Mueller Tunnel Theory

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sean wrote:
I don't think historical aerial imagery supports the theory that the Mueller Tunnel existed before 1942. I might create a different thread to address it thoroughly. But you could check the evidence by downloading the 1938 and 1952 aerials from UCSB.
Yeah, I just gave that link a cursory look and didn't get into why he thought the tunnel may have predated '42. One of these days perhaps. Maybe the bulkheads were added in 1942 to an existing tunnel?
Sean

Post by Sean »

In addition to checking the historical aerial imagery, I also did an image search on the alleged 1887 etching, which is obviously not the head of Eaton Canyon. In fact it depicts Chinese workers alongside a railroad in the Sierra Nevada circa 1870. It's not hard to find the exact image and a similar one with accurate descriptions.

Screenshot_20230404-165413.png

Also, the artist is named Aug. Miller, not Mueller.

Either the inventor of this theory is playing a joke on people, or he has been fooled by someone else. If you analyze his webpage, you'll find other big problems. He clearly doesn't know the area very well, and assumes too much when he should be checking his facts.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Googler beware.
Sean

Post by Sean »

It appears that the "Aug. Miller" etching was based on this work attributed to Joseph Becker (sketch artist).

hb9q2nb3sh-FID3.jpg

1112-across-the-continent resized.jpg

I searched for a photo of this scene. It might be the Donner Pass tunnels with some artistic liberty taken for the background.

Screenshot_20230406-130903~2.png

So not only is this not Eaton Canyon, it's probably not an exact depiction of a Sierra Nevada scene either. It's a nice piece of art though.