Handmade Maps

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

If you're like me, then you have a growing collection of trail maps. And if you're even more like me, you derive a certain pleasure from looking at handmade maps in particular. For the purpose of this thread, I'll define handmade maps as those which, while not necessarily drawn by hand, are clearly the product of no more than one or two people working with basic tools or computer software to create a unique representation of local trails and landmarks. Below are some examples from my personal collection. Please feel free to add any of your favorites.

I found this map at the Fish Canyon bypass trailhead. It was the only copy there. I don't know who created it--maybe someone working for the city of Duarte. The opposite side of the map contains a formal, well-crafted trail description. My favorite part of the map itself is the arrow pointing to a "stream crossing." Unfortunately, the mapmaker forgot to represent the stream.

There are a lot of copies of this map circulating around. It shows the location of every major landmark from the Alpine Tavern days on Mt. Lowe. But what's really cool is how it tells you which way to go to get to Oakwilde Resort.

Paul Ayers runs a trail crew in Rubio Canyon. And he has created a bunch of maps for the area. This one is my favorite because he used my GPS track to update the Lone Tree Trail above the towers.

Another Ayers map, showing the names of restored trails to Echo Mtn. Paul draws the contour lines by hand.

This is a portion of the Forest Service's local map for Big Santa Anita Canyon. I drew in some paths not on the map.

I also enjoy this comprehensive map of Crystal Lake. Instead of updating it in the computer, someone makes corrections by hand and photocopies the hand-edited original. I like how they crossed out the old phone number for Fish & Game and penciled in the new one--as if anyone ever calls Fish & Game.

Last but not least, this glorious, full-color map produced by the city of Glendora shows all the neat trails in those foothills. A nice feature, not found on most maps, is the difficulty rating for each trail. They even include trail widths.
SGBob

Post by SGBob »

Don't forget Chris Kasten's hand-drawn maps of the Chantry Flats area at http://www.canyoncartography.com.

Sean

Post by Sean »

SGBob wrote: Don't forget Chris Kasten's hand-drawn maps of the Chantry Flats area at http://www.canyoncartography.com.

Thanks for the link. I ordered one.

Here's a bonus Big Santa Anita map from the Friends of Big Santa Anita Canyon.

I picked this up at Lizzie's Trail Inn. It has loads of useful information, such as emergency phone and toilet locations.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Did you get the Crystal Lake Campsite map from the cafe?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sean wrote: Did you get the Crystal Lake Campsite map from the cafe?
I don't remember. It would have been from the ranger station, across the parking lot from the cafe. Either that or the internet. Or both, since there are three Crystal Lake maps.

Helpful?
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Sean wrote:
Here's a bonus Big Santa Anita map from the Friends of Big Santa Anita Canyon.

I picked this up at Lizzie's Trail Inn. It has loads of useful information, such as emergency phone and toilet locations.
I have this one printed on a bandanna. Purchased at the pack station a few years back.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I sent this one to the San Gorgonio Boards a year or so ago.
Still trying to figure out the year this was made...

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Nice map collection boys. I'm totally geeking out on your collections.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Mike P wrote: Still trying to figure out the year this was made...

It's a real estate map, of course, for Chester Gillmore & Son. The business is still around (Gillmore Real Estate). They have a website with some historical info.

The son joined the business in 1948, and the father retired in 1960. So the map is probably from that era.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Thank you.

Happy Trails -
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Sean wrote:
Mike P wrote: Still trying to figure out the year this was made...

It's a real estate map, of course, for Chester Gillmore & Son. The business is still around (Gillmore Real Estate). They have a website with some historical info.

The son joined the business in 1948, and the father retired in 1960. So the map is probably from that era.
Thanks, Sean!