What the heck are these weird red plants?

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
David Martin

Post by David Martin »

Coming down Middle Fork trail yesterday from Icehouse Saddle we saw a patch of about 12 of these on a shady hillside at around 6500'. There were none before or after that little section. They reminded me of the long red flower stalks we see on some yuccas these days so I wondered if they might be new yuccas, but there were no mature yuccas in that area. They looked like they had broken through the ground cover with some real force. Anybody???
IMG_1830.jpg
IMG_1831.jpg
dima

Post by dima »

Those are snow plants! They're awesome. They're plants, but don't have chlorophyll and do not photosynthesize. Instead they're parasitic with the trees they live under. Kinda like mushrooms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcodes
David Martin

Post by David Martin »

Wow, have been reading about these plants today. They're very interesting, mostly native to California, and people are fond of them. Found a good video:

JerryN

Post by JerryN »

they are really beautiful and out in force everywhere this year. They might be parasitic, but the current thinking is that they are symbiotic with a mycorrhizal mushroom and a tree, though no one knows exactly how they interact and obtain food. They are supposedly edible but are protected under California law as an endangered species.