Dead Mountain Lion Cub

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
David R

Post by David R »

I went up Millard Canyon today to the Dawn Mine and then up to the Mt Lowe fire road. Just past the turn-off for the side waterfall where there is the "trail sign" you will notice a foul smell. I didn't look for what it was but a hiker that I met did and showed me a pic of what looks like a mountain lion kitten carcass. Don't know how it died but pretty sad.

The flow of water is quite impressive not sure if I've ever seen water flow in the upper canyon where there is no foliage but now it is flowing everywhere. There is even flow coming out of the Dawn Mine. The connector to Mt. Lowe is a bit rough on the bottom but the top section has already been reworked and is quite groomed. The Millard Canyon trail is in solid shape with most stream crossings not too difficult.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Interesting. By 'side waterfall' do you mean where Saucer Branch comes in? I might be able to determine what happened to it. When they are very young, sometimes it's as simple as getting separated from mom for whatever reason and they can't hunt yet.