Rivas Canyon Ridge Lollipop Loop

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
David R

Post by David R »

I have continued to explore the section between Temescal Canyon and the Backbone trail out of Will Rogers. The main ridge up to Goat Peak has been explored but the ridge to the east shows a trail that I was interested in checking out. I started from Temescal climbed the Rivas trail to the ridge that would take you to Goat. From here you continue down to Rivas Canyon. Once you reach the bottom of the canyon, immediately notice a trail going upstream, follow that and cross the dry creek bed. The trail then climbs steeply to the first bump. The trail then descends to a saddle. From here you continue climbing the ridge. You can see Goat Peak which you pass up and you come to a fork. Continuing to the left will take you up to the ridge and you can go back to Goat and from there follow the ridge to Backbone or you can stay on a rough trail that will connect to a trail that drops off a little further up canyon. This trail on Topo is defined as the Great Escape and offers a short cut back to Backbone. The write ups I had seen gave this route a bad rep stating it was overgrown and difficult to follow. I followed it and found it completely brushed and in perfect shape. It connects you to Backbone at a low point on the trail just above the creek. From here I followed the trail back to Will Rogers and took the trail back down to Rivas Canyon which finished the loop. You climb out of the canyon and come back down to Temescal Canyon. A nice moderate hike that took about 3.5 hours.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Wait. So how do you get back to Temescal from Will Rogers? Is it that trail the skirts that Marinette neighborhood to the north?
David R

Post by David R »

Uncle Rico wrote: Wait. So how do you get back to Temescal from Will Rogers? Is it that trail the skirts that Marinette neighborhood to the north?
That is the Rivas Canyon trail that leaves from Will Rogers and skirts the neighborhood and drops to the canyon at the end of Rivas Canyon Road. At that point the trail goes up canyon passing a couple of homes. The upper canyon is surprisingly lush and pretty with few people there. From there it climbs out to the Goat Peak ridge and then drops into Temescal.