Owens Peak

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Owens Peak (8,453') has a striking profile from highway 395 in the southern Sierra. It is the highest mountain in a 17 mile radius and is featured on multiple lists: HPS #49 and SPS #239. It is a P2K and was designated an HPS Star Emblem. I left the OC at 3:20 AM for the trailhead at the end of Indian Wells Canyon Road. The road had some ruts and big rocks, high clearance recommended. There was ample parking at the trailhead, though I was the only one there.

The trail follows Indian Wells Spring which was completely dry. Deadfall blocked parts of the trail, but use trails had been worn around them. With one mile to go, I thought I had overestimated the difficulty, but the last mile packed about 1800' of gain. Many cairns dotted the trail as it got steeper. I made a mistake at 7400' and missed where the trail stayed left. This led me up a white boulder talus field instead of the dark boulder talus field on the main trail. I did find footprints and occasional cairns off trail so it was a fairly common mistake. I found a way to make it go, at the price of some exposed class 3 and slab work. At 8000', I rejoined the trail. It remained steep and slippery the rest of the way.

Owens on the drive in

Following the dry spring

Off route, but finding a way

At the summit, I unpacked a drone, a DJI Mavic Mini 3 Pro. I am still learning how to fly it, but it has some pre-programmed flight sequences that are impressive. After taking the aerials, I hung around another 20 minutes, soaking in the wonderful sights in all directions. The longest ridge on Owens is a jagged granite spine that makes it look even more imposing. I could see Olancha further north and could barely make out Langley and Whitney through some haze. On the way down, I was able to stay on the trail and descended the dark boulders and class 2 slabs below that. I discovered where I lost the trail and built a cairn of my own to help future adventurers. Gnats became a problem below 6000' and I had to resort to my bug net until I got away from the spring. Owens was a big ball of granite fun and one I wouldn't mind climbing again some day.

Looking north over Spanish Needle, Olancha in the distance

On route, descending slabs

On route, descending black talus field

Owens from highway 395, taken in June 2022

Drone videos:

https://youtu.be/jmoJNrpbwik

https://youtu.be/Q39YXp6fMA4
dima

Post by dima »

Whoa. That looks super cool. Thanks for posting. How often does that place get visitors? What does the register say?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

dima wrote: Whoa. That looks super cool. Thanks for posting. How often does that place get visitors? What does the register say?
Very popular since it's on two Sierra Club lists. 343 attempts in Peakbagger. The register went back to 2015, lots of names. The entry before mine was 9/25/22. It's less than a 3 hour drive from LA up the 14. It's only a 6 mile hike round trip, sometimes combined with nearby Jenkins and/or Morris peaks.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Looks like a cool hike. I always wanted to do Owens Peak.
Next time you are by Indian Wells, check out Five Finger. I did this with a group a few years ago.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I did Five Fingers back in 2014. But only the high point. I'd like to go back and get the other fingers.