The San Gabriel Mts most western(?) and unnamed(?) peak

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

An expedition report that comes with a couple queries for the group. Questions after a quick report.

After seeing the rounded knobby outline of this peak quite distinctly just to the west of Los Pinetos from countless locations throughout the San Fernando Valley for years, I did this one with my father about a year and a half ago. It was a typically hot day in August 2021, got started at dawn and was able to be off the mt before noon to beat the brunt of the daily scorch.

Started from the Elsmere Canyon trailhead parking area, up the Santa Clara Truck Trail, scrambled up a firebreak to Sombrero Road along the crest. Nice roller coaster along the ridge with a little bushwhack through recent burn grassland to the summit, where I found a little notebook register. I forget the name of the guy who left it, but most of the entries in the book were his. He seemed to refer to this mystery peak as "Tophat" but I haven't seen that reference anywhere else. In my entry I said I call it "Panorama Peak" because I see it prominently from my home in Panorama City. But thats just me!
Here I am making my entry at the summit, with the northern SFV valley below.
IMG_1039.jpeg
Here is the register notebook I found with what Joseph (you here?) had written, calling this peak "Tophat" or Peak 3119.

Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 7.47.14 PM.png

We came down the last of the Clara Divide ridge, bushwhacking some of the way, hooking up with the Elm Shore Canyon Mtwy, and back through Elsmere Canyon (which is really cool badlands relief, like a mini Siltstone Yosemite, thanks Pico Formation!) to where we started. 8.45 miles, 2694ft elevation gain.

Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 7.26.33 PM.png

So I have 2 major questions for you all...

• Has anyone else bagged this peak? I feel like if you live in the SFV it's hard to ignore. You see it from everywhere, Los Pinetos knoby little friend to the west.

• Has anyone else seen this peak referred to as "Tophat"? Or by any other name? It doesn't look to be on Summit Post. Weird to me a distinct peak so visible by millions and millions every day doesn't have a name, but thats the beauty of the San Gabriels, isn't it? :-)

• Is "Tophat" the furthest west peak of the San Gabriel Mt Range???? Leading to the related question, what do you consider the furthest western edge of the San Gabes? Is it Newhall Pass between the SFV and Santa Clarita valley? if so, then "Tophat" has got to earn that honorable distinction. I use the peakbagger.com PEMRAC system, and by that Tophat is the furthest west peak. Does anyone consider the PEMRAC "Sierra Pelona-Portal Ridge" with Lake Hughes and all that business, as part of the San Gabes? If so, something near Quail lake takes that distinction.
Would anyone count this as part of the San Gabes?
Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 8.08.49 PM.png

What would you call the furthest west peak of the San Gabriel Mts?

Familiar view of Los Pinetos (on the right) and this mystery peak (on the left) from the I5 going north in the SFV:
Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 8.17.06 PM.png
IMG_1039.jpeg
IMG_1039.jpeg
IMG_1036.jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 8.17.06 PM.png
Sean

Post by Sean »

I hiked to Top Hat in 2017. Here is the report. Unfortunately the photos aren't loading for me. They were hosted on the old server at My Free Forums, which Tapatalk might not be preserving anymore. I'll have to look into this, as many of our old photos were on that server.

As a name, Top Hat is a funny juxtaposition to Sombrero Canyon. I dig it. And, yes, I'd call it the most western peak in the Gabes. The Sierra Pelonas are their own thing, right?

BTW-There is already a Panorama Peak in the Gabes. It's a historical name for the peak east of Switzer's.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Sean wrote: I hiked to Top Hat in 2017. Here is the report. Unfortunately the photos aren't loading for me. They were hosted on the old server at My Free Forums, which Tapatalk might not be preserving anymore. I'll have to look into this, as many of our old photos were on that server.

As a name, Top Hat is a funny juxtaposition to Sombrero Canyon. I dig it. And, yes, I'd call it the most western peak in the Gabes. The Sierra Pelonas are their own thing, right?

BTW-There is already a Panorama Peak in the Gabes. It's a historical name for the peak east of Switzer's.
Thanks for the report! You took a very similar route to me, just also bagged Pinetos while you were at it. And you discovered the name "Tophat" the same way I did, from an older little notebook summit register. Seems like the sort of person who would deposit that register might also come by this message board? I hadn't thought of the Sombrero connection, but you might be onto something. I wonder if "Tophat" was just the name given by Jospeh the notebook summit register guy, or if he got it from something else....
Would you mind giving me the coordinates of that historical Panorama Peak east of Switzer's? Would be curious to know exactly what you refer to.
Agreed about the Sierra Pelonas being distinct. I haven't gotten over to those yet, but expect to.
dima

Post by dima »

AW~

Post by AW~ »

I name it by the locals....so Santa Clarita Valley. It can get spicy..for example they raided/claim Placerita Canyon...and if you mention the San Gabes, they say what are 99% of the visitors? And who cares about it and takes care of it? San Gabes has to go to the Little Tujunga for safety. And yeah, they claim the northern Ridge Route as their sprawl grows to the north. Then you got the Los Padres...they lay claim to it partially as well...although they claim too much...they really do.
David R

Post by David R »

