Angeles National Forest Closure - October 23

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

It will be interesting to see how long the ANF remains closed. The San Bernardino NF also closes tomorrow.

Inciweb article:
http://www.inciweb.org/incident/announc ... 1002/6604/
Taco

Post by Taco »

Thanks for the heads-up, Mike.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

As you called it, Mike, here's the SBNF announcement:
Travis

Post by Travis »

HOLLY CRAP?

Where and I going to hike this weekend, I already got the OK to go???

HOLLY CRAP!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Try urban hiking...like this guy. :?

I hear it's always hunting season in L.A. though. :wink:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Well, there's the Santa Monica NRA, Cleveland NF, and Los Padres NF, and Joshua Tree NP. Locally, you could go to Griffith Park.

--or--

MT LUKENS City of LA Route
That portion of the San Gabriels that is in the city of LA should be open. Start here: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=34. ... &layer=DRG (watch the parking restrictions). Go to approx here: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=34. ... &layer=DRG where the trail splits. You can go right up Haines Canyon on good trail, joining the dirt road approx here: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=34. ... &layer=DRG The right fork of the trail goes out of the city of LA and into the ANF for about .25 miles. You'd have to decide if your conscience can live with this.
Or you can go left, joining the Stone Canyon Trail approximately here: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=34. ... &layer=DRG and from that junction proceeding to the summit of Mt. Lukens. The left fork of the trail is followable but brushy, and there's one kind of bad poison oak spot.

You're getting around 2800' gain over about 4 miles and winding up at an elevation over 5000'. Not too bad for a local hike during a forest closure.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

CC on the SGWA Message Board posted that the Cleveland NF was closed yesterday.

I think that Jim is right -- Mt. Lukens may become very popular. I think that the Deukmejian routes are legal (Crescenta View Trail and rim of the Valley Trail).
Travis

Post by Travis »

Yes, Mount Lukens is great city hike. But I have already hiked it.

http://www.gpsmountaineering.com/mountlukens

I guess I could try another route,

thanks,
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

According to this: http://www.towncrier.com/pages/breaking ... 022.b.html all of the local NF's are closed. San Jacinto State Park is also closed according to that article.

Wouldn't be surprised if Santa Monica NRA, Topanga State Park, Will Rodgers, etc. were closed too.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Travis wrote:Yes, Mount Lukens is great city hike. But I have already hiked it.
http://www.gpsmountaineering.com/mountlukens
I guess I could try another route,
The route you took is from Deukmejian (if I'm spelling that right) Wilderness Park, which is an interesting route.

The Sister Elsie trail route that I outlined above is a different route although there's a bit of cross over on the Mt. Lukens Road (less than a mile I think).

If you do do the Sister Elsie route as a loop, it's probably better to do it counter clockwise. It's not always easy to find the spot where the trail leaves the Mt. Lukens Road although I did set up a couple of ducks last time I was there.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I started a discussion on the San Jacinto board about the closure of the SBNF and the State Park. The Skyline Trail from Palm Springs to the Tram is not in the State Park and is the one hard hike in the area that does not get shut down by these fire closures. Unfortunately, you have to stop at the Tram, but you can get in a good honest 8000' climb!
Travis

Post by Travis »

This is getting bad, the way the air quality looks I don’t think I want to be doing anything strenuous, breathing in all that smoke and ash. Very sad :(
Taco

Post by Taco »

Anyone want to do the Compton-Watts traverse via Slauson or Imperial Blvd Ridge? :wink:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

It's good to see that someone here is getting into the urban hiking spirit. I am thinking about kayaking the LA River myself. (I just need some rollers for the kayak -- it sure won't float on bare concrete.)
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Verdugo hills are open...or as the topo says Verdugo mountains hehehe...2000ft of elevation change though from the city of Burbank. I am not sure of exactly what the best canyon is, but suspect the hike is from Sunset canyon, above Deer canyon and then to those radio towers.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=34. ... ayer=DRG25

They have some other hikes in the hills which I rate a 1 star.For example, La Tuna canyon road starting points. I would think a hike from Burbank should grab 2 stars if just for the view of the SFV.

