San Rafael Peak

Archived TRs for the Los Padres National Forest.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I haven't posted a TR for awhile so I figure I owe y'all one.

Friday, I played hooky from work and went on an adventure with teke. We originally had wanted to hike Hines Peak and Cream Puff from the eastern terminus of the Nordhoff Ridge fire road, but the forest service closed the road during the forest shut-down which then bled into the usual seasonal closure. So we were forced to change plans. We decided that San Rafael Peak, deep in the Sespe Wilderness, was a worthy alternative.

We met early at the entrance to Grade Valley Road and then made the 10+ mile bumpy drive on the washboard dirt road to the Johnston Ridge Trailhead. Grade Valley was empty except for a bunch of cattle that tried to keep up from our objective. The superior beings that we are, we dispatched the dumb beasts with ease to arrive at the trailhead around 8 a.m.
1_Grade Valley Road.jpg

Grade Valley Road
2_Mootau Flats Road.jpg

Cattle Drive

From the parking area, we traversed southeast on a well established trail, skirting Mutau Flats (private property - presumed owners of the cows) to the immediate south, losing about 200' elevation in the process. About a mile in, we crossed Mutau Creek (still flowing) and continued southeast through nice, open country dominated by mature evergreens. Here, teke found a mylar balloon with a pink boa that he reclaimed on our way out. Unfortunately, I didn't get a pic of teke wearing the boa.

As we continued, the trail took a more easterly tack and began climbing a minor drainage to a saddle at the 5,729' contour. The path was in surprisingly good shape with only minor encroachment by brush here and there. At the saddle, the trail continues east dropping into the Little Mutau Creek drainage, but here we turned south and started cross-country over a series of bumps that ultimately lead to San Rafael. The Sierra Club states that the navigation here is difficult, but we found it to be pretty straight-forward for the most part. A fairly obvious use trail is visible most of the way and we just followed that, but at the third bump we lost it briefly which resulted in us getting too low on the northeast flank. That caused us to have to make a steep climb back up to the main ridge to correct our navigational blunder.
7_Mutua Flats.jpg
Mooo-tau Flats
11_Keith Winston on Trail.jpg

Teke in his element
16_Use Trail from Saddle.jpg
Where we left the trail
18_Dragon's Back to San Rafael Peak.jpg
Dragon's Back to San Rafael

After a final, steep climb, we were finally atop San Rafael. There we found a rock-pile with a summit register dating back to 1974. We entered our appearances as we swatted away pesky hornets that appeared out of nowhere, probably because we also broke out some snacks. This peak doesn't see a lot of action. The entry immediately before ours was 10 days earlier, The entry before that was several months back.

The summit of San Rafael has expansive 360 degree views. Cobblestone, Devil's Heart, Topa Topa, Hines, Chief, Reyes, Haddock, Thorn Point, and Pinos are all clearly visible as is the Sespe Creek drainage thousands of feet below. We spent some time at the summit eating, drinking, checking messages (we had signal surprisingly), and generally lolly-gagging (word from the past) before retracing our steps back out. On the last bump before we rejoined the trail proper, we managed to get off course again and had to bash through a thicket of spikey brush so we could intersect with the saddle. Teke let me go first here to clear the path somewhat being the nice guy that he is.
24_Hot Springs Canyon.jpg

Hot Springs Canyon, Johnston Ridge, and Nordhoff Ridge
25_Cobblestone from San Rafael Summit.jpg

Cobblestone from Summit (distant center-right)
26_Pano from San Rafael Summit.jpg

Summit pano - teke really isn't that chunky. He was just moving.
28_Topa Topa and Devils' Heart Peak from San Rafael.jpg

Devil's Heart and Topa Topa
31_Thorn Point from San Rafael.jpg

Thorn Point. Reyes and Haddock in distance - center right
34_Keith Winston Descending from San Rafael Summit.jpg
Leaving the summit

On the way out, we collected some trash that we saw coming in, including 2 more mylar balloons (sans boa), a couple of plastic water bottles, a beer can (Tecate - at least drink some decent beer if you're going to despoil the wilderness for Christ's sake), a smoked salmon package, and a gross used tissue.

We talked about hitting Lockwood Peak on the way out, but days are short this time of year so we left it for another time. Mileage was roughly 11.2 with approximately 3,400' of total gain.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Thanks for an awesome hike suggestion. Anything in Los Padres means a grueling drive home through downtown LA, but this one was worth it. The overcast lighting in the photos doesn't do it justice. It was also a welcome change of scenery from my usual desert hikes this time of year. Here's a few more photos...

Piru Creek crossing

Uncle Rico descending bump 6160' back toward the trail

I threw out the balloon, saving the boa for my next night on the town
dima

Post by dima »

Cool trip! I took this in the spring from the hot springs below:

San Rafael is the bump on the left, I think. Could you see the springs from the top?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

dima wrote: Cool trip! I took this in the spring from the hot springs below:

San Rafael is the bump on the left, I think. Could you see the springs from the top?
We certainly looked down in that direction, but I wasn't looking for the springs. It was also kind of overcast. Maybe Rico saw them, he is more knowledgeable of the area.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

You can see where the creek from Hot Springs Canyon joins the Sespe, and you can see the lower part of Hot Springs Canyon, but I can't say for sure whether you can see where the hot springs are exactly. I don't have enough knowledge to know that.
Sean

Post by Sean »

A pink boa or a Tecate? Hrm. I'd probably choose the boa.

Cool adventure!
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

looks like a good one, how long did it take to drive around to the trailhead? sedan ok or 4x4?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

JerryN wrote: looks like a good one, how long did it take to drive around to the trailhead? sedan ok or 4x4?
Grade Valley road is pretty good. The first mile of Grade Valley is paved, the final 10 miles are dirt. I think it took us 30-40 minutes to drive to the TH. A sedan could probably make it. The only iffy spot was a stream crossing where the water was about 2' deep. There were several herds of cows on and around the road. Definitely don't need 4x4.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Thanks Teke, sounds like my truck is going to be better than my electric car. I will check this hike out before long
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

So what happens when you drive your Tesla/Prius/Volt into 2 feet of water?
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

a long walk home?
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Thanks for the report. That is another cool peak on my list to do.