Colin Walker Memorial Thread

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Colin standing above the Arroyo Seco, en route to Panorama Peak.
Colin standing above the Arroyo Seco, en route to Panorama Peak.

Colin and I shared a passion for music and the mountains. We focused on different styles of music when it came to playing guitar, but we couldn't be more in tune when it came to exploring the mountains. The secret treasures, the abandoned trails, the forgotten peaks, the old camps and cabins, these lost and historical things sang to us, and we listened carefully.

Colin died following the music of the Great Hiking Era (1880s to 1930s). He concentrated on the Arroyo Seco and Switzer's camp area. With Paul Ayers and others, we have worked to restore several abandoned trails, we've located old cabin sites, and recently we re-discovered and visited Rose Peak, which lies west of Mt. Deception. While I was content simply hiking to another historical peak, Colin was multi-tasking. In the middle of our hike, he took a side trip to search for signs of yet another lost trail between Switzer's and Mt. Disappointment.

Some of us treat the mountains like a precious song. We must learn and memorize every sound and rhythm and lyric within. Colin died following a particular song, one that came from a place beyond his regular amphitheater in the Arroyo Seco. He ventured a little eastward, toward the melody of the Big Santa Anita. He hoped to immerse himself in its history, and discover its forgotten things, of which there are undoubtedly many.

In an unsent email, sent to me later by his brother, Colin drafted an invitation to me. One of his last thoughts was of sharing his knowledge and discoveries. He hoped to guide me to the remains of the East Fork Trail in Big Santa Anita Canyon, and together we might bring that dead path back to life. I wish instead that I could resurrect Colin, fully restored to his original and curious self.

You get to know a man when it's just you and him, hanging together from some branches on a steep ridge. I felt that kinship of two souls willing to risk life and limb for the music of the mountains and its history. Many of us in this small but tight community lost a piece of our souls, and it really hurts. May his family, his co-workers, his bandmates and his hiking friends all find some peace of mind knowing that Colin will always be fondly remembered and painfully missed.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Thank for for the celebration of life thread. In canyoneeringville the '2 threads' finally got rolling as well some years ago.
I dont know Colin, other than posts, and I say that not to distance myself, but I pretty much travel solo...for a reason.
And so this is a much better direction, and Im glad to see it. It takes more effort for these posts.

The v sign btw is 'i miss you'....saudade...for example by thievery corp. Only the music...its got that sad undertone, but i miss you is not sad. Its victory.
I read that he was into choro music...and that works too...but maybe he liked only choro music and would object to choro saudade music.

Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

AW-Very nice!
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

When you share a passion for something, particularly one rare and specific like hacking through punishing brush up the side of some steep unknown ridge to get yourself on top of an unnamed bump of rock for some obscure reason, you can sort of understand the other person very quickly. Because you don't do something like that unless you love to do it. Unless it fuels your soul to get you through the week until the next day you can get out there and do it again. When you find another person who shares that, it feels like you've known them longer than you actually have. I may have gotten to spend just 6 hours with Colin, but I know we were both on a very similar trajectory for far longer than that before the day finally came we were navigating our way along the same ridge at the same time. It was a beautiful day, just like any day out there always is. We were brothers in arms, making our own trail where none existed.
IMG_20230709_080631526.jpg

As profoundly tragic as what happened to Colin may be, I find solace in knowing he left us doing exactly what he absolutely loved, what fueled his soul. What fuels our souls, too. I know he didn't have far to travel to make it to his Heaven that day.
librarianlopez

Post by librarianlopez »

Colin taught me how to backpack, how to listen to music, and was the best man at my wedding.
Wish you were here.
craigchanowski22

Post by craigchanowski22 »

Rest In Peace, Colin Walker, Julian Sands, Crystal Paula Gonzalez
ANF-mount baldy-pe-8.jpg
ANF-strawberry peak-pe-8.jpg
anarchist

Post by anarchist »

RIP and thanks for all the inspiration Walker!?
Paul Ayers

Post by Paul Ayers »

A musical tribute to Colin will be held on Saturday; not an official memorial but a group of friends playing music in memory.
c5bbaf31-9309-40a0-b75b-c6640b600ca0.jpg.JPG