Pirate Hikes for Pre-Schoolers

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

My son Forest is 3.5 years old give or take, and this will be the first hiking season he is doing backcountry adventures on his own two feet after a couple seasons of being in the backpack.

Although the pace, mileage and terrain need to be taken into consideration when setting out into the SG backcountry with a three year old, my hiking style has always been one to explore the obscure nooks&crannies, and that doesn't change having Forest now the newest member of our family expedition squad. So in this thread my plan is to post mini trip reports of my mini-adventures with Forest this year, creating a collection of Pirate Hikes For Preschoolers™.

I live in the north-central San Fernando Valley, so the hikes will mostly be in the Western Gabes, as well as a few technically in the Verdugos, Santa Susannas and Simi Hills. But mostly will be the Gabes, so I figured I'd start this thread in the SG trip report forum. Particularly for those who want to get off the beaten path with young children, enjoy!
IMG_1729.jpg
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

"Yeah A Stream Hike"
(Lower Towsley Canyon Stream Scramble)

September 4th, 2023
Santa Clarita
elevation 1,389 ft
0.52 miles
57' gain

A nice hot late-summer day, I planned on only taking Forest to the edge of a stream to throw a few rocks into the pools (he loves doing that) but once I got him from the Towsley Canyon parking lot to the banks of Towsley Canyon stream, (a tributary of the South Fork of the Santa Clara River) to my delight he started scrambling on his own accord over the sandstone rocks up the stream and into the brush, and I proudly helped him when necessary as he doggedly let no scratchy brush, deeper pool or slippery boulder stop him.

Although he never told me he wanted to stop, after about a quarter mile of slow going we eventually came upon a giant tangle of willow and deadfall and I decided we should abort up the bank into the canyon meadow, and I hoisted Forest up into the tall grasses and wildflowers and climbed up behind him, and joined the more traditional hiking families along the canyon rd. A promising start to the season!

Forest named the hike himself, BTW!
I didn't take any photos (I'm bad at that usually) but I did make a little video.

screenshot
Screen Shot 2023-10-29 at 1.45.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-29 at 1.56.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-29 at 2.02.52 PM.png
IMG_3088.MOV
(15.88 MiB) Downloaded 697 times
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

"Yeah Wrangler"

Oct 1st, 2023
Santa Clarita
1,774 ft elevation
1.8 miles hiking distance
391 ft gain

We were able to convince our Maine friends who live in Pasadena to join us for a morning amongst the wildflowers in the rugged siltstone foothills of the Santa Clarita Valley. Probably the nicest part of the hike was the newly constructed Arboleda trailhead with a lovely view of the surrounding hills forming a bowl shape around the also newly-constructed housing development. The six of us headed into the Golden Valley Ranch Open Space, and I decided to take the Coyote Canyon trail which was advertised as "Easy" on the map at the trailhead, but proved to be rather overgrown and eroded and not as easy for the family affair as I expected. Leading hikes with friends who are casual hikers is always tricky because you have to really reign in your own sensibilities. Forest and I were game to press on and connect for a loop with the Nadeu Mtnway, but our friends were on a time crunch and so we turned around. Will definitely plan to return for more of these lovely badland foothill SCV trails in the area.

IMG_1169.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-10-29 at 2.30.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-29 at 2.27.08 PM.png
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

"Mysteries of Bear Canyon"

October 28th, 2023
Tujunga Canyons
2,055ft Elevation
1.66 hiking distance
277ft elevation gain

In the lower elevations the slope becomes gentle enough in the canyons that the streams create a depositional environment. These are often flat-bottomed, and the sand, gravel, pebbles and cobbles can create gentle overland conditions that allow for myself to take the family for a scramble off-trail without much complaint. (The "wash" phenomenon?) Gold Canyon on the east side of Yerba Buena Ridge is a prime example. Its one of my favorite features of the Western San Gabes.

Bear Canyon this past weekend was a great example of this wash phenomenon working nicely for a family hike. Starting at it's outlet where it intersects with the longer Sand Canyon, we parked at the abandoned ruins of a campground which was once called I think "Live Oak" - complete with a half-destroyed bathroom and washed-out access road. Does anyone remember "Live Oak" campground along the Sand Canyon (Little Tujunga) Road? It definitely hasn't been active since at least the Sand Fire decimated the area in 2016.

