Los Padres Closure Order

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

From the Los Padres Forest Association earlier today. I have not seen a copy of this Order.

"Due to the massive amounts of recent rainfall and subsequent forest-wide damage to trails, roads and infrastructure, the Forest Service has issued a forest-wide closure of the Los Padres Forest effective Friday January 13. The closure comes in advance of this weekend's storms, which are forecast to dump additional inches of rain across the forest.

Obviously no one is happy about the closure, but there is just too much damage across the forest at the moment. In the days following the last storm, we've had many volunteers attempt to survey trails and forest roads. Literally every report we're seeing, every attempt to drive a road, every attempt to hike a trail, is coming back reporting massive damage. We've seen damage like this in the past, but it's largely been isolated to portions of a county or within specific fire scars. What's different this time is that the destruction is at a forest-wide scale and even beyond that when you look at neighboring counties such as Santa Cruz, Los Angeles, etc...

The closure order states that the closure will last 60-days but we're hopeful that it can be revised or modified on a local level as portions of the forest are surveyed, cleaned up and repaired. We are working closely with the Forest Service to help survey and document the damage and are looking forward to getting our boots on the ground ASAP to repair the trails. We'll be out in force once the Forest Service gives us the green light. Please consider donating to our Trail Fund if you can, we've got lots of collective work ahead of us."
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Uncle Rico wrote: ... massive amounts ... massive damage...
Massive dude. Dude!
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the update.

Official website with the closure order.

fseprd1084015.pdf
(209.6 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

The order is for two months until March 14.

Lots of damage in the Gabes too. I believe portions of major roads are closed plus the road to Wilson. I'll double-check and post about them on the appropriate threads.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

It doesn't appear as if the "entire forest" is actually closed. The order doesn't include the Mt. Pinos District.

Shhh!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Which shot gives me a free pass from the lockdown daddy?
Not yet....shot 10-b in development upon grand unveilment.
Schools are safely closed again for 2 more years.
So happy so they say.
Sean

Post by Sean »

AW~ wrote: Which shot gives me a free pass from the lockdown daddy?
It's called Topatopa-23, available for free at your local CVS or REI.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Need some here?
https://kvta.com/news/authorities-plead ... -evacuate/
" The Ventura County Air Unit has flown in and out of the canyon more than ten times in the past week to evacuate 70 (Matilija) residents."
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Thanks for posting this. I was thinking about making a trip to Los Padres, but was worried about damage to the roads. So many trailheads require a 10+ mile dirt road drive. I'll stay in the desert until March.