What in tarnation?!

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Here's a thread to express your surprise and/or anger over travesties like people using the name "Stoddard Falls" for the Baldy Waterslide.

Screenshot_20230810-082420-177.png

I discovered another travesty on Instagram, where they're referring to the West Fork Road as the "Devil's Canyon Dam Truck Trail."

Screenshot_20230810-074821~2.png

In this case, at least the road actually has some connection to Devil's Canyon. Still, the name is false and dumb, and people should know better. The Forest Service even has a page for the West Fork Road. And how on earth do you not see the name of the dam on the road gate?!

Screenshot_20230810-084226-680.png
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Well, those infamous Colby secret waterfalls are back...now known as Hidden Swimming Holes.
https://www.thetravel.com/magical-swimm ... nal-forest
"Travelers can visit Pasadena to discover its landmarks and explore its rich nature. The Colby Canyon is located approximately 18 miles from Pasadena and is home to some of the best swimming holes in California.

Known as the Hidden Swimming Holes, they are perfect for hikers seeking an almost secret location to relax in an almost private area. However, to reach these swimming holes, travelers must be willing to cross rugged paths and have some hiking experience"

Also note #7 in the san gabes.."The Big Falls Trail is located in the San Gabriel Mountains near Arroyo Grande (approximately five miles). This trail is considered moderate, and hikers often take 2h30 to finish the hike, but they encounter many pleasant surprises along the way.

After the first mile, travelers will find the first swimming hole and encounter many more. According to people who have visited the place, the upper swimming hole is easy to access, while the lower ones are more challenging, as it involves small climbing"

Course Cedar Creek is listed...you though SD county..no, San Gabes. "Nestled within the San Gabriel Mountains, Cedar Creek is a magical swimming hole for families. Accessible via the Cedar Creek Trail from Azusa River Wilderness Park, the approximately 2-mile hike showcases scenic vistas of lush landscapes and cascading waters."
Sean

Post by Sean »

Haha, Luana Ferreira was clearly high when she wrote that article. I mean, when she lamely stole the ideas from other sites like this one.
David R

Post by David R »

I hiked Cucamonga today and the parking for the Baldy Waterslide have reached peak Tik Tok, this area will soon have no parking signs all over the place.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

But that IS a good pic of the Bridge to Nowhere.

You got to give Launa that.
Taco

Post by Taco »

You guys still read?
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I was at the Baldy Slide two weeks ago on a Wednesday. It started to get crowded after 12 pm.

It was my first time and really nice. But clearly lots of idiots who were unprepared, inexperienced and definitely wearing the wrong shoes.
To add, they were holding up the line for us experienced hikers waiting to get past the ropes.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Taco wrote: You guys still read?
I only read what AW links to.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Good grief.

Screenshot_20230829-070757-069.png
dima

Post by dima »

Hah. I didn't even do that. Is that the right location, though? I thought it was North of the crest?
David R

Post by David R »

It looks like Sadie Hawkins has been superseded, this is what happens when you start to play around with names.
Sean

Post by Sean »

dima wrote: Hah. I didn't even do that. Is that the right location, though? I thought it was North of the crest?
It's not the right spot. Our young friend did it. I think he's playing a joke on me.
Sean

Post by Sean »

David R wrote: It looks like Sadie Hawkins has been superseded, this is what happens when you start to play around with names.
Funny how Sadie and Middle aren't even on OSM.
dima

Post by dima »

They COULD be. Do you want them to be? What's the reference for those names?
Sean

Post by Sean »

dima wrote: They COULD be. Do you want them to be? What's the reference for those names?
Sure, they might as well be on OSM. They're very well established informal names, and they appear on Peakbagger and MapBuilder Topo. I don't know when people started calling the bumps by those names. It might predate the internet. "Middle Hawkins" is a natural reference to its location between Mt. Hawkins and South Hawkins, while "Sadie Hawkins" must refer to the "Sadie Hawkins Dance" events that have been taking place since the 1930s, named after a cartoon character.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sean wrote:
dima wrote: They COULD be. Do you want them to be? What's the reference for those names?
Sure, they might as well be on OSM. They're very well established informal names, and they appear on Peakbagger and MapBuilder Topo. I don't know when people started calling the bumps by those names. It might predate the internet. "Middle Hawkins" is a natural reference to its location between Mt. Hawkins and South Hawkins, while "Sadie Hawkins" must refer to the "Sadie Hawkins Dance" events that have been taking place since the 1930s, named after a cartoon character.
Called "Middle Hawkins Mountain" on 1962 HPS List, to note its location between Mt. Hawkins and South Mt. Hawkins.
Presently a use-name only.
Peak was on the original 1946 HPS Peak List. Weldon Heald climbed this peak in 1939.
Nothing on Sadie though.

Here's my corgi named Sadie. We lost her a few years ago. Good doggie...
IMG_0528.JPG
Sean

Post by Sean »

HikeUp wrote: Nothing on Sadie though.
The name goes back to at least 1946 when a Sierra Club group climbed it on Sadie Hawkins Day.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

That Sierra Club write-up is annoying.

And I don't understand the reference to the Boy Scout rule about changing your socks. What is that? I was a scout and never heard any sort of best-pratices about socks. Maybe I just never got the sock merit badge.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Uncle Rico wrote: That Sierra Club write-up is annoying.
Haha, it's the text from an LA Times article by Glen Binford. I'm guessing he was associated with the Scouts.

HIKERS_CLIMB_PEAKS_OVERLOOKING (1).pdf
(357.79 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yay, thanks, Dima.

Screenshot_20230830-111527-637.png
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Thats kind of incredible Neight Thousand is on OSM now!!!!!!! ?
Hiking with you guys is too much fun!
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

I wonder who first added it to OSM? It wasn't me. Ranger Nick?!
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Sean wrote: I don't know when people started calling the bumps by those names. It might predate the internet.
Certainly before Internet. I knew those names when I was in Scouts, early to mid 1980s.
dima

Post by dima »

Tom Kenney wrote:
Sean wrote: I don't know when people started calling the bumps by those names. It might predate the internet.
Certainly before Internet. I knew those names when I was in Scouts, early to mid 1980s.
OK. I will send the OSM verification police to you!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

How about 2 sets of names one NPS and one NHPS...and NHPS may give a placeholder name. For example, NHPS Toilet Peak NPS South Hawkins. Do you want to visit a toilet or you want to enjoy the lower view?