Stove of the Week: The Caldera Cone

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

This week's stove is the Caldera Cone with 10-12 alcohol burner from Trail Designs.

The Caldera Cone with 10-12 burner is a stable, efficient, and wind resistant ultralight alcohol system that packs well inside a standard Ziploc container that doubles as a bowl.

Packed:

Unpacked:

Believe it or not, everything in the second photo is also present in the first.

I've written a review which is now available on Seattle Backpackers Magazine and there's a supplemental post with further information on my blog. Both can be accessed via this link.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I just added some more photos and a technical appendix listing weights to the blog post.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I used an ordinary 8oz "bottled water" bottle to hold my alcohol; you can see it in the photos. The problem with using a drink bottle of course is that someone might unknowingly take a drink. :shock:

I saw this photo on the web:
The two flattened type bottles fit in together, but it's unlikely that anyone would confuse them with drink bottles. You'd have capacity and safety at the same time.

HJ
everyday

Post by everyday »

thats a pretty cool one! I wish I needed a lil outdoor stove for something! :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

everyday wrote: thats a pretty cool one! I wish I needed a lil outdoor stove for something! :D
It's pretty light and small. It'd fit in that little red pack of yours if you wanted a hot drink or soup out on the trail as the weather turns colder. Careful of ice though!

HJ