Four One Fifteen

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Today Cecelia and I went in search of Four One Fifteen, also known as EW7153, an NGS control station designated "CLEAR", measured to a height of 4115 feet above sea level, and located near Lake Hughes, CA.

After a couple hours of driving, we found ourselves in the Sierra Pelona Mountains, more specifically San Francisquito Canyon. I parked along the roadside near the Green Valley ranger station, and we started westbound up the Pacific Crest Trail toward Grass Mountain.

Throughout the day we saw many beautiful flowers and wildlife.

We followed the trail around the lushier north side of Grass Mountain.

Then we arrived at a junction with a water tank.

After a short break on the tank, which was labeled "Munz Cyn," the trail took us to another junction.

Here we left the trail and hopped on the Lake Hughes Truck Road heading northward.

Now, up to this point, I had not informed Cecelia of our ultimate destination. So when I told her that we were going up that small, partially burnt hill behind her in the above picture, she didn't look too pleased.

But that all changed when I pointed out the witness post and the survey marker at the top.

I then handed her a copy of the NGS station description and watched her try to locate the other reference marks.

She found a second one half-buried in the ground.

Perhaps nobody had even noticed it for over forty years. So we cleaned it up a bit.

Unfortunately we could not find any other station disks up there. Nevertheless, it was an April First well spent.

And we got to visit Grass Mountain as well.

tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Look at you guys going clear. Fun.