Missing forum member (Colin Walker)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Tribune article.

"No foul play is suspected."
Sean

Post by Sean »

courtney wrote: i recall them saying the last ping on his phone was only a mile from the car, two whole hours into the hike. that seems to match up with these findings?
He was about 1.7 miles into the route, a half mile up the ridge from where you leave the motorway. It's where the ridge begins to climb and gets steep. He may have been following an animal track, looking for an old trail, or simply trying to switchback up the ridge. Maybe he stumbled and fell from a higher point, or had a heart attack, or was bitten by a rattlesnake and didn't make it back down. Lots of possibilities.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Those old trails... my mind may be off, but I thought I remember some historical topos clearly showing them at higher resolution. Like 1940 ish year.

1.7 miles where it gets steeper sounds like at the intersection with the old Bill Cull trail. I remember one friend and I went on it a bit (I can't remember on purpose or by mistake) while the rest of our group went up the correct way after us. We try to "connect" up to the main ridge and was quite steep.

I found the old gps, you can see the divergence and reconnection to the proper route if you zoom in.

https://www.strava.com/activities/42396808
Paul Ayers

Post by Paul Ayers »

Just so were clear on what trails are in play here, the Bill Cull Trail does not intersect with the Clamshell Peak Trail; the trail I believe participants are referring to is the Four Palms Trail. Here is a map showing the relationship of the three trails. It appears Colin was found near the junction of the Clamshell Peak and Four Palms Trails.
bill cull.jpg
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I should have refered to it as the connector trail to the Bill Cull trail. 15 years ago this connector trail was HPS route 1...since deleted from HPS site. Bob Burd was able to follow it and noted the 4 palm trees. I also tried to follow it but was turned back by excessive overgrowth amd numerous rattlesnakes.

https://www.snwburd.com/bob/trip_report ... ell_1.html
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I don't believe I ever met Colin but we might've crossed paths before. He seemed like a great guy and my heart goes out to his family and friends. Hopefully we can get more info about what happened. RIP.
Paul Ayers

Post by Paul Ayers »

The map of the helicopter path supplied by Dima centers on the junction of Clamshell Peak and Four Palm Trails. The helicopter circled; I assume it was waiting for the ground team to bring the remains to where the helicopter could lower the basket for the remains to be loaded; I doubt there was anywhere in that area a chopper could land.
.66.jpg
Paul Ayers

Post by Paul Ayers »

Here is a ca. 2021 view of the junction of the Clamshell and Four Palms Trails. It appears the Bobcat Fire made the Four Palms fall to pieces. On the What's App thread, though, we were told SAR was working this trail
all trails.jpg
Paul Ayers

Post by Paul Ayers »

Here is a 1933 aerial showing essentially the same view as the ca. 2021. Note how the old trail used switchbacks to overcome the very steep portion of the firebreak trail used today. I know Colin well enough to know he would have found this aerial and be interested in the old trail. One possibility is that Colin went looking for the switchbacks shown on the aerial and got into trouble. The family was told he was found "near a cliff"; it does not sound like he was on the main trail.
1933 s.jpg
Sean

Post by Sean »

Paul Ayers wrote: Here is a 1933 aerial showing essentially the same view as the ca. 2021. Note how the old trail used switchbacks to overcome the very steep portion of the firebreak trail used today. I know Colin well enough to know he would have found this aerial and be interested in the old trail. One possibility is that Colin went looking for the switchbacks shown on the aerial and got into trouble. The family was told he was found "near a cliff"; it does not sound like he was on the main trail.
Definitely. I suspected as much but couldn't find anything on the old maps, but he was probably looking at this aerial closely. Thanks for finding it.
GPhiker

Post by GPhiker »

We'll presumably know more in time, but whether or not he was looking for the long-ago switchbacks, I'm wondering whether he was found to the west or east of the main firebreak. To the west, it looks like there are some steep cliffy areas. To the east, it looks like there are washouts on the Four Palms trail and like there are some possibly intermittent streams going down from south of that trail whose headwaters might involve cliffy areas. He could've been in either location to check something out or because he was feeling ill for some reason.

Is it known for sure that he had trouble on the way up, or could he have had a problem on the way back? People have mentioned the ping data. I know that law enforcement (with a warrant) can "ping" a phone, but is what is being referred to the ordinary communication that phones frequently do with cell towers -- I think even when no call is being made?

If such communication were to stop, would that imply that the phone had been damaged (or lost battery), or just that it had been turned off? (A hiker might suddenly remember that they intended to put their phone into airplane mode and then turn it off.)
courtney

Post by courtney »

GPhiker wrote: I know that law enforcement (with a warrant) can "ping" a phone, but is what is being referred to the ordinary communication that phones frequently do with cell towers -- I think even when no call is being made?
yes, i was referring to the last known cell tower ping the morning he set out.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Paul Ayers wrote: The map of the helicopter path supplied by Dima centers on the junction of Clamshell Peak and Four Palm Trails. The helicopter circled; I assume it was waiting for the ground team to bring the remains to where the helicopter could lower the basket for the remains to be loaded; I doubt there was anywhere in that area a chopper could land.
If you view the track log, the helicopter initially hovers in place for 17 minutes.
jesmeza

Post by jesmeza »

Colin was within a 1 mile radius of his car according to the map. Less than 4,000 feet in fact. Wondering if the back pack contents were intact or if Colin had got the tools out?
courtney