We made it maybe 3/4 of a mile up the wash, Forest picking his way along the riparian deposits of variable sizes. The air was cold and dry, as the sun had yet to penetrate the canyon bottom. There was no surface water, but a ways up the canyon narrowed enough and the bedrock came to the surface and sure enough the running water did too! Funny how in the low elevations of the Gabes you often find running water further upstream instead of down. But Forest was elated at this discovery, and I scouted out the nicest pool I could find for us to gather around for some rock throwing and rest before turning around.

Hiking with a three year old is super fun but requires a LOT of patience - Forest hikes slowly and erratically, his attention jumping from one thing to the next, asking one second to be carried and then the next to walk himself, and everything in between. One fun strategy was my wife and I both holding each of his hands to help support him over the angular stones we picked our way across.

A fun aspect of this hike became finding all the "mystery objects" along the stream bed, odd bits of civilization's detritus that to you and me we wouldn't notice or maybe scoff at, but become objects of wonder and discovery in the eyes of a three year old. Forest found all sorts of random bits of cars or other trash, and we explored every one of them. Beneath canopies of trees became treehouses. Forest's imagination is boundless, and the smallest most ordinary things to us are wondrous to him. Forcing yourself to have the patience to cover only 1/2 mile in an hour or more, the adult hiker can actually learn a few things about observation and wild-land appreciation from the most novice of companions. Bear Canyon came alive with detail and imaginative interpretation in a way it never would have without Forest along.

A cold dry morning until the sun emerged from beyond Santa Clara divide.
IMG_1708.jpeg

Water emerges higher in the canyon! Hurray!
IMG_1734.jpeg

Building a mini-shelter A-frame with a mystery object.
IMG_3165.jpeg

Using rocks to crush acorns to extract the meat!
IMG_3159.jpeg

Exploring the ruins of "Live Oak" campground. This was once a water fountain.
IMG_1737.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-10-29 at 3.37.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-29 at 3.38.26 PM.png
courtney

Post by courtney »

this is so delightful, nate!
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the reports. It'll be fun to watch his progress and development into a pirate of the mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Nate, these are fantastic. I know what you mean about the small mundane things being interesting - I've been taking the grandkids out for night walks and rain walks and pond walks and we explore all kinds of neat places.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Trick-or-Treating in North Hills

North Hills
1.3 Miles

50ft elevation gain

Elevation: 834ft
23 homes tricked for treats

Last year as a 2 1/2 year old Forest tried Trick or Treating for the first time, and although he didn't really know what was going on, we were able to visit a handful of homes and circle one block. The 2023 expedition last night took it to the next level in both mileage and homes visited, with Forest demonstrating impressive stamina for both mileage covered and candy consumption. You can see from our GPS recording there were also a few off-trail scrambles across front yards that didn't phase him, and the occasional class-3 climb/descents over curbs that barely slowed him down. Maybe being a Cat helped his dexterity. The geology observed was primarily low grade thermal metasedimentary conglomerate limestones and bitumen-rich hydrocarbon conglomerates with a mix of primarily igneous clasts. A wide variety of wildlife species were observed, including fairies, goblins, Blippis, Tyrannosaurus, assorted subspecies of Ghouls, Mario the plumber, Witches, a couple Sesame Street characters, and others.

IMG_1828.jpg

The Cat back home worse for wear after the long trek, completely out of his mind on sustained sugar rush.
IMG_3186.jpg

We parked at the Gloria Ave trailhead. As you can see from our GPS track, the Dempsey and Rayen trails probably had the most candy and best views of Halloween decor.
Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 10.04.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 10.31.05 AM.png
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Elevation gained and lost?
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Elwood wrote: Elevation gained and lost?
50ft and 4lbs of candy gained, 50ft and a normal bedtime lost. We started ultralite but pack weight grew as the hike progressed.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

"Caca de Caca"
(Haines Canyon Ramble)
Distance: 2.26 miles
Elevation gain: 621 ft
November 11th, 2023

Mt Lukens is a sprawling staple of the skyline to much of the northern half of Los Angeles metro area, readily looming in any view eastward from the San Fernando Valley or to the north from Glendale and numerous other communities. As a single named mountain, it has a tendency to dwarf the entirety of the nearby Verdugo range like its older, likely more evil, brother. I knew Forest wouldn't be leading us up to the 5,000ft+ summit on this trip, but today's adventure involved rambling one of the many canyons incising this granitic beast of the front range.

