Here a bench, there a bench, everywhere a bench, bench

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

David is anti-bench, and I now see his point. The amount of benches, particularly in the front range of the Gabes, has become absurd, and motivated superheroes need to fix this mistake ASAP. I mean, what the hell?!

To prove the point, let's document ALL the bench locations in the front range. David pointed out the one on Hastings Peak. I'll get this thread started with the one on Jones Peak.

IMG_20221204_120622089-001.jpg

Every peak now seems destined to grow a bench-pimple at some point in the future. I suppose lying on the ground or sitting on a boulder is too outdoorsy for some metrosexuals. Are we visiting a mountain or a museum here, people?

And how about this monstrosity next to the creek at First Water in Little Santa Anita Canyon?

IMG_20221204_141758555-001.jpg

Holy balls!

I get it, boy scouts need to do shit in the mountains to earn a badge or whatever. But COME ON! Learn how to shift a boulder or two into a seat. Or maybe take a chainsaw to a fallen tree trunk. This particular eyesore spoils the experience for people who leave the main trail to get away from crap like these prefabricated benches.

First Water isn't even a designated picnic area. It's an historic site somewhat off the main path. Can we not mess it up with modern junk?

I blame the inept Forest Service for apparently approving this insanity.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Four of them on the way up to Henninger Flat:
IMG_9821.jpg
IMG_9820.jpg
IMG_9819.jpg
IMG_9816.jpg
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Taco

Post by Taco »

A seat for every ass and an ass for every seat.

OH SHIT are they wheelchair accessible? Uhhhh maybe these benches need to be decolonized!!! *throws objects while yelling*
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Two new benches coming to Pasadena! Woot!

https://www.pasadenanow.com/main/tabled ... cial-names

The City of Pasadena’s Legislative Committee is set to consider the naming of a new park and wilderness trail on Tuesday after more time was taken for public input about the top-contending names.

Two of the public’s contributions (The “Quarter Million Dollar Boondoggle Park” and the “Irresponsible Trail) are unlikely to make the cut Tuesday.
The new park spans over 20 acres of open space in Annandale Canyon, located in the San Rafael Hills of the western part of the city. It features a 1/2 mile pedestrian trail leading to a scenic overlook, six parking spaces, and two benches.
Ultimately City staff proposed the name “Annandale Canyon Preserve” for the park, and the Native American name “Yayaaytnga” for the trail.
I guess they decided not to name the benches. Yet.
Sean

Post by Sean »

HikeUp wrote: Two new benches coming to Pasadena! Woot!
This is an actual city park and it has a less disgusting bench than Jones Peak.

Screenshot_20230306-102508-511.png
Sean

Post by Sean »

I doubt this is an approved bench, but who knows given the state of the FS these days. Found along Charlie's New Trail in Little Santa Anita.

20210816_184431.jpg
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sean wrote: I doubt this is an approved bench, but who knows given the state of the FS these days. Found along Charlie's New Trail in Little Santa Anita.

20210816_184431.jpg
Be careful when tossing this bench over the edge because the old trail is down below somewhere. Just saying.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

"A bench dedication offers a wonderful place to rest and reflect while enjoying the beautiful Arboretum grounds. For a donation of $20,000, a donor can work with Arboretum staff to find a suitable location for a tribute bench. Each teak bench, expected to last 25 years, includes an attached brass plaque engraved with two lines of 30 characters each. For information about available bench locations, please call the Development Office at (626) 821-3237."

Seems to me there is economic opportunity to sell...especially to honor pets, a new trend. We could match other places, which have waiting lists.
Sean

Post by Sean »

AW~ wrote: "...For a donation of $20,000, a donor can work with Arboretum staff to find a suitable location for a tribute bench."
If the FS sells enough benches maybe they can afford to empty the trash bins.