Shoes for bushwhacking/rugged trails

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

What's your preferred shoe/boot for bushwhacking or hiking on rugged trails?

I've been using La Sportiva's Bushido trail runners for a couple years but they have limitations on particularly rugged treks.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I love Oboz! I think the ones I have now are my 5th or 6th pair. They have a good grip especially for rock scrambling!
dima

Post by dima »

I'm using HiTec Mount Diablos now. They're about the fanciest thing at Big5, and cost ~ $70. I'm seeing them work about as well as the $200 shoes at REI: they're comfortable, but don't last very long if you're doing a lot of bushwhacking. I haven't found anything that does. I'm OK with spending $$$ to get something that actually is durable, but so far my experience with the medium-$ REI shoes is that they fall apart relatively quickly, and I don't want to do expensive experiments. How durable are the Bushidos and the Oboz?
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I usually wear mid-cut Merrell Moab 2s. They are reasonably-priced and durable enough I suppose. I've had Oboz and Keen boots before which are super comfy but their durability is shite.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I beg to differ. I love my Oboz.
I do alot of rock scrambling and bushwacking. They've never fallen apart on me. He'll I've even walked in pools of water with them. I don't wear the boot Oboz. I never liked hiking boots.
But everyone is entitled to their opinion.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Depends on the X-C terrain scale...the more the scale the more I am skeptical.
First question is.."who does this?" And at say, 6 on the scale, ...few people design for it. By that time, you are wearing gloves and have a good clue what works.

You can look at Oboz, and know its limitation, because someone prioritize breathe-ability...which at best would mean I carry another shoe for X-C.
The scale is affected by wood, so why would I design by breath-ability and mesh? It must be a joker.
Anybody who believes in the permanent forest , and designs a shoe is a madman...its like getting a XC shoe recommendation from modern hiker.
He'll give it, to hell if you end up dead from it.

So as far as the OP, on a realer scale, its going to be throw on some Bestard midtops on him. Because conservative. Just saying lowtops instead, will draw objection, because defensive drivers only. Midtops are like crossovers.Hightops(boots) are only can drive a Hummer. I was looking at some 'alaska' hightops and they dont breathe at all...yikes, thats uncomfortable but it sends a message about serious Alaska terrain.

At lowtops, might say throw a pair of Adidas Terrex Swift and see what happens....just because they're less conservative. And if you attempt to climb a manzanita you shouldnt die although I imagine maybe on the painful side. The Hitec...I got a pair in between shoes many moons ago, and it lasted in hours. I stepped on a mean branch off-trail and literally had a small hole in the bottom. No skin got penetrated....just bruised.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

So nobody wears trail runners huh? Does that mean I'm poorly equipped or ahead of the game? Haha.

The Bushidos are awesome for long distance. Light, sticky, and very comfortable. They usually last me a year (I average about 300 miles/year).

I think I need some mids for heavier bushwhacking though. I might try the Merrell Moab.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I’ve worn all kinds of stuff and have found I like durable waterproof leather high top boots for tough bushwhacking lately. I have some old army issue Altama boots I’ve been using. I would like stickier rubber for the soles, but with a real tread pattern with big lugs, not a dot sole. A high top and pants with a velcro closure at the ankles to help keep crap out, in lieu of gaiters. That would work well for my use. I typically bushwhack in canyons with a rope and some water, not usually more than ankle deep. This influences my decisions.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Taco

Post by Taco »

How can we combine the two? Maybe we put the pogo on the forefoot of the dont-fuck-me toe shoes?
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

Also high tops are key. Good to wrap your pants around the top to prevent debris from getting in yo shoe!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Anthony wrote: So nobody wears trail runners huh? Does that mean I'm poorly equipped or ahead of the game? Haha.
I do...but there is too much nonsense, that gets dangerous. This commercial in 2014 is one example. C'mon...really...lets take the Porsche Taycan out for a spin.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Trail runners are okay for staying on well-kept trails. But anything approaching a rough trail or XC, I use my cheap Bearpaw Junipers. $50 on sale at Big 5 and they can last a few months if you abuse them like I do. Also, they are waterproof, which I think is important for XC stuff. My only complaint is that the heel lining isn't tough enough and will tear before I'm done wearing out the tread. But just cut that crap off when it tears to prevent blisters forming. I also wear them with a thick, cotton work sock for added cushion. But I'm too cheap to spend money on the nice, wool stuff--unless I'm going to be in sub-freezing conditions.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Sean wrote:….But I'm too cheap to spend money on the nice, wool stuff--unless I'm going to be in sub-freezing conditions.
Buy Darn Tough socks and you only have to do it once, guaranteed forever.
Wool is all I wear for socks and t-shirts now. And they don’t stink!
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Taco

Post by Taco »

Yeah Darn Tough, specifically their boot socks, are awesome. I wear em all the time. I dont own cotton socks or other base layers, and you wont either once im president of the world. Just buy a pair, Sean. Damnit.

PS cotton is not for socks