Parking in Tujunga was not ideal, and we had to pull off the side of Haines Canyon Ave a bit of the ways down from the trailhead. Wanting to make a little loop with the Mt Lukens Rd, at the debris basin (still filled with water, and ducks) I navigated us up one of the use trails to the south. From it we saw a family of deer, and it lead us past some "Mystery Object" discoveries, like orange traffic cones and this strange and wonderful item:
IMG_3213.jpeg

We also investigated some quartz-heavy mystery boulders, determining them to be granitic in nature, not containing enough hornblende to be considered diorite, and likely cretaceous in age.
IMG_2012.jpeg

As we climbed higher into the canyon, we passed a bicyclist who warned us that we were on a one-way trail frequented by mountain bikers barreling down from Mt Lukens at high speed. This obviously is problematic when you have a 3-year old on the trail, and we found our nearest exit across the stream to the main trail. There should really be signage about this sort of thing, as a hiker on foot with your 3-year old you don't really want to find out you are actually on a one-way downhill bike path the hard way. Word to the wise when navigating these canyon use-trails!

We made our way back down along the Mt Lukens Rd as the heat of the late fall day began to build, and called it good for Haines Canyon for the day. We didn't make as large of a loop as I had wanted, but in reality this was one of the longest distance with most elevation gain hikes Forest has done on foot yet, so I can hardly complain.
IMG_2018.jpeg

Oh BTW, Forest named the hike, as is becoming custom. Not sure the meaning behind it...but 3 year olds can work in mysterious ways.
Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 4.08.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 4.07.44 PM.png
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

"Dadaca"
Hunting for Acorns in East Canyon
Hike distance: 2.22 miles
Elevation gain: 583 feet
November 12th, 2023

The other day I ate some freshly flame-roasted acorns fallen from a White Oak tree deep in a canyon in the front range above Altadena, and was amazed by the delicate flavor. I have in my mind now an ambitious idea inspired by this to make an Acorn pie for Thanksgiving. To that end, the family went on an Acorn hunting expedition to the Oak-ridden East Canyon in Newhall pass, a beautiful backcountry on the North Slope of the Santa Susanna Mts I recommend to anyone looking for a peaceful stroll through a heavily faulted siltstone woodland.

We were unable to locate any of the coveted White Oaks, which produce the largest and least acidic acorns, but there were a ton of Canyon Live Oaks with narrow pointy acorns, and a few Valley Oaks with larger acorns of similar shape scattered throughout. We collected enough to incite the jealousy of the most industrious squirrel, both from the ground on and off the trail, and plucking a few right from some low-hanging branches as well. Its a beautiful tangle of canyons over there, and great for children.

Does anything sound more classically Thanksgiving than an acorn pie? With 4 cups worth of California acorns collected now, my hope is to find out if it can work. Wish me luck, as I will probably need it....! There will be much leeching, this is a certainty.

Forest looking very acorn-hunter chic:
IMG_3220.jpeg
IMG_3217.jpeg

An exhausted squirrel having filled his bag filled with acorns, ready to hibernate for the winter.
IMG_3218.jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 4.53.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 4.56.10 PM.png
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I'm hoping you can work that acorn dessert into a group hike...
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
JakubRZ

Post by JakubRZ »

Super cool thread. My son is now 14 and I fondly remember when we started hiking the St Gabes. Many good times. I do have a reco for you in the easily accessible Eaton Canyon. No, it's not the waterfall trail LOL.

First is the seldom-used west side of Eaton Canyon. Even on weekends when the masses descend on the falls, the lush west bank trail remains largely off-the-beaten path. There are huge oak trees to sit under or climb. There is an old-abandoned garden that is wide open to explore, just look for the fence and open gate. There is also a major spillway bringing massive (during a wet season) water in probably from Altadena Drive. You can start from the Nature Center or you can make it shorter and park at the Henninger trail head at Altadena/Midwick. Drop down and head immediately left before crossing the stream. That is the most interesting part of the west bank...so much to explore there.