Post by courtney »

heartbreaking. maybe we will learn more details that will explain why he wasn’t found sooner.
Paul Ayers

Post by Paul Ayers »

Some of our questions may be answered once we know the exact location where he was found.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

The satellite imagery really illustrates how decimated that landscape was by the Bobcat fire. And after a big rainy winter there are plentiful dangers in an area as steep as that. Fire might expose alluring old trails, but beware everyone...
Paul Ayers

Post by Paul Ayers »

Per the Pasadena Star News this morning, Colin was found "300’ down a ravine in the [ANF]'s Lower Clamshell Area." My guess is, having done this myself, that he started following one of the old switchbacks to the west or east of the firebreak, took a chance on some ground and it gave way; I walked away from a 50' slide-fall in Rubio in 1997, you don't walk away from a 300' equivalent. Looking at the 2021 aerial, as Nate U points out, it is clear how dangerous the area on either side of the main trail is.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

So what's the usual route to Clamshell/Rankin/Monrovia from the south? Lower Clamshell Motorway to fire break then to Upper Clamshell Rd? I always assumed the fire road went all the way to the peaks.
David R

Post by David R »

Anthony wrote: So what's the usual route to Clamshell/Rankin/Monrovia from the south? Lower Clamshell Motorway to fire break then to Upper Clamshell Rd? I always assumed the fire road went all the way to the peaks.
Most people go up the Lower Clamshell to that firebreak and go straight up to Clamshell, that allows you to climb all three peaks and is a much more direct/short ascent. From there the long fire road is available all the way back to Monrovia Canyon Park. Once you drop from White Saddle you can make the hike a bit more interesting as there are trails in the upper canyon that you can follow that are enjoyable to get off the boring fire road. I usually try and jog down the fire road. There was one time where I went down Clamshell firebreak but it didn't save me that much time as you have to backtrack from Monrovia Peak.
diga_diga

Post by diga_diga »

I've been following along, stunned at Colin's circumstances - my deepest condolences to his wife, son and family. I played Brazilian music with Colin many times, he was exceptional and inspiring. In fact he was supposed to play a gig with us last Saturday, we all agreed to commune together to play and donate the proceeds to the SAR team, at that time we were still hopeful, knowing he was an expert hiker. I'm glad to have found this community, you've provided some answers. RIP Colin.
courtney

Post by courtney »

Paul Ayers wrote: Per the Pasadena Star News this morning, Colin was found "300’ down a ravine in the [ANF]'s Lower Clamshell Area." My guess is, having done this myself, that he started following one of the old switchbacks to the west or east of the firebreak, took a chance on some ground and it gave way; I walked away from a 50' slide-fall in Rubio in 1997, you don't walk away from a 300' equivalent. Looking at the 2021 aerial, as Nate U points out, it is clear how dangerous the area on either side of the main trail is.
thanks for this, paul.

many years ago, my cousin fell 200' while hiking in topanga; the consolation was that he died instantly. i hope colin did not suffer. my heart hurts for you all.
lauhikes

Post by lauhikes »

Paul Ayers wrote: Here is a ca. 2021 view of the junction of the Clamshell and Four Palms Trails. It appears the Bobcat Fire made the Four Palms fall to pieces. On the What's App thread, though, we were told SAR was working this trail
That section where Clamshell & Four Peaks "connect" is in really poor condition. ?

I attempted that trail in May because I was looking for a shorter loop back to Monrovia Canyon. I didn't have my poles so I turned back after crossing the first really sketchy canyon part and went back down Lower Clamshell.
IMG_0397.PNG
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Damn, looks like that trail's in the closure zone? It didn't occur to me that the closures were in part due to unstable ground. I always assumed it had to do with not disturbing the vegetation.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Anthony wrote: Damn, looks like that trail's in the closure zone? It didn't occur to me that the closures were in part due to unstable ground. I always assumed it had to do with not disturbing the vegetation.
Yeah, have we determined if Colin was actually within the closure zone when the incident occurred? If not, maybe the FS needs to expand the current boundaries to include this area.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

300' is a lot. Depending on location, that could have been directly in the upper part of Clamshell Canyon.
dima

Post by dima »

He was right on the boundary of the ANF.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Anthony wrote: Damn, looks like that trail's in the closure zone? It didn't occur to me that the closures were in part due to unstable ground. I always assumed it had to do with not disturbing the vegetation.
The root systems often burn, leaving 'ant-hill' cavities that are a man trap. I almost fell in one up by Sherman Pass about 1 year after the McNally Fire. I saw some smoke coming from a pit where a tree once stood. I was curious, walked close, I got about 1m away from what I thought to be hazardous, and post-holed into the ground! YIKES!

Additionally, in the San Gabes, I'd be very worried the excess heat would accelerate the decomposition of granite.
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

Always sad hearing about the passing of a member of the hiking community. Rest in peace Colin.
jesmeza

Post by jesmeza »

Well it looks like you could go almost right to the site of the accident (assuming it was not a medical event) without entering the closure-order zone. I doubt there's a sign marking the boundary.
Seems like a busy junction: It's at the Angeles Forest boundary (the closure boundary). It's where the Four Palms Trail comes in. It's where the Bobcat Fire actually has it's boundary. It's where the ridge slope goes from soft to really steep.