San Gorgonio from South Fork

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

I did a run from South Fork out and back to San G today. Based on views I got on the drive and from the trail, the burn area from the recent fire seems much smaller than I had imagined. It seems like mainly the area downhill from San Bernardino Peak burned, not much else.

Although permits are being given out, the forest service hasn't gotten around to removing signage from this trailhead saying that it's closed. The bathroom still has a notice saying it's closed, but the hasp of the lock has been broken off. It looked pretty gross, so I went behind a bush instead. It would be nice if our adventure pass money were actually being used for its intended purpose.

For this time of year, the trail was surprisingly dry at the lower elevations. There was plenty of flow at South Fork Meadows to refill a water bottle.

Higher up, there was quite a bit of snow in the area around Saddle Junction, Charlton, and Jepsen. That turned that portion of my run into more of a walk, scramble, and careful navigation of snow fields. Got off track at one point on the way back. There is no boot track yet.

After a day spent in wind and cold temperatures and snow, it was weird driving back through 100-degree temps in the inland empire.