Second, also in Eaton Canyon is the east bank immediately across from the nature center. Hike like you would to the falls and after the road crosses the stream to the east bank, everyone continues to go left (North) up towards the Falls. You will go right. You can explore that side of the stream bed all the way down to the New York bridge. If you are a little more adventurous go into Moist Canyon. Bring pants/long sleeves as poison oak is around. Go past the Moist Canyon sign and enter on the right of the wash (south side) and follow the trail above the wash. Once you get to the old Hobo Camp (it will be obvious) you have two options. #1 Follow the main wash which takes a left turn. Head down the wash, if you can, get through thick growth and eventually you will get to where Moist Canyon opens up. The water has carved out some cool features there and eventually you will need to turn around when Moist canyon gets narrow and super steep. #2 You can also keep going past the Hobo camp and less than a quarter mile you will find a massive oak tree that has recently fallen and just past it, an abandoned concrete water tank. And golf balls everywhere, presumably from some living above.

There is even more to explore in Eaton Canyon park, but those two areas are good for kids.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

JakubRZ wrote: There is even more to explore in Eaton Canyon park, but those two areas are good for kids.
Thanks for the tips, JakubRZ. I've only been further up Eaton Canyon, haven't explored the areas around the nature center and waterfall, but I'll definitely put them on the list for exploration with Forest.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Awesome!
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

"Eee Hike"
(Wildwood Canyon Open Space loop)

Hike distance: 2.65 miles
Elevation gain: 883 feet
Dec 3rd, 2023

Its nice when you can compliment a Sunday morning hike with a stop at the farmer's market and vice versa. On the way to our trailhead we stopped at the Santa Clarita farmer's market, and loaded up on mandarins and broccolini. Forest danced with the resident busker playing covers of classic soul songs and annexed an ear of sweet corn, gnawing it triumphantly on the spot.
IMG_2493.jpg
For the hike we conveniently kept it right there in the Santa Clarita Valley, circling Wildwood Canyon atop the slopes of the 3 million year-old Saugus formation of cross-bedded sandstone and pebble conglomerate along Peach Motorway. 

Ever since he began talking, Forest has been fascinated by the water towers we are apt to see on our hikes, spotting them and making exclamations before his parents can even notice. The Santa Clarita Valley is prime water tower territory, and Wildwood Canyon delivered.
IMG_3264.jpg
Despite the great water towers, Fo was coming down with a cold and was mostly miserable on this hike. He insisted on being carried by mommy for all 2+ miles, creating quite the workout for my wife. She was a great sport though and we completed the loop despite Fo's clingy and emotionally tumultuous disposition. Being well-maintained parkland, mystery objects were nowhere to be found. Probably a good thing for most people.
IMG_3267.jpg
You have to sort of hike over the hill to reach wildwood canyon, but once you do you will find yourself in lovely and secluded oak woodland very near the town of Newhall, with shade and wintertime running water within the bowl, (which we did last winter) and sweeping views of the valley and its surrounding mountain ranges along the rim. Recommended for anyone looking for a quiet walk in the Santa Clarita Valley with light usage.
Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 3.26.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 3.30.34 PM.png
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

"Gegeh's Hike"
(Chatsworth Manor Bluffs Ramble)

Dec 10th, 2023
Chatsworth Manor
1,652 ft elevation
2.5 miles hiking distance
895 ft gain

I asked Fo halfway through this hike what he wanted to call it, and without a moment of hesitation he replied "Gegeh's Hike." An hour later as we were getting back into my car I asked him again, and he gave me the exact same answer again immediately. So he was serious about his name. "Gegeh's Hike" it is!

The Simi Hills make up the western edge of the San Fernando Valley, and they are dominated by the distinctive and charismatic Chatsworth Formation, a 68 million-year-old massive turbidite sandstone deposit that creates broad cliffs that shed enormous rounded boulders. The formation is so exposed and unique it instantly creates a landscape unlike any other in Los Angeles the moment you cross into it. 

The bluffs above the quirky little fringe community of "Chatsworth Manor" are privately owned, but I have become somewhat masterful at reading the viability of access points to private land along the fringes of the city, and through a combination of street views and satellite imagery determined a tangle of dirt roads and use trails could be explored from the terminus of the "Healy Trail" street without violating any no-trespassing signs, which I always try to respect. Exploring private land is always a bit of a gamble though, so I had a couple public access backup hikes in mind if Forest and I were to get turned away. Thankfully we encountered no postings or gates barring our path.

