG_20200712_130459.jpg

IMG_20200712_131322.jpg

Favorite pic of Langley. Looking back at it looming above the Cottonwood Lakes Basin.
IMG_20200712_135635.jpg
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Really good two-day trip. That climb up to the pass seems endless, although it's a really good trail and not too steep. I didn't like going down New Army, it's very rocky.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Awesome trip. That climb from the Soldier Lakes to New Army Pass is real work made more difficult by elevation. At least its work for me.
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

Great pics, looks like you two had a great time! I'm actually doing this same exact loop solo next week. Was debating between Old and New Army for the descent to the lakes. I've descended Old Army before when it had some snow patches and it was definitely sketch at some places. Since I'm going solo I'm thinking I should go New Army just to be safe.
davidwiese

Post by davidwiese »

ReFreshing wrote: Great pics, looks like you two had a great time! I'm actually doing this same exact loop solo next week. Was debating between Old and New Army for the descent to the lakes. I've descended Old Army before when it had some snow patches and it was definitely sketch at some places. Since I'm going solo I'm thinking I should go New Army just to be safe.
Enjoy! I'm sure it's just as beautiful up there now, and the bugs are probably less of a problem.

Here's a pic of the sketchy section. Only one step was particularly bad, and it was at the far left end of this pic, just behind the woman crossing:

IMG_20200712_120445.jpg

This was nearly four weeks ago, it may be melted out by now. You can see it from the very top of the pass and make a judgment at the time.

Either way I think Old Army is the more scenic route, but it is definitely steeper. If you choose to do New Army after the summit, you'll have some additional climbing up from the Old Army saddle to do.
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

davidwiese wrote:
ReFreshing wrote: Great pics, looks like you two had a great time! I'm actually doing this same exact loop solo next week. Was debating between Old and New Army for the descent to the lakes. I've descended Old Army before when it had some snow patches and it was definitely sketch at some places. Since I'm going solo I'm thinking I should go New Army just to be safe.
Enjoy! I'm sure it's just as beautiful up there now, and the bugs are probably less of a problem.

Here's a pic of the sketchy section. Only one step was particularly bad, and it was at the far left end of this pic, just behind the woman crossing:

IMG_20200712_120445.jpg

This was nearly four weeks ago, it may be melted out by now. You can see it from the very top of the pass and make a judgment at the time.

Either way I think Old Army is the more scenic route, but it is definitely steeper. If you choose to do New Army after the summit, you'll have some additional climbing up from the Old Army saddle to do.
Hmm yea that's the same exact snow patch i encountered, but smaller. I'll go for it since it's most likely gone by the time I go. Thanks for the info!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Nice trip! I love the Horseshoe Meadow area and have always wanted to climb Langley, but not sure I'll ever make it.

Caltopo says your loop was about 26 miles with over 6000' gain. Big even for two days at elevation.

Thanks for posting.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

davidwiese wrote:

IMG_20200712_120445.jpg

It looks like the trail does a switchback there where the woman is standing. If that snow patch was dangerous, I might have tried to scramble up the 30' just before the snow, but I am sure it is much steeper than it looks.
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

Old Army Pass currently has no snow on trail. No issues.

WKQceRnbStKYDWxoQWkhzQ.jpg
cottonwood-pass-loop-81020-20928-pm.gpx
(802.4 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

ignore the gpx above. accidental copy and paste
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Congrats! Langley was my first 14er. I love old army pass.