Chocolate Peak and Mount Goode

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

My wife and I spent a long weekend at Parcher's Resort outside Bishop. We planned one hike from South Lake and the other from Sabrina.

As an aside, we had been training for my wife's attempt on Whitney. In the last month, she broke her pinky toe and we both got covid, so our planned 9/1 attempt is probably not going to happen. My wife wanted to test out her toe on Chocolate (11682'). We started at South Lake on the Bishop Pass trail. Then, we took the Ruwau Lake junction to wind around to the south slope. The official trail doesn't go to the summit so I led us off trail where the going looked easy. Soon enough, we were on the summit with wonderful views of the surrounding lakes and towering 13ers. We found and signed the register in some PVC tubing, but did not find a benchmark. We returned on a better defined use trail, then back to the junction with Bishop Pass trail. My wife's toe held up with only a little soreness, but not sure about bigger hikes. She headed back, while I continued on to Mount Goode (13085'). I guessed it would take me 4.5 hours to round trip it from there, so we set a pick up time.

Ruwau Lake and Picture Puzzle behind

Mount Goode center right from the top of Chocolate

The trail ran past the rest of Long Lake, Spearhead Lake, and Saddlerock Lake. I filled a water bottle from Saddlerock, then left the trail at 11200' to cut between Saddlerock and Bishop Lake. The first obstacle was a low set of cliffs and small trees. There were multiple ways through and I dropped my trekking pole anticipating the boulders to come. Next was 400' of steep sand and a second set of trees. I stumbled on a use trail in the sand and followed it. Above the second set of trees was a long basin. Multiple high points were visible along the ridge line and it wasn't easy to tell which was Goode and which was No Goode. I expected more boulders, but the slope remained mostly sand and scree as it got steeper. When the boulders finally arrived, 400' below the top, it was a relief. I was tired, but the rock was solid, and much more fun to climb. At the summit, I met two young men who had come over from No Goode. We chatted about the other nearby mountains. They planned to hit Cloudripper the next day via one of the west chutes. Super great views of the Inconsolable range, Agassiz, Sill, Thunderbolt, and North Pal. I skied the scree down to the tree line and tried to make up time when I got back on trail. My water held out and I got back to South Lake 15 minutes after the pick up time. Saul Goode, man.

Goode on the other side of Saddlerock Lake

Long basin. Goode in the center

Sand and rocks

Rocks

Young dudes, Chocolate below

L to R: Vagabond, Cloudripper, Picture Puzzle, Aperture

Agassiz, Sill, Thunderbolt, North Pal. You can see the Bishop Pass trail coming up from the lake.

Here is a YouTube video of Mount Goode
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

When I walked up to Ruwau Lake I somehow lost the trail, so I just looked at the lake for a couple hours while pondering my sense of direction. Also spent a while extracting the lens cap from my camera out of some rocks.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

JeffH wrote: When I walked up to Ruwau Lake I somehow lost the trail, so I just looked at the lake for a couple hours while pondering my sense of direction. Also spent a while extracting the lens cap from my camera out of some rocks.
The trail was slightly overgrown in parts, but ran close to the lake shore around Chocolate, then started climbing up the south side. It's one of the nicer lakes if you're going to look at one for a while.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

That's a substantial "up" day.

I've not really been into that basin. Went to Marie Louise Lakes once, but that's it. Swampy.

I've looked at CalTopo and contemplated Agassiz in the past. Not that it looked that way from the topos, but from your pics, it don't look easy.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Uncle Rico wrote: That's a substantial "up" day.

I've not really been into that basin. Went to Marie Louise Lakes once, but that's it. Swampy.

I've looked at CalTopo and contemplated Agassiz in the past. Not that it looked that way from the topos, but from your pics, it don't look easy.
For Agassiz, you leave the trail just after Bishop Pass, so not a lot of cross country to get to the base. The chutes look like a lot of class 3 with unknown quality of rock. I considered both Agassiz and Picture Puzzle, but thought Goode would be easiest since I hadn't tested my endurance post-covid.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report and BCS reference. I only have the last season to watch.

I tried to do Goode in the snow once (also as a side-trip) but I didn't study the route and failed. Looks like fun at the top.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Have you been up Mt. Gould? Seems like an easily accessible 13er. I could be persuaded if you wanted to give it a go sometime.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Uncle Rico wrote: Have you been up Mt. Gould? Seems like an easily accessible 13er. I could be persuaded if you wanted to give it a go sometime.
Would love to do Gould sometime. I think people often combine it with Dragon, also on my list.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Sean wrote: Thanks for the report and BCS reference. I only have the last season to watch.

I tried to do Goode in the snow once (also as a side-trip) but I didn't study the route and failed. Looks like fun at the top.
I really like the last season of BCS. Some of my friends thought it was boring. The second half really picks up. Couldn't resist the reference.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Uncle Rico wrote: Have you been up Mt. Gould? Seems like an easily accessible 13er. I could be persuaded if you wanted to give it a go sometime.
Are you talking about Mt Gould by Kearsage Pass? I attempted it but was too exhausted to finish. This was a few years ago. I would love to go back when I'm in better shape.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Girl Hiker wrote:
Are you talking about Mt Gould by Kearsage Pass? I attempted it but was too exhausted to finish. This was a few years ago. I would love to go back when I'm in better shape.
That's the one, TH out of Onion Valley.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I want to hike Mt Gould!