Mendenhall peak

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I crossed another peak off my list. I couldn't remember why I hadn't bagged Mendenhall considering I've hiked a few others around the ridge. Anyways, after reading Tekewin's TR dated June 2015, I was inspired to do it.

I met my Wednesday group at Dillon Divide. We started at 7:30am and it was cool. But after the day's events, I wished we had started earlier. When we reached Highline saddle the weather started heating up.

We saw a rattlesnake and opted not to take the ridge ascent, opposite of what Tekewin did. Instead, we took the long, boring road around Mendenhall. On a positive note there were quite a few places to rest in the shade. We arrived at Mendenhall saddle and took a break.

Beyond this point the trail was overgrown but doable. It wasn't like the thick whitethorn that we battled through on Rose Peak. I forgot to put my gaiters on, and I got annoying sticky weeds all over my socks.

Along this route there were three washouts. Nothing too bad except for one gnarly section. It required us to carefully utilize a rock outcropping to boost ourselves up and over, to get back on the trail with a steep drop just below it. After walking a short distance, I found a use path just below an old foundation, and we followed it to the top.

On the peak we admired the views and checked out the abandoned structures. I didn't find a benchmark but someone placed a new register at the high point under some rocks.

There wasn't any trash by the water tank, as mentioned in Tekewin's report. So I'm glad someone cleaned it up.

It was at this moment, when I turned on my phone to see if I had a signal & call Sean, that I found out the devastating news about Colin. My heart sank and I said a prayer.

On the descent we took the steep firebreak which was very slippery and rocky. It started to get hotter but we had a cool breeze for part of the way.

Halfway into the descent one of my friends started having issues. After trying to help, I decided to call for medical attention.

We slowly made it back to Highline saddle and walked a short distance before help arrived. The paramedics attended to her and the rest of us walked back to the cars.

This has been an emotional past two weeks and today didn't make it any better.

Oh yeah, I found what looks like a benchmark descending the ridge route by the water tank.
20230726_143403.jpg
20230726_125243.jpg
20230726_122257.jpg
20230726_121450.jpg
20230726_120230.jpg
20230726_120555.jpg
20230726_110201.jpg
20230726_101813.jpg
20230726_090115.jpg
20230726_074116.jpg
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

You were in my neck of the woods!
Yes, that area is going to be *hot* this time of the year. And not a lot of shade either. Not recommended for a summer hike particularly with the temps we've had recently. I haven't quite bagged Mendenhall myself yet but I hope to do so this winter. I'll probably do the ridge line out and the road back.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I recommend the ridge route out n back. The other side of Mendenhall is overgrown with a couple of narrow sections and washouts.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I recommend starting much earlier and taking a lot more water. Also, cover up completely to avoid heat exhaustion. It sounds counter-intuitive, but wearing light, long pants and sleeves protects your body from the sun burning you up.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Think Sir Lawrence of Arabia!
David R

Post by David R »

HikeUp wrote: Think Sir Lawrence of Arabia!
You've just shown your age, also wear light colors they absorb less heat think Raiders of the Lost Ark
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

David R wrote:
You've just shown your age, also wear light colors they absorb less heat think Raiders of the Lost Ark
60 is not an age! It's a warning ;)
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

David R wrote:
You've just shown your age. Wear light colors, think GLADIATOR.

(This PSA has been brought to you from one of the forum's resident Millennials)
David R

Post by David R »

Nate U wrote:
David R wrote:

I was actually planning on saying Dune but knew I would lose this crowd completely.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

David R wrote:
Nate U wrote:
David R wrote: You've just shown your age, also wear light colors they absorb less heat think Raiders of the Lost Ark

I was actually planning on saying Dune but knew I would lose this crowd completely.
I thought about saying DUNE too, but I think Gen Z gets to take ownership of that one ?
Sean

Post by Sean »

Think Spaceballs!

Screenshot_20230728-165331~3.png
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Read Dune 12 years after it was published. I've been dreaming of getting a stillsuit ever since. And curiously enough, there's this bit of background to Dune...

"...he was influenced by the story of T. E. Lawrence and the "messianic overtones" in Lawrence's involvement in the Arab Revolt during World War I. In an early version of Dune, the hero was actually very similar to Lawrence of Arabia, but Herbert decided the plot was too straightforward and added more layers to his story."
K_Sabo

Post by K_Sabo »

Glad to hear the trash was cleaned up on the peak at the old fire lookout. :-)
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I get the message!
I'm just a shorts kinda girl. However, I do need to shop for some new hiking clothes. Light colors of course.
K_Sabo

Post by K_Sabo »

Hiking in the upper 90s isn't really safe for anyone. Your body needs a way to cool to 98.6 when exerting itself (generating internal heat) and if the outside temp is near 98.6, body cooling can't happen efficiently or at all if higher. Light color clothing including hats, cooling vests, hiking umbrellas, and shade all help reduce the effective temp, obviously. Some individuals seem to be able to handle the really hot temps, but they are the exception.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Some individuals seem to be able to handle the really hot temps, but they are the exception.
True and the ones who needed help that day couldn't handle it. I was fine. Thanks for the extra advice.