Picacho Peak - An Epic Hike In Southern Arizona

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Picacho
noun - a large pointed isolated hill

I happened to see this on a map as I was driving through Arizona and had to check it out. It was epic. A lone hill rising 1,500 feet above the desert floor with tons of history behind it. I stopped to take photos of it from a distance, but once I found out it could be climbed I had to give it a shot. It's a very popular hike you shouldn't miss if you're ever in that area.

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Cool. I feel like I've been there!
dima

Post by dima »

Images don't show up. Can you host them somewhere public? It might require a google login or something.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

G3511960.JPG
G3341901.JPG
G3271884.JPG
G3251876.JPG
G3191856.JPG
G3181851.JPG
G3111807.JPG
G3081797.JPG
G3021778.JPG
G3011775.JPG
Gene

Post by Gene »

What a climb, glad to see folks heading/pulling up that trail.

I really like the video, especially the various view of the peak in black and white.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Thanks Gene. I'm not out in Arizona very often but that one's worth the drive. Kind of close to Tucson.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

That one has been on my radar for many years, but since my sister moved I don't get down to Tucson any more. It's definitely an AZ landmark.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

If you're ever back in Arizona look up the Toilet Bowl near Strawberry. Another epic one.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Looks really cool. I want to do this!
Edward

Post by Edward »

Nice video. Picacho Peak is on the Sierra Club's Desert Peaks Section List. Commonly referred to as 'Little Picacho', to differentiate it from 'Big Picacho', which is El Picacho del Diablo, the highest mountain in Baja, also on the list. Back in the 1970's, I climbed Big Picacho, but bad knees forced me to quit climbing before I made it to Little Picacho, so I enjoyed the video. I wonder if the extensive posts and cables were there then. Little Picacho was considered a 'Sixth Class' climb, meaning a rope was used for support as well as belay over a short section. But I never heard anyone refer to an extensive system of posts and cables.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Thanks for the info. Picacho in Arizona requires no ropes, just the pre-set cables that are stuck in the rock, which are quite extensive. The park around it rates it as a difficult climb, but I've seen small kids do it. However there are places you can get hurt or worse if you don't watch your step.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Edward wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:50 am Nice video. Picacho Peak is on the Sierra Club's Desert Peaks Section List. Commonly referred to as 'Little Picacho', to differentiate it from 'Big Picacho', which is El Picacho del Diablo, the highest mountain in Baja, also on the list. Back in the 1970's, I climbed Big Picacho, but bad knees forced me to quit climbing before I made it to Little Picacho, so I enjoyed the video. I wonder if the extensive posts and cables were there then. Little Picacho was considered a 'Sixth Class' climb, meaning a rope was used for support as well as belay over a short section. But I never heard anyone refer to an extensive system of posts and cables.
The Little Picacho on the Sierra Club Desert Peaks list is not the same as this one in Arizona. It's in California, but north of Yuma, southwest of the Chocolate Mountains. It is definitely an intense class 5 affair. Too spicy for me. The Picacho in Arizona looks like great fun, though. The cables sort of remind me of Angels Landing.

Here is a trip report on the Desert Peaks Little Picacho:
http://www.firstchurchofthemasochist.co ... group.html