Lukens Trail Conditions

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
David R

Post by David R »

I went up the West Ridge of Lukens via Haines Canyon. A group has worked the route up to the rock that used to have the flag on it at the Top of Tujunga as it is known. Met one angry rattler hidden somewhere in the bushes. Two bumps before the Sister Elsie trail connects to the ridge someone has set up a pretty sophisticated wildlife camera set up. I waved as I walked by, not sure how I feel about these set ups in the middle of nowhere, actually I do, I don't like them.

A lot of work had been done to make the Haines Canyon fire road to be accessible for vehicles to get up to Lukens. Those days are over again, towards the top there has been a massive slide that covers the entire fire road. Additionally the lower section has been washed out where a drainage chute must have been blocked and the flow went right down the fire road. The trail connector off the fire road down to the Sister Elsie trail that has the VW Bug on it is in good shape until the bottom switchbacks. There are two drainages at the bottom that have been in poor shape for a while. The top one is almost completely wiped out so you have to be careful getting around that section. The lower one is easier to get by. There is also a wood Lukens sign that has been created and left on top. I don't know how I feel about them, actually I do, I don't like them.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Is "Top of Tujunga" an actual bump? Which bump?
David R

Post by David R »

Sean wrote: Is "Top of Tujunga" an actual bump? Which bump?
I believe they refer to the rock that they put the flag into as Top of Tujunga but geographically it doesn't have any prominence to note.
anarchist

Post by anarchist »

David R wrote:
Sean wrote: Is "Top of Tujunga" an actual bump? Which bump?
I believe they refer to the rock that they put the flag into as Top of Tujunga but geographically it doesn't have any prominence to note.
I've always known it as camels back.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Sorry about the intrusion to your hike. The camera won't be there forever. I don't like to see people on the cameras as much as you don't like to see cameras, I would guess! That's why it's way the heck up there.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I never heard of that bump referred to as the "Top of Tujunga".
I've been there many tines. The flag is not always there but it's a great place to take a break. Also the rick wall acts as a nice wind barrier.
David R

Post by David R »

cougarmagic wrote: Sorry about the intrusion to your hike. The camera won't be there forever. I don't like to see people on the cameras as much as you don't like to see cameras, I would guess! That's why it's way the heck up there.
Just make sure you post your wildlife pics including the one of me to make this worthwhile.
David R

Post by David R »

Girl Hiker wrote: I never heard of that bump referred to as the "Top of Tujunga".
I've been there many tines. The flag is not always there but it's a great place to take a break. Also the rick wall acts as a nice wind barrier.
https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/whiting-woods-motorway-trail-fc2022c