This hike was only Fo and Daddy with Mommy taking a much deserved break with some friends. Thankfully Fo was in a much better mood on this hike, and we had a great time. Being private and unmaintained land on the fringes of the city, mysterious objects abounded as we circled beneath the cliffs, eventually putting Fo on my shoulders for a climb up one of the canyons and a shaded picnic of last week's farmers market finds beneath an old coast live oak. 

Forest posing in front of a wonderful example of the charismatic Chatsworth Formation turbidite sandstone:
IMG_3275.jpeg
Standing on a mysterious object Fo identified as a "balance beam." He also spotted one of his beloved water towers in the distance. 
Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 7.14.15 PM.png
A "broken snake" mystery object.
IMG_3280.jpeg
A "tick-tock part in the ground"
Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 7.06.19 PM.png
collecting seeds from wildflowers to plant anew.
IMG_3282.jpeg
Fo made it clear to me this mysterious object was "a gate for bad guys"
IMG_3293.jpeg
Placing his hand on the trail to watch and feel little ants walk all over it.
IMG_3296.jpeg
Having roamed the Simi Hills and explored many objects of mystery, Fo enjoys french fries for lunch from a nice viewpoint at Bob's Big Boy burgers in Northridge.
IMG_3315.jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 7.09.03 PM.png
IMG_3286.jpeg
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Dima or Sean - can you update this thread with the post I made after you migrated to the new site?
dima

Post by dima »

Ah crap. I thought I got everything, but apparently I missed this. Can one of yall do some checks to see if I missed anything else from the past month? Going to grab this one now.
dima

Post by dima »

dima wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:40 pm Ah crap. I thought I got everything, but apparently I missed this. Can one of yall do some checks to see if I missed anything else from the past month? Going to grab this one now.
I found a few missing posts, and re-added them. Should be good now.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

G'Guk
(aka Pacoima Canyon)
3.77 Miles
1121 elevation gain

Midwinter is prime time for hiking in the western gabes, so on Sunday the family ventured forth to investigate a destination I have had on my to-do list for quite some time, Dagger Flat. This past summer I explored Pacoima creek below its little Tujunga Road crossing with Sean ( viewtopic.php?t=8844 ) but now it was time to venture further up into the Magic Mountain Wilderness. After buying Forest a new pair of hiking shoes on the way, we launched from Dillon Divide, taking the scenic Mendenhall Ridge Road. After having spent a lot of time recently in the mountains above Altadena, returning to the western Gabes I was struck by how much more barren this country was. A lot of that can be attributed to the 2016 Sand Fire, which really did change the character of these canyons. The difference in recovery between 2009 Station fire and 2016 Sand fire is very noticeable.

One of the lithologic hallmarks of the San Gabriel Mts, and nowhere more evident than in these quiet ridges of the west, is the shattered and crumbling plutonic rock. Here Forest marvels at the iron-rich mesozoic quartz diorite exposures that can infinitely fracture right in your hands.
IMG_3470.jpeg
We soon left the ridge and descended down into Pacoima canyon, in the process traveling back in time 1.4 Billion years into the ancient, twisted and mysterious Mendenhall Gneiss.This rock is shattered and fractured much like the Granodiorite which intruded it, but the minerals here swirl and twist in a tortured metamorphic whirlpool half the age of life itself.

Here Forest poses on a large and recent rockslide of Mendenhall Gneiss which buried our trail:
IMG_3478.jpeg
Besides this rockslide, generally the trail was in terrific condition and showed signs of recent maintenance and repair. It featured some impressive concrete retaining structures which impressed Forest:
IMG_3473.jpeg
And some effective drainage systems - broken snakes put to good use. There was even a water tower in the canyon below.
IMG_3474.jpeg
Mystery objects in Pacoima Canyon included some fun rusted metal scraps just begging to be played upon:
IMG_3482.jpeg
We eventually reached the canyon bottom, where large swathes of thick buckthorn thrived around blackened oaks, vividly illustrating the fire ecosystem and bringing to mind fond memories of cutting through Black Jack Peak.
IMG_3488.jpeg
Pacoima stream was a gentle freshet rolling over dark cobbles, and Forest rejoiced at all the quality rock throwing it afforded him.
IMG_3483.jpeg
It was a perfectly calm, still and quiet corner of the mountains where we never encountered another human soul, our little family activities framed by steep and crumbling slopes.
IMG_3481.jpeg
IMG_3487.jpeg
There would not be time to travel further upstream to Dagger Flat. Forest had covered the 2 miles down into the canyon well enough - endlessly fascinated by the details of his surroundings in way that is both always charming, and always requiring patience. But we realized it was too ambitious to expect him to be able to hike back up again in reverse. Knowing there wasn't really a better outcome that could get us back to our trailhead before dark, I put him on my shoulders and carried him back up the trail. Forest was not at all happy about this, and screamed in protest. But there wasn't a whole lot of choice to be had, as he does not have the strength and focus yet to hike on his own another 2 miles when the 2 miles is featuring eleven hundred feet of gain to get back out of the canyon. But still he made it 2 miles on his own, demonstrating his growing range. We just have to remember next time that 4 miles is still a bit much for the little guy.
Screen Shot 2024-01-16 at 8.30.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-16 at 8.32.34 PM.png
IMG_3486.jpeg
Sean