I do not use the term San Gabriel Mountains as it is clearly an exclusionary term referencing a saint and Christianity. This is hostile to other religions and people that do not believe. San Bernardino and Santa Monica has similar exclusionary issues. The Tongva the indigenous people had their name changed to Gabrielenos so it would be appropriate to name it after them and reclaim their heritage, they called the world Tovaangar, hence it is the Tovaangar Mountains from now on. Also Baldy, San Gorgonio, San Jacinto, and Santiago/Modjeska were all considered sacred sits so no more climbing these peaks, the end.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Good find, dima! I think I can feel comfortable enough committing to the idea that "Tophat" is our furthest west peak of the San Gabriels.
I just was wondering about the furthest East.... PeakBagger San Gabriel PEMRAC uses the Mojave River outside of Hesperia as the eastern edge of the Range. Its highly arguable if we're just out and about in the sediments of the Antelope Valley or actually in the nascent beginnings of the San Gabes, but you could maybe says the peak is along this Mojave river bluff or something. If bluffs count as peaks, which they may not. Obviously lots of room for argument here if someone has a better prospect for the furthest east peak....
Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 7.43.40 PM.png
dima

Post by dima »

A confession: I added it to the map after I saw this post :) But it's totally legitimate! There's a register and several trip reports!
Sean

Post by Sean »

dima wrote: A confession: I added it to the map after I saw this post :) But it's totally legitimate! There's a register and several trip reports!
Now that it's in OSM it'll become a top destination.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Nate U wrote: I just was wondering about the furthest East....
Probably something near the 15/215 split. Is Mormon Battalion Mountain part of the Gabes?
Sean

Post by Sean »

Nate U wrote:
Sean wrote: BTW-There is already a Panorama Peak in the Gabes.
Would you mind giving me the coordinates of that historical Panorama Peak east of Switzer's? Would be curious to know exactly what you refer to.
@walker would be able to describe it better, as he did the original research and actually hiked to the peak. I think it's Peak 4711 or the bump immediately west of that. The peaks around Switzer's Camp used to have names which are now lost. There were also trails to these summits, but the trails are mostly gone and haven't been restored. It's a steep scramble up the west ridge to reach 4711. I hope to get up there soon, before the summer heat.

Screenshot_20230419-115435-281.png
dima

Post by dima »

I've been to 4711: viewtopic.php?p=58799

Walker climbed the next ridge to the South (between the two Bear Canyon drainages). It is much more hairy, and probably that's what you're thinking of. His trip report is linked in my Chapel Ridge report above. I haven't checked to see if it mentions "Panorama Peak"
David R

Post by David R »

Walker climbed to Peak 5,058 as I did except from the top. That peak is now called Bear Canyon Point on Peakbagger, not the one you're looking for.
Sean

Post by Sean »

dima wrote: Walker climbed the next ridge to the South (between the two Bear Canyon drainages). It is much more hairy, and probably that's what you're thinking of.
Walker has been all over the Arroyo Seco area. He sent this report before you were added to the email threads:

"I also paid several visits to the ridge summit directly above Switzer's picnic area on the ridge system that divides the main Arroyo channel from Little Bear Canyon. The following album contains photos from visits to that area, including a few more of the abandoned roadbed above.

"The most intriguing bit for me was the summit boulder with some kind of register can or something cemented onto it. It seems as if this peak was frequently visited at some point in the past, but I haven't been able to locate remains of an access trail. My route climbed right up the western ridge, but I'd like to explore the northern side towards the east end of the picnic area, there may be some kind of route in that area. So far I haven't spotted anything on any airial images to put me on the right path."

His album.

The email is from 2017, but I think he was referencing hikes from a couple years prior.

I believe he had found an old description in the literature for Panorama Peak, which put it on that ridge. But I have lost the email thread with any evidence he may have sent. I remember other peaks were Rose (between Little Bear and Bear) and Washburn (to the west).
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Sean wrote:
Nate U wrote:
Sean wrote: BTW-There is already a Panorama Peak in the Gabes.
@walker would be able to describe it better, as he did the original research and actually hiked to the peak. I think it's Peak 4711 or the bump immediately west of that. The peaks around Switzer's Camp used to have names which are now lost. There were also trails to these summits, but the trails are mostly gone and haven't been restored. It's a steep scramble up the west ridge to reach 4711. I hope to get up there soon, before the summer heat.

Screenshot_20230419-115435-281.png
Thanks for all the info. I like this methodology of using the elevations to communicate about unnamed peaks, its pretty efficient.
I'm still getting over the fact you guys do this sort of thing. I've been doing it my entire life, I thought I was the only one....
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

dima wrote: A confession: I added it to the map after I saw this post :) But it's totally legitimate! There's a register and several trip reports!
Oh cool! Well I'm sure Joseph, wherever he is, is very appreciative. The world needs to know what the rightful furthest west San Gabes peak is!!!
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Sean wrote:
Nate U wrote: I just was wondering about the furthest East....
Probably something near the 15/215 split. Is Mormon Battalion Mountain part of the Gabes?
I would totally say it is, good call.
Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 1.07.12 PM.png
What an odd excessive spiderweb of roads and trails all over Mormon Battalion Mt. Sometimes you see that sort of thing with oil fields, but these look like veins or something...
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

I updated my PeakFinder app today and guess what I see when I point it north:
B97D535F-2BC0-48F8-AE29-41B340733163.jpeg
dima

Post by dima »

You're welcome :)
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

dima wrote: You're welcome :)
I guess PeakFinder derives it's data from Openstreetmap....! Pretty cool. Next time I have a peak name I feel legitimate enough about I'm going to follow your lead and be the change I want to see in the world and add it to Openstreetmap.