I know there is a hike in there somewhere, I can see it!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

My favorite Verdugo hikes are from the trailheads about a mile west along La Tuna Road from the I-210 crossing. I usually go up one and down the other, with some excursion along the ridge.

There is an informal trail called the Viper Trail that takes off from the end of the short fire road at the top of Mesa Lila Rd. in Whiting Woods. It is quite steep and gets you to the ridge after a nice short workout.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:Anyone want to do the Compton-Watts traverse via Slauson or Imperial Blvd Ridge? :wink:
We have to come up with a new classification system based on the danger of the neighborhood:
Class one: bring cell phone
Class two: bring pepper spray
Class three: bring knife
Class four: bring handgun
Class five: bring Uzi or AK-47

It's those class 5 stretches that really get me.

I understand that cold powerbars in one's chest pocket are actually more effective at stopping rounds than Kevlar. The military has been undergirding their Humvees with them on cold days... :wink:
Taco

Post by Taco »

LOL :lol:

Wonder what a 5.13b would be... :shock:

I'm really surprised and quite relieved that the San Gabriel's did not have any fires. Seems like a gamble most years, especially this year. Roll the dice, hope for the best, least damage.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:Wonder what a 5.13b would be... :shock:
I'm not sure ... but I hear Iran is working on it. :lol:
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

This is amazing!

Can anyone think of a time when the entire Los Padres, Angeles, San Bernardino, and Cleveland NFs have been closed?
Travis

Post by Travis »

Mike P wrote:This is amazing!

Can anyone think of a time when the entire Los Padres, Angeles, San Bernardino, and Cleveland NFs have been closed?
Not I. This is a full on disaster! Just hope the winds die down today and they can start getting it under control, I have had a constant headache since yesterday, the smoke is getting to me. Ash everywhere...
MikeJ

Post by MikeJ »

We have to come up with a new classification system based on the danger of the neighborhood:
Class one: bring cell phone
Class two: bring pepper spray
Class three: bring knife
Class four: bring handgun
Class five: bring Uzi or AK-47

You didn't include baseball bats or swords!
luciano136

Post by luciano136 »

Sierra is the answer peops...
SoCalJP74

Post by SoCalJP74 »

What about Mt. Wilson (or at least to the toll road) from Sierra Madre??
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

You'll quickly enter into the Angeles National Forest (ANF) if you head up the Mt. Wilson Trail out of Sierra Madre - even before you hit First Water.

You can get up to Henninger Flats from Eaton Canyon Nature Center via the "horse trail" and Mt. Wilson Toll Road without entering the ANF. The Toll Road between the bridge and the junction with the upper end of the horse trail passes through ANF, but you don't want to go that route anyway because a land slide blocks it. The horse trail bypasses this part of the Toll Road so it seems like it would be legal to get up to Henninger. Anything above Henninger on the Toll Road is in the ANF and effected by the closure.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Here is an ANF map. The bad news is that most of the places one thinks of (e.g., most of the Mt. Wilson trail from Sierra Madre) are in the NF.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

If it's in the San Gabriels, it's pretty much closed. Private inholdings would be the exception, but if it's private, good luck on getting permission to hike during a fire crisis. I suppose you could hike up the Arroyo Seco near JPL for a ways since that's City of Pasadena, but you run into ANF land quickly there too.

I think your best bets locally are Griffith Park or the Verdugos.

Alternatively, treat yourself, and head out to Joshua Tree, the Sierra, Death Valley, Mojave Preserve, etc. Plenty of good country out there. Great excuse to try something new!
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Chino Hills State Park is closed.
Crystal Cove State Park is closed.
Laguna Coast Wilderness Park is closed.
Riley Wilderness Park is closed.

It looks like a weekend hiking the stair master.
luciano136

Post by luciano136 »

RichardK wrote:Chino Hills State Park is closed.
Crystal Cove State Park is closed.
Laguna Coast Wilderness Park is closed.
Riley Wilderness Park is closed.

It looks like a weekend hiking the stair master.
LOL

Hear the voice calling. Sierra, Sierraaa, Sierraaaa :)
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

luciano136 wrote:Hear the voice calling. Sierra, Sierraaa, Sierraaaa :)
Now I have figured out what that noise in my head was! :D