Post by Sean »

When he's older he'll like Dutch Louie's Mine, which is before Dagger Flat. This dude dug a tunnel through the ridge to divert water.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Sean wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:15 am When he's older he'll like Dutch Louie's Mine, which is before Dagger Flat. This dude dug a tunnel through the ridge to divert water.
Cool will check it out some time I'm sure. On a more ambitious outing I'd love to make my way as far as possible up Pacoima canyon.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

"Itsia"
(a pocket of discoverability in Placerita)
2.58 Miles
Elevation gain 717 ft

This past Sunday showers swirled around SoCal, but between the clouds were offered glimpses of sunny respite with delightfully mild winter temperatures. I took Forest to explore a little pocket of undeveloped open space in the Santa Clarita Valley between Golden Valley Rd and Sierra Highway in the community of Placerita. As far as I can tell its private land; a few acres of rolling badlands-y hills between highways and housing developments. We traversed across the Pleistocene-dated Saugus and Pacoima formations which consisted of poorly sorted pebbles and cobbles washed into the SCV from the surrounding crystalline plutons. Long story short, to a lot of people, the area could be considered pretty nondescript. But for Forest there was plenty to capture his interest and imagination as we made a route for ourselves across the hummocky hills and dropping in and out of the little stream canyons. And Forest’s father always loves exploring undeveloped land, no matter how humble. Today’s adventure was no exception.

Tasting spicy mustard green flowers.
IMG_3494.jpeg
We scrambled along the edge of what looked like an olive tree plantation, discovering mysterious object irrigation pipes.
IMG_3497.jpeg
Portions of our adventure were off-trail, and Forest was pushing through the brush like a pirate-hiking champ, much to the approval of his father.
IMG_3501.jpeg
Mysterious and triumphant cinder-block discovery.
IMG_3504.jpeg
A very mysterious object indeed. Stingray fossil?!!?!
IMG_3505.jpeg
Peering into the unknowable depths of the tunnel delving mysteriously beneath our path.
IMG_3507.jpeg
Streams were modest even after the rain, but patches of quicksand paired with delightful open puddles were very much worth an investigation.
IMG_3508.jpeg
Yucca stems make the best walking staffs.
IMG_3511.jpeg
Forest described this as a "Dunkin Donuts crane" because of its resemblance to the donut chain's coffee cups. Have to admit, an impressive feat of branding.
IMG_3514.jpeg
Forest did a great job scrambling around for more than 2 miles completely on his own, myself only carrying him on certain steep slopes. And of course water tower sightings at every turn. Maybe the bat wings helped.
IMG_3496.jpeg
Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 11.46.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 11.48.32 AM.png
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. He's a natural scrambler. Did he enjoy the mustard? Spicy can be good, as long as it's not too bitter.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Sean wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:24 pm Thanks for the report. He's a natural scrambler. Did he enjoy the mustard? Spicy can be good, as long as it's not too bitter.
I think he did enjoy the mustard. Last year we ate enough on a hike in Chatsworth I actually felt sick afterwards. Totally worth it though.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Mt Rexmore

Height 2126 feet
1026 feet of elevation gain
2.26 miles

This is a peak that is not labelled on Open Street Map, and the trail is not on Alltrails. The mountain DOES have its own website though oddly enough, and its the only place I can find the name and trail: http://mtrexmore.blogspot.com

Does anyone know why a mountain with its own website is ignored everywhere else?

