Missing forum member (Colin Walker)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
tonesfrommars

Post by tonesfrommars »

@Sean @Uncle Rico @Nate U @Girl Hiker @Sean @dima
This is Ian Walker, Colin's brother. We are very concerned because we have not heard from Colin since Friday night and he has no-showed at work over the weekend and this morning. His wife and son are in Spain. I am outside of LA, but driving there immediately. I will be driving over the Angeles Crest Highway on my way into town to look for his car. We don't know if he was planning to hike this weekend, but that's our first guess. I will be filing a missing person report and we are working to contact Alta Dena SAR. Do any of you perhaps know if he had plans to be out in the mountains this weekend? I spoke with him the day before you all went hiking together, which is how I knew to come check here. Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated. We are very concerned. Thank you!
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

@tonesfrommars Thank you for reaching out, Ian, you are smart to check here. I personally didn't know of any hikes this past weekend with Colin being involved, but someone may.

Heads up Ian, the Angeles Crest Highway is closed for most of its route this summer, from Red Box to Grassy Hollow last I heard. So you will not be able to drive the through the length of it. What is the description of Colin's car?
tonesfrommars

Post by tonesfrommars »

Thank you.
Colin’s car is a silver 2003 Subaru Outback. I don’t have license plate number handy but I’ll post here when I get it.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I will check out a few trailheads in the Pasadena, Sierra Madre area in the next hour and report here if I see a car like that.

-Brian
tonesfrommars

Post by tonesfrommars »

Wonderful, thank you!

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nothing at Bailey Cyn trailhead in sierra madre.

One silver sub outback at mt. Wilson trail trailhead in sierra madre. Looks more recent than 2003...parked on mira monte ave...

20230717_111649.jpg
tonesfrommars

Post by tonesfrommars »

That’s definitely not his, I’ll post an image if I can get one. God bless you for looking.

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

1 sub outback at entrance to eaton cyn park (altadena drive). Again, not sure of the year....
20230717_113349.jpg
tonesfrommars

Post by tonesfrommars »

Nope. ??

Sean

Post by Sean »

Thank you for reaching out. I'm disheartened to hear about this. Please tell SAR that Colin loves going off-trail around the Arroyo Seco watershed, especially around Switzer's Camp area. I'm going to get together my pack and head up the Angeles Crest Highway now to look for his car. Check all turnouts and Switzer parking areas and Redbox up to Wilson. There's also a parking turnout beyond Redbox where they've shut down the highway.
tonesfrommars

Post by tonesfrommars »

Wonderful. Thank you @Sean . We are about 4 hours from LA, but en route. I’ll post any updates here. Police report has been filed and we’ll be asking if they can ping his phone.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Colin Walker is missing. His brother has reported not hearing from him over the weekend. Colin hikes off trail a lot and might be somewhere in or near the Arroyo Seco watershed area. Please post here or contact local police if you have information on his whereabouts.

IMG_20230507_063735013_HDR.jpg

I will be in the mountains looking for the rest of the day. I'll post updates here when I have a signal.
dima

Post by dima »

I just checked the tapatalk logs. He last did stuff here at "11:34 PM - 2 days ago". Presumably this means that on Sat night he was in civilization.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

No car sightings at other eaton cyn entrances, altadena crest entrances and rubio cyn entrances. Nothing at loma alta ( top of lake ave.). Now heading further west to check.
tonesfrommars

Post by tonesfrommars »

Hi @dima
I think we climbed together at stronghold once. Yeah, I saw his posts on this thread which was actually Friday night even though it said “2 days ago”. Can you click on that time stamp and tell me if it was actually Saturday instead of Friday? That would be helpful to clarify.

If anyone else here has any thoughts on who (if anyone) that he could possibly have been out with this weekend let me know. My phone is (818)720-3721

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Damn. This is the second person to go missing in that general area.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Don't forget about the various parking areas for Lower Millard and Lower Arroyo Seco.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I checked along chaney trail (millard parking lot, sunset ridge). No car sightings.

Not sure where other access pts you are refering to Sean, but I will look in this area, head towards devil gate dam. Then I have to break for a couple of hours.
dima

Post by dima »

tonesfrommars wrote: Hi @dima
I think we climbed together at stronghold once. Yeah, I saw his posts on this thread which was actually Friday night even though it said “2 days ago”. Can you click on that time stamp and tell me if it was actually Saturday instead of Friday? That would be helpful to clarify.
I just looked into it a bit more, and you're right: last activity here was Fri night. I hope he's safe
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I wish I could help search, but I am in Tahoe for the week. I hope we have good news soon.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

1 silver sub outback at top of Windsor Ave at Ventura St. Wrong year likely but here it is...
20230717_123256.jpg
tonesfrommars

Post by tonesfrommars »

Not the one, but thank you. No roof box or rear racks, maybe a single roof bike rack. I’m working on getting a photo and a license number.

K_Sabo

Post by K_Sabo »

A description of his vehicle and license plate would help if he's parked at a trailhead.

OK - 2003 Subaru Outback. Silver. License unknown.

Lic is 5EQP552
Sean

Post by Sean »

Please check JPL lot for Arroyo and Canyon Crest drive crossing at Millard.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Not able to check anymore for an hour or so, but will look where Sean suggests later.
Sean

Post by Sean »

1:14 pm His car is not at Milmada parking. Heading up ACH.
1:16 Not at parking for Gould Mesa.
2:33 update, Separately Jason and I have gone up and down the ACH to Redbox and up to Wilson. No sign of his car at any turnout or trailhead. I checked all roads around Wilson, even the open service roads. Now I'm checking the Angeles Forest Highway and Big Tujunga Roads.
tonesfrommars

Post by tonesfrommars »

I have started a WhatsApp group and compiling list of parking spots that have been checked so we don’t duplicate efforts. There are a few people out looking and we want to be efficient. If anyone here would like to be added please DM me your phone number. Thank you.

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I'll leave work here in about 15 mins. I'll drive up Big Tujunga Canyon and then take the Angeles Forest Highway to Clear Creek.
stonehillnews

Post by stonehillnews »

tonesfrommars wrote:I have started a WhatsApp group and compiling list of parking spots that have been checked so we don’t duplicate efforts. There are a few people out looking and we want to be efficient. If anyone here would like to be added please DM me your phone number. Thank you.

Ian, please make sure that the Sheriff has your cell number and Colin’s number. Do you have direct contact with them yet? They are aware of the case and working it. I’m not sure if you are speaking directly to their SAR OL yet.
tonesfrommars

Post by tonesfrommars »

Here is a link to WhatsApp group. I’m having trouble adding people with only phone number for some reason.

https://chat.whatsapp.com/JO77F4QiIhZ5OFw8b0FBl1