Run to the Top

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

Is there anyone here who has done the Baldy Run to the Top and has any practical tips about parking, etc.? I tried the route yesterday as a run, and it was pretty fun. I'm a little leery of signing up because (a) traffic and parking seem like they might be horrible, and (b) they have a policy of no refunds, and I'm afraid they'll cancel at the last minute if there's a covid surge or something. Thinking of just driving up super early in the morning, arriving maybe 5:30 am at Manker. Are they now giving shirts to all runners rather than just the first 50 to register?
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

I've done the Run to the Top twice. It's definitely a fun challenging race. Each time I've arrived there at 7:00 am with decent parking. People are sometimes hesitant at first to park by the side of the road near the start line, but the organizers won't mind if you park there. That's usually the best spot. It'll be busy but I've always been able to get a shirt my size. I'm pretty sure they'll have a shirt for every person who signs up early enough (before 8/15). Last year they canceled the race, and they gave us the option of receiving a refund or crediting it for next year's race. So this year it would probably be the same if it happened again. Also plan on hiking the whole way down, unless you want to wait in line and pay for the ski lifts ($15?).
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

Great info, thanks, Blaise!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

I did it twice, but it's been a while (2008 and 2010). I don't remember parking being an issue as long as you are there by like 7, but again maybe it's more popular now.