I had to investigate for myself, and the family was coming along. This was going to be some serious Chatsworth Formation adventuring in the high country of the Simi Hills.

The trailhead was less than ideal for reasons I probably shouldn't specify here. But it does exist right on the side of the Santa Susanna Pass Rd.
Going up, the trail was decently steep, and decently clear, but you could tell didn't receive much traffic. Forest did the best hiking of his life in these early stretches, barely needing any handholding, and sometimes even taking the lead as we made our way higher and higher in the morning shade of this north-facing slope thick with brush.
IMG_3728.jpeg
Mystery objects abounded. There was this trashcan for rocks:
IMG_3723.jpeg
This "broken glow stick"
IMG_3725.jpeg
And plentiful Coyote scat, full of bunny fur. Forest scientifically studied it with careful pokes and prods. Coyotes love this sort of rugged fringe habitat.
IMG_3727.jpeg
We reached the saddle between the two turbidite sandstone peaks of Mt Rexmore, and received a commanding view of the San Fernando Valley to the east.
IMG_3888.jpeg
I was hoping to make it to Chatsworth Peak, and so continued on to the south, however the trail (which exists on OSM) quickly deteriorated and we were soon pushing through brush. Forest and his father didn't seem to mind, but Forest's mother was not so keen on the overgrown path.
IMG_3729.jpeg
I came across some discarded trail building tools, which looked like they had sat there on the sandstone for about as long as the trail had been neglected. 4-5 years maybe?
IMG_3731.jpeg
Knowing Justina's patience for an overgrown trail was quickly being exhausted, I abandoned the planned Chatsworth Peak bagging and settled for the south Peak of Mt Rexmore, which offered some genuine scrambling up and over boulders in the last push to the summit. Forest climbed and scrambled like a champ, and I couldn't have been prouder as we navigated our way across the sandstone completely without a trail.
IMG_3904.jpeg
After making the summit, with Forest getting the best view of all on my shoulders, we sheltered ourselves from the wind for a family picnic of tangerines grown in the yard of the picture editor on my current film. They were a delicious treat at 2,120 feet.
IMG_3896.jpeg
On the way back Forest and I attempted the north summit, myself pushing him up this beautifully tilted slab of sandstone, until a gust of wind blew my hat off and we had to turn back to find it.
IMG_3919.jpg
Mt Rexmore was a whole lot of fun, and I recommend the hike to anyone who isn't afraid of an unmaintained trail and a trailhead that may or may not have some kind of signage. Particularly if you live in the northwest SFV or Simi Valley.
Screen Shot 2024-02-01 at 5.51.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-01 at 5.55.14 PM.png
Sean

Post by Sean »

Nate U wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:34 pmDoes anyone know why a mountain with its own website is ignored everywhere else?
I'm FB friends with Rex Frankel. He posts about Mt. Rexmore on FB. His nonprofit purchased the land to connect with other open spaces. The "peaks" are probably too new and too small to be of much interest to the general hiking community. There are much more historical and prominent peaks in the Gabes that don't appear on maps. Also, it appears that Mt. Rexmore is just a couple bumps below Chatsworth Peak, so it's hardly worth naming or calling a "mount." Perhaps if Rex carved his face into the rock, "Mt. Rexmore" would be appropriate.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Sean wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:04 am
Nate U wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:34 pmDoes anyone know why a mountain with its own website is ignored everywhere else?
I'm FB friends with Rex Frankel. He posts about Mt. Rexmore on FB. His nonprofit purchased the land to connect with other open spaces. The "peaks" are probably too new and too small to be of much interest to the general hiking community. There are much more historical and prominent peaks in the Gabes that don't appear on maps. Also, it appears that Mt. Rexmore is just a couple bumps below Chatsworth Peak, so it's hardly worth naming or calling a "mount." Perhaps if Rex carved his face into the rock, "Mt. Rexmore" would be appropriate.
Rex should definitely carve his face into the cliffs. Seeing how active Rex is with the hiking community, I'm surprised he hasn't added this mountain to Alltrails, as there are plenty of far less noteworthy hikes on there. They put paved half-mile walks around a city park on Alltrails.
Maybe there is some kind of legal access problem that derailed the whole dream of Mt Rexmore. Like I said the trails look like they haven't been maintained in a few years, with abandoned tools and everything.