Mystery Mine

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I received an email from someone who seeks info about a mine above the Pacoima Dam. Anyone know what he's talking about?
I was looking at various site on the net and saw mention of your visiting areas around the Pacoima Canyon. My family moved into a new housing track in 1960. We lived on the last street (Mindora Ave) before the Pacoima Dam at the time. From my pre teen years on I looked up to the east of the dam and saw a rather large rock tailing area and wonder about the mine that must have been up there. As I approached my teen age years, I wandered those canyons and draws, never reaching the elevation of a mine. I do remember structures below the tailings, finding a concrete basin that had a small printing press in it. I recall speaking to an older (he was probably in his mid 80's back in the early 1980's, who grew up in San Fernando and would travel by horse and buggy to what we referred to as "The Ghost Town" to gamble. I remember a pig farm closer down towards the Pacoima Wash bed. There were also orange groves and numerous pink buildings (that resembled housing for farm hands.) Any info you may have collected regarding that higher up mine I would be interested in hearing. There were also grape vines along the old dirt road that lead towards that mine from the east side of the dam past the kilns.