Chantry Rd closed 27 Dec 2018

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

There's a sign up that says something like closed by order of US Forestry. It had been open the first weekend of the gov't shutdown, but I guess someone eventually got the bright idea to close it.
dima

Post by dima »

Supposedly the govt shutdown affects water purification, so they decided to close the whole road. Sierra Madre PD says this here:

We have received notice from a representative of the Angeles National Forest that the gate to CHANTRY FLAT WILL BE CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. The closure is due to poor drinking water. The water treatment service is one of the services affected by the current partial government shutdown.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

dima wrote: Supposedly the govt shutdown affects water purification, so they decided to close the whole road.
? Brilliant reasoning. In the 2013 shutdown they shut it without any rationalization other than government shutdown. We had a nice bike ride with it closed. Little too cool today for me to want to be coming down Chantry on a bike.

Thanks for the link; I had been checking the SM City and forgot the PD had a separate account.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Warm enough on Friday 1/4 that we made the bike ride up, a federal shutdown tradition! We saw a group of overnighters, a number of other bicyclists (some did multiple trips to the helipad & back), and also groups of walkers. There are some vehicles with gate access, so stay alert.